NFC South Breakdown

i will do Falcons last and try to be objective

Carolina Panthers

Some Think Throwing Clausen in is the answer for the Panthers long time qb woos , and it may well be , It worked Fine for Falcons in 2008 and this Panther Offense is close to what Falcons had that year, Good Oline , Run First Mentality and 2 Backs that can flat get it done, If he can win the Job From Moore , who played ok for Panthers last yr , its probably not gonna matter, the big dif between the Panthers 2010 O and that of the Falcons in 2008 is WRs , and Mainly The Main X Factor for Falcons since 2007 . Pro Bowl WR Roddy White vs A still Dangerous but aging slowing Steve Smith. That huge Factor will make it a bit harder for Clausen or Moore to do what Ryan and Flacco did in 2008 , the Big Problem for Panthers will come on the other side of the ball, I Think People do not realize how big of a loss J Peppers will be for this team, Its Not like they were the 85 Bears with him , or even the 2005 Panthers for that matter, Their ability to stop the run or lack their of has slowly been Declining since 2006 , Their D has been Horrid over the past Couple of Season and Now they have lost their Best Player on that side of the Ball with no Major Pick Ups to even come close to evening things out, Panthers Fans may want to hide their Eyes for the next season or 2 because in this 2 team race for the NFC South in 2010 the Panthers are probably not even Playing for 3rd Place in 2010 .

Final Record

Carolina Panthers 5-11

Tampa Bay Bucs

Bucs Fans are use to seeing Good Defense, No Bucs Fans are use to seeing Great Defenses , Since the Late 90s Bucs Fans have Enjoyed the Luxury of one of the Finest Defenses in NFL HISTORY, They Have known the Joy of Raising the Lombardi Trophy , And have had Great Coaching From Tony Dungy and Jon Gruden ,Well Bucs Fans Bad News Those Days are Over.... The Bucs of this Era have not been Known for their high powered Offenses to start with But their is no Hall of Fame Coach in Dungy or Hall of Fame Personality and Fire of Gruden. In TB these Days. they have 1 Big Star left from that mighty Defense and he is well on his way to Safety full time if he stays in the NFL after the 2010 season. They lost a pro bowl wr this yr, they cut the heart out of their D last yr and really all they have done is draft a promising DT , I Expect this D will have some good moments in 2010 but will not even be a shell of what Bucs Fans are use to seeing , well maybe they are getting use to seeing because i dont see much Improvement for this D, Their Big Problem is on Offense , i mean if k2 is not your best, but from what i see only option on Offense you are in Big Trouble Throw in the Coaching Factor and the Bucs along with Panthers are playing for 3rd Place in the NFC South.

Final Record

Tampa Bay Bucs 6-10

New Orleans Saints

In any other year The Saints could play with only 8 guys on Offense and still win 8 games aslong as 1 of those 8 is Drew Brees , But NFC South History tells us they could play with 13 on O and have 2 guys named Drew Brees in that 13 and still not only not win the Div but not even have a winning Record in 2010 following their Super Season in 2009 where they not only won the NFC South but the Super Bowl, Thats gonna be a Mountain the Saints will have to climb in 2010, Now They are in Better Shape to actually re write NFC South History than their past NFC South Foes , They have solid coaching and a Hall Of Fame QB in his Prime. But I dont think they will. i am gonna throw out the Madden Cover and assume the Saints can Avoid that Curse , and they May even avoid the Curse of the South Winner Not Posting a winning Record the next Season, But I look at what made them so much diff from 2008 8-8 squad to the 2009 World and Div Champions and 2 things come to mind. D Sharper and a new Defensive Scheme and Attitude. Looks like Saints will let D Sharper Walk and now Teams have a whole yr of film on that scheme and they will probably be missing the main piece that made it work and the NFL Leader in Ints. so i believe they may avoid the Madden Curse, and they may even Avoid the No Winning Season Curse but I dont see them having a back to back championship season , This is a 2 team race for South IMO and the Saints are in for a Dog Fight tring to fend off Falcons who just wrote some History of Their own after an Injury filled 2009 Campaign .

Final Record

New Orleans Saints 10-6

Atlanta Falcons

If This Team had Addressed its DE Need and they stay Healthy they could have Probably Wrapped up the South by week 14 with what they bring to the Table in 2010. Teams will not be able to count on missed FGs to win Games vs The Birds in 2010. even with the Injuries to M Ryan H Dahl M Turner J Norwood P Jerry W Moore and H Douglas for multiple games and in the last 3 names the entire season and the fact the NFL blessed us with a week 3 byr and 4 good teams coming off their bye week, Those Missed FGs mainly , and the lack of a pass rush and very young corners was the diff between 9-7 and 11-5 maybe 12-4 in 2009.J Elam is no longer on the Falcons Roster , All Those Injured guys will be back along with the Entire Coaching Staff , 80% of NFL Teams would have been happy with that Alone. Falcons also sured up the Secondary by Signing one of the better young corners in the NFL in D Robinson and Drafting A 1st rd LB who can drop and Cover and stuff the run, something the Falcons havent had in a long time. The Big Key For Falcons will be the Play of J Abraham , after a staggering 16 1/2 sacks in 2008 that number dropped to 5 1/2 in 2009. The Falcons will need their young D Ends to step up and play with the confidence that TD Smitty and the FO has shown in them by not signing a proven DE, If they do and Abe just Doubles his 2009 sack total to 11 in 2010 this Falcons team can not only be very very good but go deep into to the Playoffs in 2010 .

Final Record

Atlanta Falcons 11-5

Thats the way I see it....

The win - loss numbers you posted are fairly well put , although I see the falcons finishing below 10 wins .

:lol: As soon as I saw your name on last replied I knew it was going to be a golden pearl of wisdom.

care to elaborate on your prediction this time? Its 1 A.M the floor's open. :rolleyes:

thanks man,

i may should have posted this in Rival Central, i would like to see what rival fans think about what i see in their teams.... i just dont see South being as strong as whole as it has been in recent past, Clearly Falcons and Saints look to be Oceans ahead of Car and TB this yr, But thats why they play the game, and South has been the Hardest Div to call since it was Born. Its very Clear that Falcons and Saints have alot more Talent and better Coaching Staffs than that of the Bucs and Panthers. Maybe 1 of them can shock the world like Falcons did in 08 , But I would not count on it.....

Nice write up, here's my opinion along those lines.

Panthers- I agree with them placing last. Morale is low in NC having a lame duck coach, parting ways with their franchise QB (justifiably so), and losing Peppers to FA. Their running game will still be stout, but most other areas will suffer. I see them going 6-10 maybe 5-11.

Buccaneers- I feel that the Bucs will improve significantly. They played fairly well towards the end of the season with their rookie QB. Along with that newly infused Dline and Williams leading a serviceable running game, I think they manage to go 8-8.

Saints- I don't see much of a drop off happening with them. They've retained their core players, for the most part, and should remain formidable. They go 11-5 maybe 12-4 but will still be surpassed in placing by..

Our Falcons- As stated in my previous post, I see a maturation in our OFF and DEF, as well as the coaching staff. I believe we're witnessing a new "coaching tree" being sprouted. We'll see these things manifested in a 12-4 record.. or better.

I think our Div will be pretty competitive overall.

Bucs - 6-10

Saints - 11-5

Falcons - 10-6

Panther's - 8-8

Thats not to bad Bush. I don't believe too much in predictions cause thiers always room for a game or two to go completly the other way, injuries and hot streaks but....

Bucs 6-10 (+ or - 1-2 games) (Remember that NFC South basement dwellers tend to do much better the following year)

Saints 11-5 (+ or - 2-3 games) NFC winners wheather they have won the superbowl or not have not faired well in the least 15 years but outside a few position losses thier are no obvious signs of a huge dropoff

Falcons 11-5 (+ or - 3-4 games) Maybe a homer here but I think if we can avoid the injury bug this year (and thats always a big if given the nature of football) we've got the most upside for improvement of any team in the division.

Carolina 7-9 (+ or - 1-2 games) Not a good show of faith in Matt Moore when you draft 3 QBs in the draft. Williams and Smith make this a solid team but thier still missing to many playmakers at key positions. Plus Jimmy Clausen is a doosh :P.

as much as I do not like the bucs, they were so pathetic they earned pick #3 throughout the draft. Unfortunately it was a draft loaded with talent. Particularly, DT and they grabbed two real good ones. The odds are that both will end up being excellent starters in the nfl. If they don't then thier franchise will be set back for many years. They were very fortunate to suck so bad at just the right time. Time will tell, but their nemesis will always be us moving forward. Also, I saw no mention of our HUGE COACHING ADVANTAGE... Radio is not the long term answer for the bucs i'm afraid.... cheers.

I'd love to hear the reasoning behind those. :D

1. Falcons went from having one of the best running attacks in the league in '08 to one of the worst in '09. They have nobody that's really proven behind Turner.

2. Ryan had an 80 qb rating in '09, a significant drop from his rookie rating. That's with the added bonus of Tony G.

3. Falcons defense is still a mystery, if you count those bunch of question marks as a positive, then you've to do the same for the Panthers question marks as well.

But, I'm aware how biased some people are, they're more than willing to count on all their question marks as being great the upcoming year while making sure to point out all the question marks on a rivals team as being bad. You know?

Edited by 08NFCSChamps

1. Falcons went from having one of the best running attacks in the league in '08 to one of the worst in '09. They have nobody that's really proven behind Turner.

2. Ryan had an 80 qb rating in '09, a significant drop from his rookie rating. That's with the added bonus of Tony G.

3. Falcons defense is still a mystery, if you count those bunch of question marks as a positive, then you've to do the same for the Panthers question marks as well.

But, I'm aware how biased some people are, they're more than willing to count on all their question marks as being great the upcoming year while making sure to point out all the question marks on a rivals team as being bad. You know?

Ouch. Can't argue that one too much. Spoon's still a rook, Jerrys almost still a rook coming off an injury, we have no idea what we have in Moore and we're putting alot on the shoulders of Dunta Robinson. We've got high hopes though. With a little luck and alot of hard work we can get squeeze this defense into the top 10.

Ouch. Can't argue that one too much. Spoon's still a rook, Jerrys almost still a rook coming off an injury, we have no idea what we have in Moore and we're putting alot on the shoulders of Dunta Robinson. We've got high hopes though. With a little luck and alot of hard work we can get squeeze this defense into the top 10.

Amen. We've all hopes for the question marks to pull through on our teams. They will be the difference makers. Nothing else. If the question marks on the Falcons team show up and the Panther's don't, then the Falcons will no doubt have a much better season, and vice versa, imo. Both of our defenses depend on a lot of guys with limited or no nfl experience.

Honestly, I'd put the Bucs on that plate also, if their defense gets back to form, they'll be a force. They actually drafted some decent talent at WR also. If by some chance all their unknowns show up, it should be a slow season for the rest of us fans.

No comparison. We went 9-7 on sheer will. We were decimated by injuries and had starting linemen playing hurt in many games. Ryan and Turner were both injured and the rest were all starters as well. So break it down. Ryan still avoided a sophomore slump and his combined record is 20-12. Not bad for a QB in the nfl in his first two years. He also did not have his starting slot reciever (Harry Douglas) and we played with practice squad players at best to fill in. Turner is healthy and so will Norwood who both were messed up. Defense gets two of its draft picks back from prior year. Jerry and Moore and we are well on our way to shoring up the defensive backfield. Our so called question marks are all strong suits for this team and could all possibly be back healthy this year on top of a draft that just added some serious talent. You guys need to buckle your chinstraps because you do NOT want to see our full potential!!

Actually, our running attack was not one of the worst. There was a drop off but we were 15th in the league.Middle of the road yes, one of the worst,not so much. Our Pass defense was really the only thing in the toilet, much like your Panthers run defense. You know we had what many would say was the toughest schedule in the league. Have you ever seen a team have to play 3 teams in a row on the road, where each opponent was coming off a by week? I never have before.I know that will be branded as an excuse, just like all the injuries, but I think the Falcons did darn good for all the extraordinarily bad luck they had.

The win - loss numbers you posted are fairly well put , although I see the falcons finishing below 10 wins .

Can you please explain your logic of us getting under 10 wins????

I actually see us in that 11-5,12-4 range this year with addition of draft picks and the return of HD and PJ plus throw in a fit Turner and Matty Ice with another year under his belt I see us doing big things this year.To be fair I think if we only got 9 wins or less that would be a catastrophic failiure on the Falcons part.

I no for sure the FO and Ownership are steering the ship correctly theres no way we do worse than last year also with that killer schedule we got given last year vs this i am comfortable to say 11 plus wins for the Falcons this year.

HASHBROWN3 great point I think thats another thing what people who base there predicitions around what the Falcons are and aren't going to do.I think you nailed it I really agree our coaching staff is some of the very best in the NFL.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Even with this we we're 9-7 and some games were lost due mainly to missed FG's we could have been 10 - 11 wins due to just made FG's.

I think the falcons only got better I don't see how we became worse then last year. Besides our schedule was one of the toughest in the league last year with a week 4 bye. This year is easier.

Edited by Zenduke

Amen. We've all hopes for the question marks to pull through on our teams. They will be the difference makers. Nothing else. If the question marks on the Falcons team show up and the Panther's don't, then the Falcons will no doubt have a much better season, and vice versa, imo. Both of our defenses depend on a lot of guys with limited or no nfl experience.

Honestly, I'd put the Bucs on that plate also, if their defense gets back to form, they'll be a force. They actually drafted some decent talent at WR also. If by some chance all their unknowns show up, it should be a slow season for the rest of us fans.

I see your points, it just seems like your club is going into a rebuilding phase. While we're already a couple of years into ours where its starting to bear fruit. That said, we all know how quickly things change and that nothing is guaranteed.

I also left out our abysmal 66% field goals. That was a killer.

1. I believe the running game will rebound. Turner spent a lot of the season injured as well as Norwood. Jason Snelling is a very underated RB who carried the team on his back with Turner and Ryan out and did a very good job. The passing game with Douglas back should be key to opening up the running game and Kerry Meier could also be new factor in the passing game on 3rd downs and having been a QB in college. Gonzo will also require a lot of attention.

2. Ryan's receivers had quite a few drops last year and there were a couple of games where Ryan had basically zero protection. The offensive line played pretty inconsistently last season and there was a serious lack of depth which has been addressed by this year's draft. I still feel this OL can get the job done barring injury until the new guys are ready to play.

3. Defensive line might be our biggest liabilty. If Jerry can stay healthy, and Bab's suspension isn't too bad, I think we've got DT covered. There's no reason not to believe Abraham will rebound and I like Bierman's play and motor. Our LB corps just got a huge shot of adrenalin with Weatherspoon and CB needs have been addressed. Safety positions might be a question mark but overall, barring injury, I think we have a much improved defense.

Personally I don't think 12-4 is a reach for this club. We start the first seven games with three very tough road games in Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and New Orleans with Arizona, San Francisco and Cincinatti at home . Even if we come out of the blocks at 4-3, we get a bye week in week seven, then have home games against Tampa, Baltimore, Green Bay and New Orleans along with Carolina to end the regular season. The away games after the bye week are winnable in Carolina, Tampa, Seattle and St Louis. This is a much more favorable schedule than the nightmare of one we had last year. I believe if the Falcons can win game #3 in New Orleans, we could see a record better than 12-4.

Turner was Starting to get Crunk , He was Running as hard as any back in the league when he went down, he was also leading the NFL in TDs I Believe.... we played 1/2 our games with our 3rd string back last yr, and for the most part he looked pretty solid as good as 1/2 the NFLs #1 Backs even.... To think the Falcons Running Game will not be Elite if Everyone Stays healthy is wishfull thinking from a Panther Fan whos Run D is in the Basement of the NFL.....