I hate to rain on our parade but..

1998 NFC Champions

Scored 442 points (27.6/g), 4th of 30 in the NFL.

Allowed 289 points (18.1/g), 4th.

Differential of 153 points (9.6/g), 3rd.

We had 38 sacks and 19 picks

Let me say that I went to the first Falcons game in 1966 (yes I am a bit older) and I am still a season ticket holder. I look at a team that we all want to go to the Super Bowl. Still, look at the few stats above and read on. The 1998 team had a DL of Travis Hall, Chuck Smith, Shane Dronett, Lester Archambeau.. linebackers of Cornelius Bennett, Jessie Tuggle, and Henri Crockett... DB's of Eugene Robinson, Ray Buchanan, Michael Booker, and Ronnie Bradford. All of your linebackers were over 30 yrs. old. We had tough defensive linemen in their mid-20's.

My take is that with a few exceptions, we have not got a lot of experience on defense and what we do have is not very good. Abraham may be on the way down (I hope not), JA98 is very medicore, Babineaux is good, Chauncey Davis is a tad above average. We do have new, but untested rookies to plug in. We chose not to sign 1 veteran defensive lineman. Linebackers are better with Weatherspoon but he is still a rookie. The DB's are better but not as experienced as the 1998 bunch.

Maybe Dimitroff's method of using "spot players" is different and maybe I don't see it as clearly as I should. Our young talent is in fact superior to 1998 based on the fact that the following year we went from 14-2 to 5-11 with these stats:

Record: 5-11-0, Finished 3rd in NFC West Division

NFL Season Summary

Scored 285 points (17.8/g), 23rd of 31 in the NFL.

Allowed 380 points (23.8/g), 25th.

This is a big drop that I don't see happening to this team. Still, a run at the Super Bowl needs a little veteran help in my opinion and at this point there is little. Thanks for letting me vent just a little.

1998 NFC Champions

Let me say that I went to the first Falcons game in 1966 (yes I am a bit older) and I am still a season ticket holder. I look at a team that we all want to go to the Super Bowl. Still, look at the few stats above and read on. The 1998 team had a DL of Travis Hall, Chuck Smith, Shane Dronett, Lester Archambeau.. linebackers of Cornelius Bennett, Jessie Tuggle, and Henri Crockett... DB's of Eugene Robinson, Ray Buchanan, Michael Booker, and Ronnie Bradford. All of your linebackers were over 30 yrs. old. We had tough defensive linemen in their mid-20's.

My take is that with a few exceptions, we have not got a lot of experience on defense and what we do have is not very good. Abraham may be on the way down (I hope not), JA98 is very medicore, Babineaux is good, Chauncey Davis is a tad above average. We do have new, but untested rookies to plug in. We chose not to sign 1 veteran defensive lineman. Linebackers are better with Weatherspoon but he is still a rookie. The DB's are better but not as experienced as the 1998 bunch.

Maybe Dimitroff's method of using "spot players" is different and maybe I don't see it as clearly as I should. Our young talent is in fact superior to 1998 based on the fact that the following year we went from 14-2 to 5-11 with these stats:

NFL Season Summary

This is a big drop that I don't see happening to this team. Still, a run at the Super Bowl needs a little veteran help in my opinion and at this point there is little. Thanks for letting me vent just a little.

Yeah and how many back to back seasons did we win? Understand that we are building for the long run. Not just to get through one season. By the way this post makes absolutely no sense because we were not even supposed to beat the Minnesota Vikings. I just dont get your argument. :blink:

Edited by Falcon918

We don't know what the defense is going to be until they get out there on the field. Units come together in a way sometimes that nobody sees coming. The 1998 defense was a 1 year wonder. A few things that will factor in:

Is Weatherspoon an upgrade over what we have? (I think he probably is)

Will Jerry return to full strength and can Corey Peters make an impact?

Will Bierman and Sidbury continue to improve?

Will Dunta Robinson live up to the huge contract?

Will Lofton get better in coverage?

Is DeCoud really a player and are the Falcons going to get anything from William Moore?

Will BVG show more imagination this year?

I don't know if this defense is going to be good or not, but we'll find out when these questions are answered.

Your comparison is God awful and full of holes as far as the point you are trying to make.

You are not comparing the 2010 defense with the 1998 defense , you are comparing the 2009 injury riddled defense (Jerry, Moore, Williams) with the 1998 healthy defense that had the missing pieces added (such as our new #1 CB we added that we did not have last year atfer Williams went down with injury).

If you want to make a relevant point, compare the 2009 defense with 1997's defense to show what can happen in a single season with a couple of additions/changes/healthy players.

There were no key players out in 1998, and last year we had all kinds of injuries to players who will be back on the field this year .

You will need to wait until the end of the 2010 season to compare the 2010 defense with the 1998 defense.

that sb defense gave up 30+ in their last two games ,so i wouldn't say it was exactly the ravens or bears sb defenses,younger and faster is what the falcons have drafted so let's see

Actually they only gave up 27 to the Vikings, and I would say that was an incredible defensive performance, all things considered.

In the Super Bowl, they were pretty bad. I blame Eugene.

Amazing how those who start a thread with " I hate to.." don't really seem to mind.

So, I hate to disagree with you, but anybody who isn't excited and hopeful about this D just isn't paying attention to what's been going on. TD&Co have been building this D right.

This D has veteran leadership at each level - Abraham, Peterson , Robinson, Wire, Williams, Giodarno. That's plenty of experience.

There is a core of fast quick hard hitting players on this D- DeCoud, Owens, Grimes, Nicholas, Lofton, Babineaux, Biermann, promising players like Jerry, Moore, Atkins, Walker, Sidbury, rookies like Weathespoon, and Peters.

BVG finally has the players to play his style of D, this D will be fun to watch.

This D will be good enough to win 10+ games, and if, Jerry, Moore, and/or Spoon provide the playmakers this team needs, then this D will be elite.

no

the 98 D was Oceans better,,,,

mainly because of the front 4

C Smith L Archambeau S Dronett and T Hall

were pushing ppl around all year,

throw in Tuggle and Bennett stuffing the run with Big Play Ray and R Bradford holding down the secondary it was a very solid D in 98, we were the only team all yr that came close to slowing down the Vikings....

It was a championship D man, no way are we that good atm...maybe we can get that good, but i dont see it this yr....

The #7 bird shot reply from yours truly.

Lets turn the page forward to 2007.

Since then this team has been gutted and is in the Process of a rebuild that

is one more draft away from completion. (not that any team is ever 100%)

Since 2007 we have put together back to back winning seasons, and like Gonzalez stated.

we under achieved in 2009. (the missed field goals really hurt)

What I see is a Team that is being built for long term as opposed to immediate gratification.

Yes I dream of a Lombardi in Atlanta, but I also dream of this team having winning seasons

for the next 15 years, or to the like of the Atlanta Braves.

The other odd duck to all of this is that it takes 3 years for a player in the NFL to come into his own.

So I raise my cup O java and a shout out to the Long Term Success of the Atlanta Falcons and their Fans.

Cheers,,,,,,y'alll :)

One factor you're not taking into consideration with the drop from the 1998/2000 defenses is actually the offense for the Falcons both years.

In 1998 the Falcons were the #4 Offense in the NFL that year - our average time of possession per game was 33:10 and we had 5487 yards in total offense. In 2000 we lose our star running back and our offense can no longer maintain control of the ball as our time of possession now drops to 28:44 per game and our total yards now drops to 4542 yards.

With our offense being able to control the ball in 1998 the defense was able to stay off the field longer and remain healthy and held teams to a total of 4734 yards a game. With no ball control in 2000 our defense had to stay on the field longer and as a result injuries arose on the defensive side of the ball and gave up a total of 5213 yards for the year.

The key to success is not only with a strong defense but ball control management as well. If both aren't working right one will begin to suffer. Case in point - last year we had injuries to Turner/Norwood/Ryan - TOP: 29:53 - 2008 when they were healthy most of the season - TOP: 31:10. Defensive injuries rose from 2008 and 2009. So personnel on defense is not the only contributing factor -- both sides have to maintained to make for a a run at anything.

There is a different of building plan between the FO of 1998 and 2010 FO. We are doing things the way the Patriots did. Up until recently you didn't see New England sign older big name FA's and that has not produced a SB for them either. They built through the draft, and would get targeted FAs, like a Wes Welker. We have a young team that is already a good team. We have some young players are already in the mid to top of there position. We are missing a few pieces from becoming a great team. As TD says the arrow is up. I don't want a 1998 team, they couldn't win the SB. It's not good enough to just get to the SB, but we have to win it when you get there. Because getting there again is not guaranteed. We are building a team that will be good for a long time. Matt Ryan is in his 3rd year, this will be the best year of his career. Lofton in his 3rd year. We have alot of young players entering into there 3rd year. We now have veterans at each level to help groom the young players. I am really excited about our defense this year from the MMA training. This will help in the front 7 and on the O-line.

The other thing that I really really like is that we are now picking in that

later part of the First Round.

This means that we get really good players at a very reasonable price.

This sets up the ability to have plenty of cap space to pay larger contracts

to the young guys who step up and earn it.

What is the Pittsburg Steelers saying ? you get one BIG contract ?

Still, a run at the Super Bowl needs a little veteran help in my opinion and at this point there is little.

I have to disagree with this. I think we have a lot more veteran help than people realize. Abraham 11 seasons. Peterson 12 seasons. Babineaux 6 seasons. Coleman 7 seasons. Dunta Robinson 7 seasons. Coy Wire 9 seasons. And that's just on defense. On offense we have Tony Gonzalez 14 seasons. Roddy White 6 seasons. Michael Jenkins 7 seasons. Michael Turner 7 seasons. Ovie Mughelli 8 seasons. Todd McClure 12 seasons. Brian Finneran 10 seasons. Brian Williams 8 seasons.

11 of our starters (12 if Brian Williams starts) have 5 or more seasons of experience in the NFL. I think we have a pretty good balance of veterans and young players. The only players with 2 or less years of experience expected to start would be Peria Jerry and Sean Weatherspoon. The only other two potentials I see are William Moore and Chris Owens. But if they beat out veterans for starting gigs, I really don't think that's a bad thing.

Yeah and how many back to back seasons did we win? Understand that we are building for the long run. Not just to get through one season. By the way this post makes absolutely no sense because we were not even supposed to beat the Minnesota Vikings. I just dont get your argument. :blink:

I am simply comparing a Super Bowl team with one that thinks its one.. or wants to be one...I hate the Saints but they are one and their defense was not great and their offense was. We are not really comparable to either one. So all of you go ahead and try and twist reality into what you want it to be. I hope you are right and I am wrong but I don't think I am!!

1998 NFC Champions

NFL Season Summary

We lost Tony Martin to the Dolphins in 99 then we lost the original Jamal Anderson to injury. Dan Reeves had interview, we were built for that one season only, the Smiths wanted to win NOW, but he knew he couldn't keep it together. Why in 2003 I think he was building thru the draft, but then he got booted and Mora came in and used basically Dans team and trashed it. :unsure:

In 2003 we were using the 3-4 and I bet Dan wanted to use 2004 to trade, draft or let go players to fit in that 3-4 defense, because we had Wade Phliips as the D-cordinator. I have always wondred what would have happened if Reeves would have stayed. We might have the Chargers defense when they got good. Mora stunted our growth with bad picks and bad planning more then anything. A lot of things happened when they fired Reeves. 2 bad coaches took us till we finally got a good one. :)

Also anybody notice how Mora jr rides that? I took the 2004 falcons to the NFCCG game, but it was 95% Dans team. Kind of the same way, John Gruden took Tony Dungys Bucs to the Super bowl. ;)

Edited by nativefalcon

I have to disagree with this. I think we have a lot more veteran help than people realize. Abraham 11 seasons. Peterson 12 seasons. Babineaux 6 seasons. Coleman 7 seasons. Dunta Robinson 7 seasons. Coy Wire 9 seasons. And that's just on defense. On offense we have Tony Gonzalez 14 seasons. Roddy White 6 seasons. Michael Jenkins 7 seasons. Michael Turner 7 seasons. Ovie Mughelli 8 seasons. Todd McClure 12 seasons. Brian Finneran 10 seasons. Brian Williams 8 seasons.

11 of our starters (12 if Brian Williams starts) have 5 or more seasons of experience in the NFL. I think we have a pretty good balance of veterans and young players. The only players with 2 or less years of experience expected to start would be Peria Jerry and Sean Weatherspoon. The only other two potentials I see are William Moore and Chris Owens. But if they beat out veterans for starting gigs, I really don't think that's a bad thing.

This is a very different team from '98 but this squad has what it takes. We'll see what happens, no one then thought that we'd be 14-2 and in the SB.

1998 NFC Champions

NFL Season Summary

The reason the stats are so skewed from 98 to 99 is very simple.

In 1998 our TOP #'s would have been very high, we pounded the ball eating up clock and allowing the defense to rest. We rode Jamal Anderson to the SB with play action off of Chandler. We also led the league in turnovers with a +20.

Once Jamal went down in 1999 that formula was done ... Ken Oxendine and Byron Hanspard didn't scare anyone except Falcon fans.

The reason the stats are so skewed from 98 to 99 is very simple.

In 1998 our TOP #'s would have been very high, we pounded the ball eating up clock and allowing the defense to rest. We rode Jamal Anderson to the SB with play action off of Chandler. We also led the league in turnovers with a +20.

Once Jamal went down in 1999 that formula was done ... Ken Oxendine and Byron Hanspard didn't scare anyone except Falcon fans.

Maurice Smith...geez!

In 2008 we had the 11th ranked scoring defense in the entire league. Take a look at the major changes between that defense and this year's defense and tell me why this one can't be better.

The biggest factor was on offense. We had Matt Ryan and Michael Turner fully healthy for the entire seasons and we were #6 in total offense. Since then our starters are mostly the same except add Tony Gonzalez and a couple of years of experience for our other starters. If we have the same success with health this coming season, our offense could easily be top 5.

Here are the major changes on defense. Subtract Keith Brooking, Michael Boley, Dominique Foxworth, Chris Houston, Lawyer Milloy, and Grady Jackson. Replace them with Peterson, Weatherspoon, Dunta Robinson, Chris Owens or Brian Williams, Thomas DeCoud or William Moore, and Peria Jerry. I would say we upgraded at LBer and CB. We took a step back at Safety and DT unless our young players show improvement (which I think they will).

The other change is the level of experience for some of the same players and depth players like Babineaux, Biermann, Nicholas, Lofton, Coleman, Anderson, Coy Wire, Thomas DeCoud, Brent Grimes, Trey Lewis, Chauncey Davis, and Chevis Jackson.

Add our rookies over the last few years to our depth chart, and I think this year's defense could easily outperform our defense of 2008. That defense had 34 sacks.

This is a very different team from '98 but this squad has what it takes. We'll see what happens, no one then thought that we'd be 14-2 and in the SB.

I think what people fail to realize is that our team really had heart. The better question is should we have drafted Randy Moss over Keith Brooking?

1998 NFC Champions

NFL Season Summary

First off our D fell off the next year for several reasons, including RB Jamal Anderson being injured early on taking our run game-ball control offense with him, and letting Tony Martin and Cornelius Bennett go.

Second, our defenses for both years are close except for linebacker. While Lofton matches up well with Tuggle, and Henri Crockett was a rookie just like Weatherspoon is, no way does anyone else in our LB corp match up with Bennett. Also Travis Hall was a multiple All Pro at the time, we simply do not have anyone that can match up to him.

So I do think our D was better back then, Overall....but the D we are developing now could be better in the long run.