Positives From The Braves This Season?

Dharma Initiative

I'll name what I can think of and anyone can feel free to add to it:

- Jurrjens is lowering the cost of his new contract by a nice chunk for us

- Glaus isn't adding to America's unemployment count

You act like Jurrjens has been bad. Not counting the inning he pitched today he had a 2.25 ERA in his other 3 starts without the San Diego game.

-the humor in getting to see just how many games we can lose in a row (sarcasm)

but seriously.

-heyward

-prado

-kris medlen

Especially Medlen. He has been much better than I even though he would. I now have full confidence that if needed he could step into the rotation and perform well, unlike last year, and give us a chance. Only 3 walks for him this year.

You act like Jurrjens has been bad. Not counting the inning he pitched today he had a 2.25 ERA in his other 3 starts without the San Diego game.

You can bend it any way you want. JJ is one of my favorite players but 2 of his 5 starts have been really bad.

I mean Chris Houston was a great corner if you didn't count any games outside of Kansas City in 2008.

I'll give this a shot.

1. Team ERA is 4.34, right at league average. Take out Jo-Jo Reyes's one outing, and we're at 3.93, which would be 7th in the NL, ahead of all other NL East teams except the Mets (who won't keep it up).

2. Team BABiP (batting average on balls in play) is .274. This is pretty bad, and it's almost completely outside the control of the hitters. League average right now is .300. This is something almost always evens out over time. Eventually the Braves will have their share of balls fall in. When that happens, we will score more runs.

3. Despite hitting 30 points below league average, team OBP is only slightly below league average. A few more balls fall in (see #2 above), and team OBP should be well above league average. That *should* equate to more runs scored.

4. The Braves have an 80% stolen base success rate.

5. Martin Prado has had an outstanding month.

6. While his results have been as inconsistant as you'd expect for a 20-year-old rookie facing big league pitching for the first time, Jason Heyward has shown tremendous promise. His .859 OPS is second on the team only to Prado.

7. Tim Hudson and Billy Wagner look not only fully recovered from their respective Tommy John surgeries, but look poised to put up near-career numbers in pitcher-controllable categories.

8. Tommy Hanson may already be the best starting pitcher in the NL East not named Roy Halladay.

9. The Braves rank 5th in the majors in double plays turned.

10. The Braves still have 140 games to turn things around.

You can bend it any way you want. JJ is one of my favorite players but 2 of his 5 starts have been really bad.

I mean Chris Houston was a great corner if you didn't count any games outside of Kansas City in 2008.

You have to throw out the start against the Cardinals because he said hamstring effected his delivery which effected his pitches. So like I said before he has only had 1 bad start.

Oh and comparing Jair Jurrjens to Chris Houston is uttlery stupid. You can count on 1 hand the number of good shutdown games Houston had. You can count on 1 hand the number of times Jurrjens just went out there and just absolutely blew and we didn't have a chance to win.