Gonzo "We Underachieved Last Season"

JayOzOne

I hope everybody on the team feels this way this season.

TE Gonzalez says Falcons 'underachieved' last season.

TagsFalconsNFC SouthTony Gonzalez (24072)Yahoo

Posted April 29, 2010 @ 4:47 p.m. ET

By Dan Parr

The Falcons are coming off back-to-back winning seasons for the first time in franchise history, but no one from the team seemed satisfied with that accomplishment after missing the playoffs in 2009. TE Tony Gonzalez, who is heading into his second season with Atlanta, told PFW he expects better results from the Falcons in 2010.

"I would definitely say we underachieved (last season)," Gonzalez said. "There were a lot of games we let slip away, at least two of them we should have won. A lot of teams are saying that, (with our) kicking problems and all that (stuff). But I expect a lot more out of us this year. We've had a year to work together, especially on the offensive side of the ball. But definitely last year was a learning experience for us, and it's a young football team."

RB Michael Turner and QB Matt Ryan missed time in the second half of last season with injuries, which didn't help the Falcons' cause, but they're back in good health. Atlanta is considered the team most likely to challenge the Saints for the NFC South title.

I was disappointed with not making the playoffs, but I don't know that it was really underachieving. Our schedule was brutal with 4 good teams coming off their bye week; we had a generally difficult schedule anyway; and injuries across our offensive line, and a number of other key players really contributed to the record at the end of the year. Add to that the kicking issues, and how close we were in a number of the games we played despite all that, I really just can't see us winning any less than 12 games in 2010.

We've fixed some of our problems, we'll be getting our top 2 picks from last year back, and the I can't see the injuries being as bad as last year... yeah... 12 wins seems really conservative to me.

I like his attitude because he's not focusing on what we did, but what we still could have done. We were one serviceable kicker away from the playoffs even though we lost a QB and RB for part of the season and two DBs and a DT for most of the season. How good would it have been if we had all of that?

Not to mention that we took the Super Bowl champs to OT without our starting QB and RB.

I think last year's Falcon team may have been about the 3rd or 4th best in franchise history when you consider all the injury factors. And this guy agrees:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/atl/

Look at the column on the far right called "SRS", Simple Rating System. It is a complicated power ranking that takes into account margin of victory, strenth of schedule, and multiple other factors. I tried to read the formula and it gave me a headache. But long story short the 2009 team is ranked higher than both the 2008 and 2004 division champions. It's the 5th highest in team history only behind '73, '80, '98, and '02.

Not to mention that we took the Super Bowl champs to OT without our starting QB and RB.

No, that game ended in regulation. I would remember the heart palpitations if there had been overtime. :P (Gave 'em one h*ll of a run for their money though.)

I like Gonzo's thoughts. We did underachieve. Our offense should have looked more like the 49er's game all the time, and it didn't even before the injuries. But, like he said, they're young, and they've had a year together now (some of them have had two). I can't wait to get this thing started in September!

Edited by BCEaGleATLFaLcOn

A good kicker and getting Harry Douglas back are two HUGE additions. We may have won 11 last year if our kicking game was sound. Plus, Harry was SORELY missed on 3rd downs. The fact we won 9 was a true statement as to how good this team really is.

I totally agree... and think of everything else we're getting and getting back! ...not to mention the development of some key guys! Man, I'm way too excited for it to only be April/May.

I totally agree... and think of everything else we're getting and getting back! ...not to mention the development of some key guys! Man, I'm way too excited for it to only be April/May.

Want to know about the mentality of this team? Watch week 17 against the Bucs last year compared to week 17 against the Panthers under Mora. One team fought like crazy to win that 9th game (on the road) and one completely quit (at home, and then even went so far as to ADMIT they quit). The fact that the team won last season in Tampa told me a LOT about how these guys operate. Year 3 of our rebuilt team could be a GREAT one.

Want to know about the mentality of this team? Watch week 17 against the Bucs last year compared to week 17 against the Panthers under Mora. One team fought like crazy to win that 9th game (on the road) and one completely quit (at home, and then even went so far as to ADMIT they quit). The fact that the team won last season in Tampa told me a LOT about how these guys operate. Year 3 of our rebuilt team could be a GREAT one.

I fully expect it to be.

Underachieved is not a negative on the team necessarily and I don't blame the schedule. Each and every time it looked like we were about to hit our stride we hit another injury. It was a weird year.

One thing that is hopeful this year is that after the Dallas game Smitty finally learned to be more agressive on 4th downs when the defense is being shredded. Hopefully defense can get the stops this year but, in any event, he has lost some of that conservative play calling that kept us from having a chance to win.