WHICH OF THESE OL WILL NOT MAKE THE 53 MAN TEAM

2010 BACK-UP OFFENSIVE LINEMAN  

79 members have voted

1. 1. WHICH OF THESE OL WILL NOT MAKE THE 53 MAN TEAM

With the recent additions of M Johnson and J Hawley, I was curious who y'all think will get cut to make room for these guys.

I'm assuming that the 2 rookies make the 53 roster, and the existing starters (Clabo, Blalock, McClure, Dahl, and Baker) retain their respective starting roles at least until the start of the regular season.

So which one or more of these guys that I have polled gets cut/sent to the PS?

I think G Reynolds and W Svitek will be let out, for no apparent reason other than they may be the weakest links of that crew in my opinion.

Edited by Speezy

Can Guard Mike Johnson Earn a Starting Spot?

10:24 pm May 2, 2010, by Dawson Devitt (D3)

Can Johnson Take Over a Starting Guard Position?

What's Johnson's Future? (si.com)

Well, obviously Mike Johnson will not come in and replace either left guard Justin Blalock or right guard Harvey Dahl this year, but the Falcons front office surely have some long-term plans for Johnson since they spent a third rounder on him and will have all 3 guards (Harvey Dahl, Justin Blalock, and Quinn Ojinnaka) due to become free agents after this year if no new deal is reached. Justin Blalock and Harvey Dahl seem to be set in their starting guard spots after being the frontline starters the last two years, but you never know once camp starts.

Johnson comes to the Falcons with one of the best resumes for any lineman drafted in the 2010 NFL Draft. Mike Johnson was a three year starter at Alabama in which they compiled a pretty outstanding record, only suffering two losses in two seasons and included two SEC Championship appearances, an SEC Title, and a National Championship. Not to mention that Johnson also was a major part of paving the way for running back Mark Ingram to win the Heisman Trophy in a very close competition. First team All-American and first team All-SEC. Perhaps the biggest recognition to be heaped on Johnson is the fact that he leaves the storied program of Alabama as playing in more games (54) than any other player in Crimson Tide history. That alone should merit some serious consideration that Johnson may have a future starting very soon.

All-Time Games Played Record (blog.al.com)

The former Alabama guard has excellent size (6’5, 312) and could legitimately challenge for a starting spot in the near future, even if not this year. Johnson has an excellent motor, long arms, will work to the second level, and is smart with terrific instincts and awareness. Some knocks on him include not being strong enough, not being stout at the point of attack, and is not overly quick or agile. Obviously the question is not whether Johnson figures into the long term plans, but how soon might Johnson break into the starting lineup.

2009 Atlanta Falcons Offensive Line (9)

4 Tackles – Sam Baker, Tyson Clabo, Garrett Reynolds, Will Svitek

3 Tackles – Harvey Dahl, Justin Blalock, Quinn Ojinnaka

2 Centers – Todd McClure, Brett Romberg

Guard Ranks According to ProFootballFocus.com

Overall Ranking (using comprehensive stats)

Harvey Dahl – 25th (2.9 score)

Quinn Ojinnaka – 56th (-4.4 score)

Justin Blalock – 73rd (-13.0 score)

Top Rating – Jahri Evans (29.4 score)

Pass Block Ranking

Quinn Ojinnaka – 19th (5.1 score)

Harvey Dahl – 36th (2.6 score)

Justin Blalock – 44th (1.4 score)

Top Rating – Steve Hutchison (13.3)

Run Block Ranking

Harvey Dahl – 29th (2.8 score)

Quinn Ojinnaka – 66th (-5.5 score)

Justin Blalock – 74th (-9.4 score)

Top Rating – Jahri Evans (27.1)

QB Sacks

Quinn Ojinnaka – 0, Justin Blalock – 2, Harvey Dahl – 3

QB Hits

Quinn Ojinnaka – 2, Harvey Dahl – 1, Justin Blalock – 13 (ranked last)

QB Pressures

Quinn Ojinnaka – 1, Harvey Dahl – 10, Justin Blalock – 12

The above stats are just that….cold statistics that don’t tell the entire story, such as Quinn Ojinnaka had lower numbers mainly because he only had 333 snaps, compared to over 1,000 a piece for Blalock and Dahl. The statistics also don’t factor in opponents faced, running back effectiveness, offensive coordinator’s play-calls, and offensive balance to name a few. For instance, Jahri Evans took the overall top rating, but gave up 15 QB Pressures and 2 QB Sacks himself.

Is Blalock on the Block? (atlantafalcons.com)

The comprehensive stats do at least give a gauge on where the weakest link might lie on the offensive line. Although Harvey Dahl was far from perfect and only ranked in the top third himself, Justin Blalock ranked near the bottom in several categories and proves to be the weakest of the guards. Ojinnaka surely had good numbers, but had only a third of the snaps that Blalock and Dahl did. The most interesting prospect is the fact that all 3 guards will be due to become unrestricted free agents this year if no new deal is reached. Even though he proved to be very capable in a smaller number of appearances, Ojinnaka will be fighting for his professional life when training camp rolls around in August. Common wisdom would think that Dimitroff will re-up either Dahl or Blalock, but the big question is: will Mike Johnson become a starter sooner, later, or maybe not at all?

Although I think J Blalock will make the 53 man roster and start throughout the season, this article definitely helped me re-evaluate his future here.

With the recent additions of M Johnson and J Hawley, I was curious who y'all think will get cut to make room for these guys.

I'm assuming that the 2 rookies make the 53 roster, and the existing starters (Clabo, Blalock, McClure, Dahl, and Baker) retain their respective starting roles at least until the start of the regular season.

So which one or more of these guys that I have polled gets cut/sent to the PS?

I think G Reynolds and W Svitek will be let out, for no apparent reason other than they may be the weakest links of that crew in my opinion.

Man Svitek is a beast at run blocking. I dont know if I have ever seen an Olineman that can push a Dlineman back with such ease and Svitek does on running plays.

It won't be Oj. they just signed him for another year; which was a surprise to me so I went with Sevtic

Plus, Ojinnaka can play every position. That's what Smitty and TD are looking for in our lineman and its versatility.

Plus, Ojinnaka can play every position. That's what Smitty and TD are looking for in our lineman and its versatility.

Maybe they are looking for whoever can have more off sides penalties than actual snaps. I know he got thrust into starting early in his career, and maybe he is improving. Still, I think he will be first to go.

Maybe they are looking for whoever can have more off sides penalties than actual snaps. I know he got thrust into starting early in his career, and maybe he is improving. Still, I think he will be first to go.

I don't recall Ojinnaka being a problem on the line last year. You're not getting him mixed up with Omiyale, are you?

Omiyale is a starter with the Bears and their fans HATE him because he's a turnstile.

With three guys in the last years of thier contracts at guard, Oji being one of them, one of those guys needs to go, now. It will be Ojinaaka who will be cut.

Then the team has Dahl Blaylock Johnson and Hawley at guard.

Edited by egoprime II

I don't recall Ojinnaka being a problem on the line last year. You're not getting him mixed up with Omiyale, are you?

Omiyale is a starter with the Bears and their fans HATE him because he's a turnstile.

I've only gotten to see a few select games of this past year, but I was basing my opinion on what he had done in 07 and 08. He was offsides all the time, and was consistently blown up. It's been a little while, but I'm reasonably certain I'm not thinking of Omiyale.

It won't be Oj. they just signed him for another year; which was a surprise to me so I went with Sevtic

The problem with letting Stevik go is that there is no other backup at LT for Baker.

Reynolds can play RT but has not played LT at all for the Falcons

and Ojinnaka is not very good at LT

I think Ojinnaka and Romberg are in competition with Hawley and Johnson for the two interior O-line backup spots.

Edited by delaigle

But he is dewdew at every position too.

I am thinking Quinn because he is not good. I won't go as far to say he is BAD. But he ain't good.

And Romberg because of the lack of versatility.

Svitek did a serviceable job when Baker got dinged up. I think he saved his bacon with that performance.

The problem with letting Stevik go is that there is no other backup at LT for Baker.

Reynolds can play RT but has not played LT at all for the Falcons

and Ojinnaka is not very good at LT

I think Ojinnaka and Romberg are in competition with Hawley and Johnson for the two interior O-line backup spots.

You're right. My bad. I just didn't think they would re-sign Ojinnaka and then turn right around and cut him.

Taking into consideration Baker's injury problems so far, it would probably rule out Stevic getting cut.

But he is dewdew at every position too.

I am thinking Quinn because he is not good. I won't go as far to say he is BAD. But he ain't good.

And Romberg because of the lack of versatility.

Svitek did a serviceable job when Baker got dinged up. I think he saved his bacon with that performance.

I think it's Ojinnaka or Romberg. Whoever has the most versatility and value will probably stay.

You're right. My bad. I just didn't think they would re-sign Ojinnaka and then turn right around and cut him.

Taking into consideration Baker's injury problems so far, it would probably rule out Stevic getting cut.

And that's why I picked Svitek or Romberg.

They have been playing Valdez with the 2's at Tackle. Reynolds is playing guard. It will be interesting who rises to the top.

When and where have they been doing this??? I thought the 1st mini-camp started on 7 May.

ARE you talking about 09 regular season practice??

Just thinking I was missing something!

Look last year they kept 9 O-linemen (as usual), I think they will do the same this year, so they start with

Baker/Stivek

Blalock/Ojinnaka

McClure/Romberg

Dahl

Clabo/Reynolds

I believe the 5 starters will return (at least to start the season)

but through preseason add the 2 draftees Hawley and Johnson then the 3 PS players Bruggeman, Valdez, Schlueter

The fact is that all 5 of these are known as interior lineman and it looks like they are all 5 competing for Ojinnaka and Rombergs positions. Yes I know one may beat out Blalock or Dahl but it is more likely they will take Ojinnaka or Rombergs spot.

I do not think they will give up on Reynolds real quickly (since he was an 09 draft pick). Nor do I think there is competition for Stevik's position since he is the only LT besides Baker.

Edited by delaigle