Clausen Article

Sports

World

http://www.thecowl.com/sports/clausen-picked-in-2nd-round-1.1434726

Clausen Picked in 2nd Round

By Chris Torello ’11 / Sports Staff

| Published: Thursday, April 29, 2010

Updated: Thursday, April 29, 2010

Jimmy Clausen’s 2010 NFL draft did not go according to plan. He was supposed to be a first round draft pick. He was supposed to be answering questions from Erin Andrews about his new team while donning their draft hat. He was supposed to be letting go of his days at Notre Dame.

It did not happen this way.

What did happen was Clausen saw Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow be the only two quarterbacks selected in the first round. From his home in California, Clausen stared at his cell phone screen waiting to see a foreign number appear. The only phone activity was a text of congratulations to Tebow and words of encouragement from fellow draftees.

I’m glad he had to wait.

Clausen will go down in the Notre Dame record books as one of the best statistically-rated quarterbacks to ever throw a spiral in South Bend. He proved he could play the game. But he could never prove anything beyond that.

Clausen slid to the 16th pick in the second round (48th overall) because of his cocky demeanor and inability to lead his team to greatness.

Clausen was born on the goal line and thought he had orchestrated an 80-yard drive to win the game. He is a spoiled brat with a golden arm.

His leadership skills never showed up when it mattered most. This past season, Clausen went over to shake hands with Boston College football player Rich Gunnell following a win over the Eagles. Gunnell insisted that Clausen talk to his team about having more respect for opposing teams following games.

Instead of shaking Gunnell’s hand and acknowledging a player’s thoughts, Clausen shoved him in the chest and walked away. Clausen continued the negativity by turning towards Gunnell and making profane comments. What a great leader.

Clausen never warmed up to the idea that he needed to show humility in order to gain respect among his teammates and the student body. He would ignore free drinks to honor a Fighting Irish victory at the local student bar. Instead of embracing the opportunity to have love and support, he rejected the praise and pretended that no one existed but himself.

So what did one Fighting Irish fan do following a smug look from Clausen? He sucker-punched Clausen square in the face. Should it have happened? No. But was it funny? Absolutely!

Watching the first round of the NFL draft close with Clausen still on the board was a joy to see. It proved that the scouts and teams saw right through his cocky smile that he tried to pass off as humble. His rehearsed speech about wanting to be a team player was just that; rehearsed.

Jimmy Clausen may be a good quarterback in the NFL. He has a great arm and comes in with a professional offense imprinted in his brain. He may get to a Super Bowl one day. But he will never get to call himself a first round draft pick. He will never get to see the guaranteed rookie contract. He will never get to call himself the best quarterback in his draft class.

Clausen is just another college quarterback who had to wait just to get a chance. Maybe now he will learn to enjoy the game and appreciate the world around him.

But I doubt it.

Prior to the draft they were talking about him on one of ESPN's afternoon shows and the reporter said that when he arrived at Notre Dame to announce he was signing with the Irish he showed up in a Hummer and acted like he thought he was already a star. He then told the media he expected to win at least 2 national championships and went on and on about how great the team would be with him on it. Now I see why teams passed. Today's NFL quarterback has to be a leader of men. Clausen will have a tough time if he thinks players in this league will put up with his prima donna act. I hope we smack him! :lol:

i live in indiana and have friends that go to notre dame and they all agree that clausen is a D-Bag and runs his mouth way to much for his own good and a couple people have told me that when he gets a couple good hits on him he turns in to tom brady and just runs and loses his cool and just self destructs, and they also said they wouldnt be suprised if he gets suspended for something stupid just because of how he acts, and i hope to god they are right the guy is just a tool

Edited by hookem falcons

By all reports, Clausen looked solid in mini camp. I think sometimes gm's let perception become reality for some players. Yes he has an edge to him, Ill take that over apathy and laziness. Im sure not everyone taken high in the draft would win the personality award either. Give the guy a chance, people change, they grow up, they learn their lessons, they learn humility. Some guys it takes time.

Like I said I hope we smack him! :lol:

i live in indiana and have friends that go to notre dame and they all agree that clausen is a D-Bag and runs his mouth way to much for his own good and a couple people have told me that when he gets a couple good hits on him he turns in to tom brady and just runs and loses his cool and just self destructs, and they also said they wouldnt be suprised if he gets suspended for something stupid just because of how he acts, and i hope to god they are right the guy is just a tool

:lol::lol::lol: :P