Joe Hawley Scouting Report - Sporting News

g-dawg

Joe Hawley or Grizzly Adams??? - You Decide :unsure:

hawleymugimg_1121.jpg

Joe Hawley G, UNLV

War Room analysis

Strengths: Is a good athlete who has the speed and quickness to be a very effective blocker downfield on combination blocks, pulls and screens. Does an excellent job of locating and sustaining second-level blocks. Consistently attacks inside the pads of his man and locks him out, keeping him off his chest. Diagnoses well, picks up blitzes and stunts and is quick to help his linemates when he doesn�t have an individual assignment.

Weaknesses: Needs to add 15 to 20 pounds and add strength necessary to hold point of attack against pass rushers and get movement on run blocks. Doesn�t get consistent leverage. Is easily driven backward when he gets too high at the snap. His biggest weakness is footwork. Though he has quickness and agility, he has a bad habit of stopping his feet on contact, causing him to reach and fall off too many blocks. This also causes him to struggle against skilled pass rushers. Is routinely beaten by spin and swim moves because he doesn�t maintain a consistent shuffle.

Bottom line: Hawley is an athletic lineman who clearly has growth potential. He is very productive at getting out and sustaining blocks at the second level but must show more consistent footwork if he is to make an NFL team. Because of his speed and quickness, he warrants a draft pick. If he can bulk up and learn proper footwork, he could develop into a solid utility lineman, capable of playing all three interior positions.

Vinnie Iyer analysis

Hawley is a very athletic lineman, but he'll need to refine his footwork and overall technique. He'll start out as an interior reserve.

Correspondent Analysis

The Falcons wanted to strengthen the interior of the line and get a prospect to groom behind center Todd McClure, who has started 128 consecutive games. Hawley will have to beat out incumbent backup center Brett Romberg or land a backup guard spot. After being groomed for a year or two, Hawley might get a chance to take over the position. But for now, he'll make most of his contributions as a backup center and guard. -- D. Orlando Ledbetter

Edited by g-dawg

Hmm, all 3 interior spots? They love the versatile dudes. I think it means we don't necessarily need as much OL depth if we have 2 or 3 guys who can play all 3 spots. Good move, I wonder when he will be able to start? Seems raw, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting some reps from Blalock or Dahl in the later half of the season.

Hmm, all 3 interior spots? They love the versatile dudes. I think it means we don't necessarily need as much OL depth if we have 2 or 3 guys who can play all 3 spots. Good move, I wonder when he will be able to start? Seems raw, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting some reps from Blalock or Dahl in the later half of the season.

I think 2010 will be a "redshirt" year for Hawley but might play some. I think Falcons ax McClure in 2011 and Hawley becomes the presumptive starter then.