Schafer begins rehab with Rome on Monday

Cable Guy

ATLANTA -- When Spring Training concluded, Jordan Schafer was hoping to be a part of Triple-A Gwinnett's lineup by the time May arrived. Still a little behind schedule, Schafer will instead begin a rehab assignment with Class A Rome on Monday night.

Once Schafer proves that he is healthy and ready to face advanced competition, the Braves are expected to promote him to the Gwinnett roster.

Schafer has spent the past few weeks attempting to strengthen his surgically-repaired left hand at the Braves' Spring Training facility. Since undergoing surgery on Sept. 5, he has battled to overcome the muscle atrophy he experienced while spending most of last summer and the early portion of this offseason in a brace or cast.

Schafer homered in two of his first three Major League games last year and then injured his hand during the fourth game the Braves played last year. He struggled while continuing to play with discomfort through the end of May, when he was sent to the Minors. He then played just nine more games before undergoing surgery.

the way our OF and offense is playing (Heyward excluded), it could easily be sooner rather than later. i was expecting him to stay in the minors most if not all of this year, but i'd expect to see him up in September if our OF can start hitting better.

Can't wait till Schafer is ready to be back in the bigs and we can send Cabrera packing. He is completely useless. And he's no where near the defensive player he was made out to be. Every time I see the ball hit in his direction I close my eyes. I think I might have more confidence in Diaz in the field than I do Melky which is saying a ton.

Can't wait till Schafer is ready to be back in the bigs and we can send Cabrera packing. He is completely useless. And he's no where near the defensive player he was made out to be. Every time I see the ball hit in his direction I close my eyes. I think I might have more confidence in Diaz in the field than I do Melky which is saying a ton.

Really? I've been pleasantly surprised by Cabrera's defense. He's no McLouth out there, but he's shown more range than I was expecting.

Really? I've been pleasantly surprised by Cabrera's defense. He's no McLouth out there, but he's shown more range than I was expecting.

There have been a lot of balls where he doesn't come anywhere near them and an infielder has to make the catch. I remember 2 such plays by Infante in the same game as few nights ago on pop ups to short left that stayed in the air forever and he was still no where near catching them. It just seems like he doesn't get to a lot of balls to me.