Tony Washington still waits

atljbo

Tony Washington still waits

Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2010 6:17 PM ET

Before the draft, reports emerged that one of the best prospects in the pool, Tony Washington, had been convicted at age 16 of having sex with his biological sister. He spent two weeks in jail and, more importantly, is a registered sex offender.

Coincidentally (or not), the Abilene Christian tackle has been regarded as radioactive by the NFL, despite being viewed as a Day Two prospect.

But Washington wasn't drafted at all. Since Saturday, he hasn't even received an offer to sign with a team as an undrafted free agent.

"I'm in complete shock," agent Vann McElroy told Darren Rovell of CNBC. "I feel so bad for this kid. This is something that happened seven years ago and, probably because of the [ben] Roethlisberger situation, he hasn't been called."

Frankly, we think the situation has a greater connection to the Dez Bryant situation. It's widely believed in league circles that Dolphins G.M. Jeff Ireland asked Bryant if his mother was a prostitute because Bryant inevitably will face similar (and worse) comments on the field and in the locker room.

Multiply that dynamic by 1,000 as to Tony Washington.

Then there's the reality that teams simply don't want to employ a guy who had sex with his sister. "Disgusting" was the word from one team before the draft. So while football talent ordinarily knows no discrimination, football coaches apparently have yet to embrace the notion of looking the other way when it comes to registered sex offenders.

Whether or not it's fair doesn't matter. Regardless of the specific reason for their aversion, Washington's past conduct lands in territory into which no NFL team is willing to throw a lifeline.

"We spent hours of our time, providing letters, testimonials from people to tell this kid's story," McElroy told Rovell. "It isn't like he's some pervert hanging around in the bushes. He's a good kid who screwed up, who since then was accepted by the board and admitted to one of the most conservative colleges out there. . . . Someone should give this kid a chance."

Eventually, someone will. If a grown man who was a convicted dogfighter and admitted dog killer deserves a second chance, a kid who did something really stupid does, too.

Let me start this off with... What he did was gross... Super gross ... Now after saying that.

This dude has 2nd round talent... He is talented enough to start at LT or RT in a couple of years... Washington is a young guy who made a bad mistake when he was younger.... I hpope we take a chance on him....The risk is well worth the wait... I dont see us taking that chance tho.

Let me start this off with... What he did was gross... Super gross ... Now after saying that.

This dude has 2nd round talent... He is talented enough to start at LT or RT in a couple of years... Washington is a young guy who made a bad mistake when he was younger.... I hpope we take a chance on him....The risk is well worth the wait... I dont see us taking that chance tho.

Yeah I'm shocked he wasn't drafted, and even more shocked that he wasn't snapped up. Even though what he did was wrong, by all accounts he's a really good kid. I hope we give him a chance, as he is so talented.

Danario Alexander, WR, is also still available (I think). We could reunite him with Moore and Spoon?

If he wanted any chance of being offered a contract in the NFL, he definitely needed to be doing thousands of hours of community service. Having sex with your sister isn't exactly going to give good impressions and no matter how much his agent says he is a good kid, he's going to have to prove that himself. No amount of reiteration will appeal to these general managers that he is a good kid and he's going to have to show he's committed and worthy of a spot on a roster.

Did you really expect him to say something bad about his player? He gets a portion of his salary, so he's going to obviously put the most positive information and opinions out there.

If Tony Washington hasn't actually made an impact on his community, I'm not the least bit sorry if some team signs another free agent tackle who hasn't had character issues. That's just common sense. Sign the one who won't hurt your image, not the "underdog" who is liable to possible mishaps in the future (hello, he ****** his sister! No matter how sorry he is, I'm definitely going to question his intelligence when he does something so stigmatized by the public that it's, without a doubt, taboo).

I understand. Everyone wants to hear about the man who succeeded with his second chance. But if he's not being picked up by anyone at this point when so many unknown players are being signed, I am not going to assume he makes up for his mistake with either talent or character.

No one can pick him up now. It would be the top story on the NFL network for days. They would get shots of him at the OTA's. They need anything to talk about this time of year.

Someone will pick him up closer to, or during, training camp when there are plenty of other things to talk about.

Yeah I'm shocked he wasn't drafted, and even more shocked that he wasn't snapped up. Even though what he did was wrong, by all accounts he's a really good kid. I hope we give him a chance, as he is so talented.

Danario Alexander, WR, is also still available (I think). We could reunite him with Moore and Spoon?

I definitely think we should give Alexander a tryout. Let him catch some balls, see how he does.

And the Tony Washington situation is painful. You know there's got to be plenty of teams that want to pick him up. It sucks for him, and it sucks for the teams that could use him.

No one can pick him up now. It would be the top story on the NFL network for days. They would get shots of him at the OTA's. They need anything to talk about this time of year.

Someone will pick him up closer to, or during, training camp when there are plenty of other things to talk about.

Great points.

Hmmmm so a registered sex offender deserves a second chance but a dogfighter doesn't? That is the impression I was left with at the end of that article. Im sorry hate to bring up this point but thats crazy if we cherish a pets life more than another humans. Consensual or not its was still statutory rape with his sister.

Hmmmm so a registered sex offender deserves a second chance but a dogfighter doesn't? That is the impression I was left with at the end of that article. Im sorry hate to bring up this point but thats crazy if we cherish a pets life more than another humans. Consensual or not its was still statutory rape with his sister.

The dogfighter got a second chance!

These are totally different situations, Tony Washington was only 16 when it happened.

Dog-fighting is cruelty to animals, who have no say in the matter, for the purpose of human entertainment. That is really quite different, and a lot worse than two young people having consensual sex. Everyone, myself included, feels that incest is wrong and disgusting, but if you take a step back to explain why, it's only because of social norms and gut instincts.

I think the points raised about the abuse from other teams is very important, and also from his own teammates. A general manager might not be prejudiced, but whoever signs Washington is going to have to throw him into the locker room with a load of other guys who probably feel the same way as you and I do about what he did - so how will that affect team morale and harmony?

For the same reason I suspect that there are gay players in the NFL that no-one knows about - the negative publicity, opposition jibes and potential in-house disruptions make it a sensible choice to keep such things private.

If Washington gets a chance and becomes a star, the taunts from opponents will get stronger and harsher, but his own team and supporters won't care one bit about what he did in the past!

Edited by mrfahaji

We've consistently passed on players with character concerns. The fact that all the other teams are avoiding the radioactive Washington is a bit surprising.

IMO We will always take high character over High Talent. Our people may feel it is easier to teach someone with talent and brains over trying to teach someone character at this age of life!

While he might have learned from his actions this guy is just bad PR.. It doesn't matter when he's signed, it won't be a good look. Having a registered sex offender on the roster would be a nightmare for any team and that's why he's still @ home waiting by the phone. I feel bad for him because he does deserve a 2nd chance. At least he is on firmer ground for the future and hopefully his choices will be wiser.

If he wanted any chance of being offered a contract in the NFL, he definitely needed to be doing thousands of hours of community service. Having sex with your sister isn't exactly going to give good impressions and no matter how much his agent says he is a good kid, he's going to have to prove that himself. No amount of reiteration will appeal to these general managers that he is a good kid and he's going to have to show he's committed and worthy of a spot on a roster.

Did you really expect him to say something bad about his player? He gets a portion of his salary, so he's going to obviously put the most positive information and opinions out there.

If Tony Washington hasn't actually made an impact on his community, I'm not the least bit sorry if some team signs another free agent tackle who hasn't had character issues. That's just common sense. Sign the one who won't hurt your image, not the "underdog" who is liable to possible mishaps in the future (hello, he ****** his sister! No matter how sorry he is, I'm definitely going to question his intelligence when he does something so stigmatized by the public that it's, without a doubt, taboo).

I understand. Everyone wants to hear about the man who succeeded with his second chance. But if he's not being picked up by anyone at this point when so many unknown players are being signed, I am not going to assume he makes up for his mistake with either talent or character.

Taylor, don't play grown up when you do not fully understand the situation. For one he was a kid. Second, we do not know what transpire other than the sex defender registry. Lastly, he's hasn't had any trouble with the law and came to full grips with what he did. If this was you, would you want someone to give you a chance or always bashed and life ruin because of it.

Taylor, don't play grown up when you do not fully understand the situation. For one he was a kid. Second, we do not know what transpire other than the sex defender registry. Lastly, he's hasn't had any trouble with the law and came to full grips with what he did. If this was you, would you want someone to give you a chance or always bashed and life ruin because of it.

Hey, I'm not trying to criticize him. I'm not even saying that he's a bad guy. I'm saying that GM's are fully justified for turning him down and he doesn't necessarily "deserve" his spot on a team.

Edited by taylor228193

What he did as a 16 yr old was wrong as wrong can be, he should be aloud to play for some one, if you cannot forgive others then God cannot forgive you, mercy for the merciful. On judgment day don't go before God with that hardness in your hearts.

What he did as a 16 yr old was wrong as wrong can be, he should be aloud to play for some one, if you cannot forgive others then God cannot forgive you, mercy for the merciful. On judgment day don't go before God with that hardness in your hearts.

What you say is true and I do forgive him and I love him, but that doesn't mean that he HAS to be on my football team...