Billy Wagner will retire after season

Unknøwn

Braves closer Billy Wagner told manager Bobby Cox that he plans on retiring at the end of this season, writes Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. The lefty says that he will not play out his $6.5MM option for 2011 which automatically vests if he finishes 50 games.

Cox told Wagner that he believes that he still has the ability to play for a few more years, but the 38-year-old says that he wants to spend more time with his family. Wagner, who turns 39 in July, will earn $7MM this season.

The fireballer is sixth on the all-time saves list with 386 and wants to reach 400, but he's only going to give himself the rest of 2010 to get there.

:blink:

If he was going to "use" the Braves, he wouldn't have told them until after the season.

Not really. He could say that the year was rough on his body and he don't think he could do it anymore. He probably knew that he was going to retire after the year. Now whether or not the Braves knew about him retiring after the year I can't say they did or didn't b/c I have not heard or read anything along those lines. What I do like is that he said he doesn't want the vested money if he earns it. Stand up guy.

Not really. He could say that the year was rough on his body and he don't think he could do it anymore. He probably knew that he was going to retire after the year. Now whether or not the Braves knew about him retiring after the year I can't say they did or didn't b/c I have not heard or read anything along those lines. What I do like is that he said he doesn't want the vested money if he earns it. Stand up guy.

Well, if a guy signs a contract and performs, he can "use" my team as much as he wants.

Hopefully Craig Kimbrel gets the call sometime so he can "see a master up-close" like "K26dp" said. I wasn't really a fan of him anyways do I don't care, this just lets me know that Kimbrel is gonna be here sooner. If we could have gotten the 1999 Wagner I would have some feelings but I could care less. Lets get him 400 saves though.

Can't blame the guy. He has been a good closer. But I feel like he used the Braves just to get 1 more paycheck

I completely disagree with this. He did not come calling us. Wren and Bobby both went and called him. Sounds like they really wanted him. He also said he would only come back if he could be a closer. He has pitched well for us and has done nothing for me to even think he used us for a pay day. Think you are way off on this.

I'm gonna miss Wagner. He's always been one of my favorite players and I never thought he would ever pitch for the Braves. I was pumped when they signed him. I'm sure Chipper was too since Chipper has some pretty nasty numbers against Wagner. So I'm enjoying every chance I get to see him pitch. :)