An early look at the Falcons

falcon057

Atlanta Falcons

An early look at the Falcons’ three-deep depth chart

7:17 am April 30, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Dominique Franks is projected win the return duties in the three-deep depth chart.

BIRDLAND – Falcons head coach Mike Smith is not going to release an “official” 2010 depth chart until training camp according to the team’s website.

But now that most of the major offseason moves have been made, we’ll set up the template for them.

Rookies aren’t handed anything in this early depth chart, except for rookie returner Dominique Franks, he was projected to win the kickoff and punt return jobs.

Sean Weatherspoon, the first round draft pick, is listed No.2 behind both Mike Peterson and Stephen Nicholas.

Here’s what’s in my notebook as the three-deep depth chart that I’ll take out to mini-camp next week:

THREE DEPTH CHART

OFFNESE

QB – 1. Matt Ryan, 2. Chris Redman, 3. John Parker Wilson.

Others: D.J. Shockley.

RB – 1. Michael Turner, 2. Jerious Norwood, 3. Jascon Snelling.

Others: Antone Smith and Dimitri Nance.

FB - 1. Ovie Mughelli. 2. Jason Snelling, 3. Dan Klecko.

WR – 1. Roddy White, 2. Brian Finneran, 3. Kerry Meier

WR – 1. Michael Jenkins, 2. Harry Douglas, 3. Eric Weems

Others: Ryan Wolfe, Troy Bergeron, Tim Buckley, Brandyn Harvey and Andy Strickland.

TE – 1. Tony Gonzalez, 2. Justin Peelle, 3. Keith Zinger

Others: Leroy Banks, Colin Peek and Michael Palmer

LT – 1. Sam Baker, 2. Will Svitek, 3. Blake Schlueter

LG – 1. Justin Blalock, 2. Mike Johnson, Rob Bruggemann

C – 1. Todd McClure, 2. Brett Romberg, 3. Joe Hawley

RG – 1. Harvey Dahl, 2. Quinn Ojinnaka, 3. Jose Valdez

RT – 1. Tyson Clabo, 2. Garrett Reynolds, Blake Schlueter.

DEFENSE

RDE – 1. John Abraham, 2. Lawrence Sidbury, 3. Emmanuel Stephens

DT – 1. John Babineaux, 2. Vance Walker, 3. Thomas Johnson

DT – 1. Peria Jerry, 2. Corey Peters, 3. Trey Lewis

LDE – 1. Kroy Biermann, 2. Chauncey Davis, 3. Jamaal Anderson

Other: Dan Klecko, DT; Rajon Henley, DE; Trey Bryant, DT.

WLB – 1. Michael Peterson, 2. Sean Weatherspoon, 3. Spencer Adkins

MLB – 1. Curtis Lofton, 2. Coy Wire, 3. Bear Woods

SLB – 1. Stephen Nicholas, 2. Sean Weatherspoon, 3. Robert James

Others: Weston Johnson.

RCB – 1. Brian Williams, 2. Brent Grimes, 3. Chevis Jackson

FS - 1. Thomas DeCoud, 2. Matt Giordano, 3. Rafael Bush

SS – 1. Erik Coleman, 2. Williams Moore, 3. Shann Schillinger

LCB – 1. Dunta Robinson 2. Chris Owens, 3. Dominique Franks

Others: Dominique Daniels, CB; Gabe Derricks, S.

SPECIALS

KR – 1. Dominique Franks, 2. Eric Weems, 3. Harry Douglas

PR –- 1. Dominique Franks, 2. Eric Weems, 3. Harry Douglas

P – 1. Michael Koenen, 2. Matt Bryant, 3. Steve Hauschka.

PK – 1. Matt Bryant, 2. Steve Hauschka, 3. Garrett Lindholm.

LS – 1. Joe Zelenka, 2. Justin Drescher.

Any other projections? Will Spoon win the weakside or strongside spots? Who’s the odd linebacker out, Peterson or Nicholas?

Edited by falcon057

I'd make a few changes to it myself.

1. Weatherspoon replaces Peterson, who can back up all 3 LB positions very well. They'll give Peterson a lot of plays, but lots of rest to keep him fresh throughout the year.

2. DeCoud is our FS, Coleman or Moore will be our SS. No way that changes.

3. Wolfe makes the final WR slot over Weems - Weems can return, but Franks can take that away from him, and as a WR he's not especially great, Wolfe may offer more.

4. Meier could be higher than Finneran. I have so much respect for Finneran, and I appreciate what he's done for the organisation, but I have a good feeling about Meier.

5. Colin Peek will get a TE spot over Zinger I think.

6. It's Garrett Lindholm, not Matt. If he shows consistency at camp, he could become the starting PK.

Edited by m cooper 22

Hawley is also a long snapper & allegedly Meier has a booming punt. Kroy can also kick.

I would definitely give Spoon the starting WLB spot. TD already confirmed in interviews that's where he'll be. Peterson is out. Nicholas will start SLB. And Williams coming off a big injury not even sure he makes the 53 much less starts at corner. He likely platoons at nickel or dime only. Hawley has been talked up a lot already by TD. He will likely be #2 in rotation behind Dahl & McClure. Johnson #2 rotation with Blalock.

3. Wolfe makes the final WR slot over Weems - Weems can return, but Franks can take that away from him, and as a WR he's not especially great, Wolfe may offer more.

Wolke may indeed beat him out BUT how can you say Weems is not good??

He was thrown at 6 times caught all 6 thats 100% 2 were TDs that 33%

I wish all the other WRS were "not especially great" also

Other than that I thought Schlueter was an interior lineman ie C/G but they have him at Tackle backup both RT/LT

Edited by delaigle

I don't know if i would rather half Wolfe over Weems or Wolfe over Finneran.

IMO,I think Meier would be a much more productive WR than Finneran at this point. And i think that if we send Weems to the PS then someone is going to snag him up fast. After all, he was a very solid returner and no one can say he was a bad WR because he did everything he could with the lack of opportunity he got.

I love Finn and he has done alot so it would be hard to tell him that he is being sent to the PS or released, but i just think that Meier is a younger and better version of him.

Having said all that i don't want to send Weems to PS cause no way he will last there long.

I don't know if i would rather half Wolfe over Weems or Wolfe over Finneran.

IMO,I think Meier would be a much more productive WR than Finneran at this point. And i think that if we send Weems to the PS then someone is going to snag him up fast. After all, he was a very solid returner and no one can say he was a bad WR because he did everything he could with the lack of opportunity he got.

I love Finn and he has done alot so it would be hard to tell him that he is being sent to the PS or released, but i just think that Meier is a younger and better version of him.

Having said all that i don't want to send Weems to PS cause no way he will last there long.

Finn can't be sent to the practice squad, it's either make the Falcons or be cut. (or traded)

Practice Squad Rules:

Practice Squad Eligibility

According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team's squad unless that team's active roster never dips below 53 players.

Hawley is also a long snapper & allegedly Meier has a booming punt. Kroy can also kick.

I would definitely give Spoon the starting WLB spot. TD already confirmed in interviews that's where he'll be. Peterson is out. Nicholas will start SLB. And Williams coming off a big injury not even sure he makes the 53 much less starts at corner. He likely platoons at nickel or dime only. Hawley has been talked up a lot already by TD. He will likely be #2 in rotation behind Dahl & McClure. Johnson #2 rotation with Blalock.

I worry about Wire, Finn, Jackson, and Weems all nice players but it's going to be tough to make this team. And next year will be tougher.

Edited by falcon057

Wolke may indeed beat him out BUT how can you say Weems is not good??

He was thrown at 6 times caught all 6 thats 100% 2 were TDs that 33%

I wish all the other WRS were "not especially great" also

Other than that I thought Schlueter was an interior lineman ie C/G but they have him at Tackle backup both RT/LT

I'm sorry, but he isn't 'great' is he? Can you honestly say he is? Those stats are nice, I'm pleased he caught 100%, but let's be honest, when you're contribution to the team is 6 catches and some decent field position, you certainly can't expect to stick around if someone else comes along and shows alot of potential.

They guy did his job last year, but if there's an upgrade available. I want us to have it.

1. Weatherspoon replaces Peterson, who can back up all 3 LB positions very well. They'll give Peterson a lot of plays, but lots of rest to keep him fresh throughout the year.

2. DeCoud is our FS, Coleman or Moore will be our SS. No way that changes.

4. Meier could be higher than Finneran. I have so much respect for Finneran, and I appreciate what he's done for the organisation, but I have a good feeling about Meier.

5. Colin Peek will get a TE spot over Zinger I think.

6. It's Garrett Lindholm, not Matt. If he shows consistency at camp, he could become the starting PK.

D. Orlando Ledbetter - Falcons07 — thx!

April 30th, 2010

8:36 am

D LED even miss spelled my name :o :unsure: :D

When I gave him the corrections just to help

D. Orlando Ledbetter - Falcons07 — thx!

April 30th, 2010

8:36 am

D LED even miss spelled my name :o :unsure: :D

When I gave him the corrections just to help

ahahah, it really doesn't surprise me! :)

He just sounds so lost and confused when he speaks. I can imagine him reading his articles out loud and not knowing if they make sense or not :)

I'm sorry, but he isn't 'great' is he? Can you honestly say he is? Those stats are nice, I'm pleased he caught 100%, but let's be honest, when you're contribution to the team is 6 catches and some decent field position, you certainly can't expect to stick around if someone else comes along and shows alot of potential.

They guy did his job last year, but if there's an upgrade available. I want us to have it.

But just why do you think Wolfe is an upgrade, Wolfe's college stats were better But Weems has 2 years experience and it would probably be 2 more years before Wolfe gains much pro experience. He will not get many chances at the #5 spot.

Look I really do not care which one gets the job, quite honestly I do not think either makes it. Wolfe may make the practice squad.

Then Wolfe or Weems may make the 53 man roster if Meier beats out Finn for #4 and one of them beats out Finn for #5.

It just bothers me that Wolfe is automatically better because he is NEW.

BUT either one will have to be better than Meier or Finn to make the 53 man roster and that is going to be hard to do. In addition there are Harvey, Buckley, Bergeron, and Strickland also fighting for those saame #4 and #5 spots.

Edited by delaigle

Im not sure if this was said before or not but am I the only one that loves the depth we have on the defensive line especially at DT. Babs PJ Walker Peters Lewis Johnson and Anderson if need be. DE is pretty deep too with I believe 6. This defense is lookin alot better than last year.

Edited by mrobinson3803

I worry about Wire, Finn, Jackson, and Weems all nice players but it's going to be tough to make this team. And next year will be tougher.

Y are you worried,If they cant keep their spots then obviously the PS or UDFA player is better which makes the team better.Remember Kennan Forney and How he lost his spot to Dahl....Jus say'n

But just why do you think Wolfe is an upgrade, Wolfe's college stats were better But Weems has 2 years experience and it would probably be 2 more years before Wolfe gains much pro experience. He will not get many chances at the #5 spot.

Look I really do not care which one gets the job, quite honestly I do not think either makes it. Wolfe may make the practice squad.

Then Wolfe or Weems may make the 53 man roster if Meier beats out Finn for #4 and one of them beats out Finn for #5.

It just bothers me that Wolfe is automatically better because he is NEW.

BUT either one will have to be better than Meier or Finn to make the 53 man roster and that is going to be hard to do. In addition there are Harvey, Buckley, Bergeron, and Strickland also fighting for those saame #4 and #5 spots.

I like your thought on this and I agree with the majority of your thinking here too. But here is something I have thought about, do you think Meier has the skill set required to be a number 2 in the NFL? can you envisage him being like that this year?

Im not sure if this was said before or not but am I the only one that loves the depth we have on the defensive line especially at DT. Babs PJ Walker Peters Lewis Johnson and Anderson if need be. DE is pretty deep too with I believe 6. This defense is lookin alot better than last year.

I'm liking the DT depth too and looking for a 9-12 overall sack increase, with half of that coming from the DTs. Which would put us at or around 40 sacks for next year.