I truly find it Funny

Jaymadd

:lol::lol: Sorry but it is funny to me how sooo many hype up our UDFA like there were somehow the next James Harrison, or the next Probowler. I like the UDFA process because it gives these kids an opportunity to make the team and show that they can stick, but I am also realistic about what usually happens with UDFA, they are usually on the PS or get cut, but a few do make the 53. I am seeing DEpth charts with UDFA making it over proven vets or players that we actually had a reason to use a draft pick for.

Just a Day in the Mind of Jaymadd :D

:lol::lol: Sorry but it is funny to me how sooo many hype up our UDFA like there were somehow the next James Harrison, or the next Probowler. I like the UDFA process because it gives these kids an opportunity to make the team and show that they can stick, but I am also realistic about what usually happens with UDFA, they are usually on the PS or get cut, but a few do make the 53. I am seeing DEpth charts with UDFA making it over proven vets or players that we actually had a reason to use a draft pick for.

Tell this to Jamie Dukes or Jessie Tuggle!

But I agree with you ... so few will make an NFL roster.

i agree. although i do see Colin Peek making the team over Zinger, only because he fits our scheme perfectly.

I actually think that Peek stands a good chance especially since he might be a better receiver than Zinger, and since Rader just retired.

Think of this :

On any given Sunday during the NFL season watching highlights (or lowlights) on ESPN, there are tons of horrible plays...........especially on defense with pathetic tackling, zero pass coverage.........CB's that are clueless, etc.

You sit there and ask "How did these jokers make a team" ??

If "starters" play at that level............who's to say an UDFA doesn't have or deserve a chance ???

Think of this :

On any given Sunday during the NFL season watching highlights (or lowlights) on ESPN, there are tons of horrible plays...........especially on defense with pathetic tackling, zero pass coverage.........CB's that are clueless, etc.

You sit there and ask "How did these jokers make a team" ??

If "starters" play at that level............who's to say an UDFA doesn't have or deserve a chance ???

Well one of those Jokers is gone (Chris Houston) and the other is on his way out (JA98) LOL, so after that hopefully we wont see too many of those players on our roster.

This was one of the deepest drafts in maybe decades this year. Many of this years UDFA's woul have been draft caliber in years past. Add to that the fact we have very mediocre depth at several positions, & I think it's more likely or possible for UDFA's to make or replace depth this year than any year in a very long time.

Lindholm, Wolfe, Woods, Peek, & Bush all have better than usual chances of making the team. Bryant, Weems, Finneran, Adkins, James, Wire, Jackson, Zinger, Giordano, & Schillinger are not locks by any means.

Tell this to Jamie Dukes or Jessie Tuggle!

But I agree with you ... so few will make an NFL roster.

Jamie Dukes was never a very good player - laughable to put Jamie Dukes name in same sentence with Jessie Tuggle..

no reservations for spot in Ga. Dome rafters for a Jamie Dukes banner!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Jamie Dukes was never a very good player - laughable to put Jamie Dukes name in same sentence with Jessie Tuggle..

no reservations for spot in Ga. Dome rafters for a Jamie Dukes banner!!! :lol::lol::lol:

^^^

This!

As for UDFAs, I'm always pulling for the underdog. ;)

This was one of the deepest drafts in maybe decades this year. Many of this years UDFA's woul have been draft caliber in years past. Add to that the fact we have very mediocre depth at several positions, & I think it's more likely or possible for UDFA's to make or replace depth this year than any year in a very long time.

Lindholm, Wolfe, Woods, Peek, & Bush all have better than usual chances of making the team. Bryant, Weems, Finneran, Adkins, James, Wire, Jackson, Zinger, Giordano, & Schillinger are not locks by any means.

Cosign. The depth of the draft pushed a lot of talented guys into UDFA's. I would think we will see a few extra guys making the roster this year.

I think it's funny the number of "camp bodies" that have turned out to be solid players on this team, like Redman, Weems, Dahl, or small name signings like Peelle, Williams, Wire that have had a nice impact.

Whenever a certain position isnt chosen in the draft, fans are always hoping that this "awesome" move or that one will unseat someone that is already questionable and has been on the team for a while. We made back to back winning seasons last year but it was hard to watch and many were hoping for playoffs.

yeah I never get how people get so excited about it. Sure there's a few guys who come UDFA route and make big impacts on their teams, Tuggle and Warner have been mentioned. We might see a few of them make the Falcons team, probably as depth, and maybe surprise us and have a great year, but I'm not going to count on it. And I'm not going to count on any UDFA to replace any starter/player I don't like for whatever reason.

So I expect one or two to make the team, I'm hoping one of them is that kicker!!

yeah, I feel you jay, for example people, for whatever reason, really, really, REALLY, believe Wolfe is going to be a record-setting WR in this league. I'm hoping he does surprise me, but honestly I see Meier having the best chance of seeing any time, and I think he'll be more situational rather than a significant starter. But who knows, America loves the underdog story and some of these guys seem like they could mess around and explode on the scene. too bad this draft was deep in everything BUT DE...guess it's the NCAA trying to conspire against the Falcons and make sure we don't make it to the Superbowl :lol:

I heard a stat the other day somewhere along the lines of 20% of current NFL players were 1st round picks and 19% were UDFA. I haven't taken the time to check it out but if it's true it's interesting.

That said, obviously it isn't often that you get a starter as an UDFA, although the Colts made it to the SB last year with one playing corner.

First of all I agree with you they have a long hard road to make the 53 man roster.

But in 08 4 of the 8 did make the PS and during the 08 season 3 actually got called up to the 53 man roster (part time) Sharpe, Brock, and B. Miller In fact Brock and Sharpe were on the 53 man roster part of 08 and part of 09. Brock is still on the roster.

Miller was signed by the Seahawks (do not know if he is still there). Butterworth was on the PS all of 08 and the beginning of 09,

In 09 they signed 10, 1(JPW) made the 53 man roster and Valdez and Lucas were on the PS all season and are still on the roster. Will they make it???

THE POINT IS these guys will get to do something that many many of the college team mates can't.

They can say I was a Professional football player!!

Edited by delaigle

S I L E N C E - I N F I D E L!!!

All of our rookies are HOF'ers to be.

Yeah, the fact is there are 32 highly thorough scouting departments out there combing every football program in America. Most of the UDFA are nothing more than training camp bodies.

I think the only ones that really might stand a chance are the late bloomers who don't hit their growth spurt until after college. Sometimes offensive lineman fall into this category because it can take until mid-twenties before their large frame bodies really fill out (with muscle mass instead of "baby fat").

Kickers are the obvious exception.

You're right that these guys all have an uphill battle and there is obviosuly a reason why they are UFA's. However, there are a few positins where we do lack quality depth and where there is at least a chance that some of the UFA's could take a roster spot.

There are roster spots at WR. Meier will presumably take Booker's spot. Behind them, Weems and Bergeron have shown little as WRs, although Weems' performance as a returner clearly gives him some value. As much as I respect everything that Finnernan has done over the year, he is clearly on the decline and did not make a significant contrbutiobn last year. I think Wolfe has a chance to takethe last WR spot.

The same goes for TE, where the retirmennt ofradar leaves an open spot, and Zinger hasnlt shown anythign to suggest that he is a lock to beat out the UFA's that we have added.