Unfinished business...

maxatlanta

So we've seen a lot of vets on the market or on the move. Faneca is a prime example and so is Henderson. Both were under contract at a number that was expensive, but more or less market value for their high level of play. The reason they were let go is that the team was able to absorb all cap acceleration during the un capped season.

The second way teams can take advantage of the uncapped year is by front loading deals and being creative with contracts. A large roster bonus is an easy way to pay a player and have the money not count against future caps.

So why am I harping on this? Because the Falcons have not gotten creative or really done anything to take advantage of the uncapped year. Even Dunta's deal is basicly structured like other contracts before this season. We have an opportunity here. We can resign Norwood, Clabo, Dahl, and Koenen. We can extend players like Mughelli, and even franchise guys like Ryan and Lofton. There is likely a way to restructure some vets to accelerate their guranteed money onto this year's payroll. I just haven't seen it.

Look at the youth movement in PHI, or the release of Adalius Thomas in NE. Those teams know what they are doing. PHI completely wiped the contract of McNabb off its books with no future cap ramafications. When the cap comes back there will be some teams out there that are loaded with talent AND cap space. We need to be one of them!

Let it go man, if you look at the draft you should realize where we are as a team, we used this draft to build depth and provide competition for starting spots, we didnt use this draft to find immediate starters. That also means that we wont be seeing many FA pickups that will be starters, so I think that everybody needs to get past this Bring EM HOME TD fix and save it for next offseason. I actually think we are finised for this season and now the TC and MIni-Camp just needs to sort out who are starters will be, and just because we dont sign a Big Name FA doesnt mean we are unfinised.

So we've seen a lot of vets on the market or on the move. Faneca is a prime example and so is Henderson. Both were under contract at a number that was expensive, but more or less market value for their high level of play. The reason they were let go is that the team was able to absorb all cap acceleration during the un capped season.

The second way teams can take advantage of the uncapped year is by front loading deals and being creative with contracts. A large roster bonus is an easy way to pay a player and have the money not count against future caps.

So why am I harping on this? Because the Falcons have not gotten creative or really done anything to take advantage of the uncapped year. Even Dunta's deal is basicly structured like other contracts before this season. We have an opportunity here. We can resign Norwood, Clabo, Dahl, and Koenen. We can extend players like Mughelli, and even franchise guys like Ryan and Lofton. There is likely a way to restructure some vets to accelerate their guranteed money onto this year's payroll. I just haven't seen it.

Look at the youth movement in PHI, or the release of Adalius Thomas in NE. Those teams know what they are doing. PHI completely wiped the contract of McNabb off its books with no future cap ramafications. When the cap comes back there will be some teams out there that are loaded with talent AND cap space. We need to be one of them!

So essentially, you are saying that TD has no idea what he is doing.... Sorry, I don't buy it. There is a reason why we are fans, and why he is the GM of the Falcons. Have a little faith.

PFT - 30% Rule

It means that the player's salary in 2010 can't be more than 30 percent greater than the player's salary in 2009.

This means that unless we give a massive signing bonus, which then means that we are out a potential $20m with no way to recoup if their play falls off, Clabo, Norwood, Dahl and any of our 2007/2008 rookie class can't be re-signed (as their 2009 salary is under $1.6m so no sensible way to get a deal done - no-one will accept a deal worth $2m/season over the long term except kickers), except for Matt Ryan (who is already on plently of money and years).

Mughelli is 29 and contracted until 2012 - how much do you want to give him??

Football Outsiders Under The Cap

Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson's contract provides a team salary number (formerly known as a cap number) of $12 million in 2010. In subsequent years, his team salary numbers are $6.5 million, $7.75 million, $8.75 million, $10.75 million, and $11.25 million. By giving Robinson a guaranteed roster bonus of $7 million in lieu of a signing bonus of the same amount, the Falcons are taking the full amount of $7 million on their books in the current year instead of doing so over the term of the contract. If Robinson becomes a bust, the club's exposure to higher dead money is mitigated by usage of the roster bonus

As can be seen, we have been creative in how we use the uncapped year in Robinson's contract.

-----

I'm sorry, but I don't accept the premise of your argument. We don't have any highly paid busts on our team - so we have no need to unload them (Thomas in NE). Our highest paid players are our key guys, and once a new CBA is negotiated I'm sure we will see some new deals, aprticularly for the Offensive Linemen. However, given that it is uncertain as to whether we will have football in 2011 currently I wholeheartedly endorse TD's sensible "wait and see" strategy.

Edited by FalcoChicquera

TD is a talent evaluator. The poster here is not slamming the Falcons for their draft picks. This is a business/money related question. He is just wondering why in the uncapped year are the Falcons not trying to do more to set it self up for success (money and salary cap wise) in case the cap comes back in 2011. Reasonable question.

TD has said in an interview that he drafted 2 offensive lineman because 3 of the starters were in their last year and 1 one, McClure, is close to retirement. In an uncapped year TD can resign these 3 lineman with a front loaded deal for 2010 and have very little salary cap ramifications for doing so in 2011 if the cap comes back. Arthur Blank has the money, and is not one to pinch pennies when it comes to winning football games.

Are their any interviews with TD talking about contracts and the uncapped year this year?

Will there be any ramifications in 2011 if the cap comes back for teams that tried to beat the system in 2010 by making a part of 2010's front loaded contracts count in 2011?

Let it go man, if you look at the draft you should realize where we are as a team, we used this draft to build depth and provide competition for starting spots, we didnt use this draft to find immediate starters. That also means that we wont be seeing many FA pickups that will be starters, so I think that everybody needs to get past this Bring EM HOME TD fix and save it for next offseason. I actually think we are finised for this season and now the TC and MIni-Camp just needs to sort out who are starters will be, and just because we dont sign a Big Name FA doesnt mean we are unfinised.

You obviously have an agenda. I said nothing about bringing in FA. It's about taking advantage of the uncapped year in other ways. Read what I posted and you will understand.

So essentially, you are saying that TD has no idea what he is doing.... Sorry, I don't buy it. There is a reason why we are fans, and why he is the GM of the Falcons. Have a little faith.

Where did I say anything resembling that? There is still time for us to move future cap costs into this year. According to your logic no one should post any thoughts that don't match our FOs actions, since none of us know better than them.

PFT - 30% Rule

This means that unless we give a massive signing bonus, which then means that we are out a potential $20m with no way to recoup if their play falls off, Clabo, Norwood, Dahl and any of our 2007/2008 rookie class can't be re-signed (as their 2009 salary is under $1.6m so no sensible way to get a deal done - no-one will accept a deal worth $2m/season over the long term except kickers), except for Matt Ryan (who is already on plently of money and years).

Mughelli is 29 and contracted until 2012 - how much do you want to give him??

Football Outsiders Under The Cap

As can be seen, we have been creative in how we use the uncapped year in Robinson's contract.

-----

I'm sorry, but I don't accept the premise of your argument. We don't have any highly paid busts on our team - so we have no need to unload them (Thomas in NE). Our highest paid players are our key guys, and once a new CBA is negotiated I'm sure we will see some new deals, aprticularly for the Offensive Linemen. However, given that it is uncertain as to whether we will have football in 2011 currently I wholeheartedly endorse TD's sensible "wait and see" strategy.

I appreciate that you put some thought into this response. But those numbers listed for Dunta show VERY high cap numbers in the second half of his contract. They made an effort by using a 7mil roster bonus but they could have chosen to push more money into the first year. The deal contains over 20million guranteed (25.5 according to schefter).

You can't recoup guranteed money, roster bonuses, or signing bonuses when a player's level of play falls off. Only if they hold out, get suspended, or violate their contract. It's a risk worth taking to allocate more money to the roster bonus for high character guys with clean track records (Mughelli, Ryan, Lofton, Robinson...).

There's still time. It will be interesting to see if we make some moves with guys who are already here and under contract.

Edited by maxatlanta

You obviously have an agenda. I said nothing about bringing in FA. It's about taking advantage of the uncapped year in other ways. Read what I posted and you will understand.

Where did I say anything resembling that? There is still time for us to move future cap costs into this year. According to your logic no one should post any thoughts that don't match our FOs actions, since none of us know better than them.

lol get used to knee-jerk reactions like that here. Their mind's in the right place just can't hold their faith to TD and our staff under wraps I guess. But about your post, who knows. I'm sure there are stipulations here and there, along with the falcon organization focusing more on schematic players rather than just great ones. From the DTs we've let go of in the past, along with the ones we continue to draft, I think we don't go for the behemoth type monsters in this scheme. But hey, never know what TD will do, he's usually only due one big free agent signing a year(Turner, Gonzo, Dunta) but mayb this year is different

Read your last paragraph. You were talking about the youth movement with PHI and NE, and said they knew what they were doing. So what I got from that was; the FO doesn't know what they are doing because we are not following in the same path as NE and PHI.

I wasn't attacking your thoughts, and you are entitled to your opinion. I was just giving you mine.

My bad see JOhn Henderson and Faneca and Unfinished Business I assumed this was another Bring EM HOME TD thread. I dont think that we were in situations like the Jags and the Jets. Henderson was troulbe in the locker room and his production was going to start to decline at some point due to his age, and given the fact that they had drafted two young DTs, they viewed Henderson and his contract as expendable. Faneca was a FA mistake by the Jets. WE dont have locker room cancers or distractions like Henderson was in Jacksonville, that would justify cutting a solid player. WE had not made any huge mistakes in FA that would cause us to release a highly priced FA. We dont have alot of high priced players that arent contributing to the team. WE are in the same positions as the teams you mentioned. I still dont get what you are complaining about, but I do apologize for jumping to conclusions.

Obie is still producing and playing at a Probowl level, so why cut him just to save a few bucks and risk losing out on a productive member on our team.

I think due to the debate over Henderson my post is being misinterpreted. I am not calling for any FA to be signed, or for any of our guys to be cut. I want to see our front office make use of, even abuse the opportunity to accelerate salary cap numbers onto this year. Likely mostly through restructuring or extending our current players.

Man, there is no telling what TD is doing or thinking about. I am elated that we have had back to back winning seasons, but I hated almost every minute of last season. We have made a move for CB and drafted an OLB...I honestly can't tell you what is going on where pass rush is concerned...we'll see I guess.

I think due to the debate over Henderson my post is being misinterpreted. I am not calling for any FA to be signed, or for any of our guys to be cut. I want to see our front office make use of, even abuse the opportunity to accelerate salary cap numbers onto this year. Likely mostly through restructuring or extending our current players.

That makes sense. I did take your post the wrong way and thought you were looking to unload our higher payed older players. My bad on the miscommunication.

There's a reason Faneca and Henderson were released and the Falcons have not pursued. It's not like The Jets had a brain fart and released Faneca by accident....Same with Jacksonville and Henderson. They either no longer fit the team's scheme, or are past their prime. Even more so why the Falcons have not made the moves. This is what TD does all day...and night. He evaluates talent, assessing whether certain players are still able to contribute and are a good fit for the team. Think about it. Coach Smith worked with Henderson. Don't you think if he could help this team at an affordable price, he would be here by now?

Don't let the uncapped season make you think it's free money. The teams still have to pay the money, and the cap will return, so any big contracts teams offer to players, will have to be rectified in the future. Not many teams have gone on a spending spree.

This is not fantasy football. The Falcons have to consider cost(new stadium in the future) and character. It's not a matter of trusting TD, but a matter of him knowing way more than anyone here. I know that which is why I never start threads with "Should we look at....."