Sometimes it Gets Me

Sipifalcon

Does it sometimes irritate you that we don't look at a alot of good players. In this case possible game changers... It always burns me up when I read the posts on here talking about different players that we would like to have on the team. Examples (Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall(I know long shot but it would've been insane to have him) Alex Brown, John Henderson, Tedd Ginn(could gave up a 6th, who knows he couldve done well with us), etc... I mean I liked our draft picks but there were some names available that I couldnt believe we passed on... Knowing that TD is probably not gonna even look into them. The thing is we really don't like to take risk but sometimes risk could be greatly rewarding, I'm looking at how we passed on Dez Bryant, not signing a veteran DE & the Cowboys took a chance and traded up to draft him... Just giving the Cowboys another serious weapon that is in our conference... I dont know what he might do in the league but there is a good chance that he could have a Randy Moss type season... We need that... also I see that now they're hosting Darren Sharper (Saints to the risk last year and signed this vet and you see what he done) this week... Basically what I'm saying is if we are trying to compete with the most elite teams such as (Saints, Cowboys, etc... )then sometimes we got to take on risks. I'm all for building through the draft but we all know that it could take time, why not add a couple of top vets to come in and groom these young players. I have faith that we will do very well this year but I would be more confident if we brought in some top vets or good FA's to come in and help out... What do you guys think?....

Does it sometimes irritate you that we don't look at a alot of good players. In this case possible game changers... It always burns me up when I read the posts on here talking about different players that we would like to have on the team. Examples (Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall(I know long shot but it would've been insane to have him) Alex Brown, John Henderson, Tedd Ginn(could gave up a 6th, who knows he couldve done well with us), etc... I mean I liked our draft picks but there were some names available that I couldnt believe we passed on... Knowing that TD is probably not gonna even look into them. The thing is we really don't like to take risk but sometimes risk could be greatly rewarding, I'm looking at how we passed on Dez Bryant, not signing a veteran DE & the Cowboys took a chance and traded up to draft him... Just giving the Cowboys another serious weapon that is in our conference... I dont know what he might do in the league but there is a good chance that he could have a Randy Moss type season... We need that... also I see that now they're hosting Darren Sharper (Saints to the risk last year and signed this vet and you see what he done) this week... Basically what I'm saying is if we are trying to compete with the most elite teams such as (Saints, Cowboys, etc... )then sometimes we got to take on risks. I'm all for building through the draft but we all know that it could take time, why not add a couple of top vets to come in and groom these young players. I have faith that we will do very well this year but I would be more confident if we brought in some top vets or good FA's to come in and help out... What do you guys think?....

Ok lets see if I can answer your questions........

TD wants a team that will compete for championships for many years to come, nit field a team of Prima Donnas, or me me me players.

While Dez Bryant has talent...did you watch him against the Georgia Bulldogs last year??? He got busted in the mouth a couple of times, made one really nice touchdown grab, and was basically shut down by my Bulldogs who had inferior corners last year.

Would you rather have a play making LB for a Defense that struggled last year, or a Receiver when we already have White and Gonzo?

The other players all have question marks you mentioned (Age, production, or attitude issues)

And last answer........when did The Saints and Cowboys become elite teams?? The definition of elite status is 5 plus years of great football!!! Dallas finally won a playoff game in like what 9 years. And yes the Saints won the Super Bowl last year, but they hardly are elite when their Defense struggles, and Drew Brees is the only true stud on that football team.

Elite Teams:

Steelers

Colts

Patriots

Edited by FalconDawg27

You take too much of the message board fodder as the gospel.

You are ASSUMING that they do not take a look at them. I don't agree that this is the case. I believe, based on interviews with the FO and comments that come out later that they review every opportunity and make a decision based on need, locker-room value or degradation, scheme fit and financial intelligence.

Just because they don't take every "big name" that everyone on the message board wants them to - does not mean they don't look at them.

Mr. Knight, if you apply our mentality in the draft to our actions in FA you will see that they are one in the same. We only take players that are smart and players that are leaders. A few years back I lived in Washington DC and saw the Redskins grab every big name player he could in FA and what they ended up with was a team of Stars that couldn't win.

We don't need stars we need leaders,We are building a culture of winning.

I have to somewhat agree with the original poster. I wish TD was more aggresive in Free Agency. Last year, we all kind of poked fun at the Saints for trying to rebuild thier defense through free agency. Then the Saints defense became an incredible playmaking machine and they went on to win the Super Bowl.

Ok, so, it's just one year I know.

But....one Super Bowl win is more than the Falcons have. You can't win a bunch of them til you win the first.

I personaly have to go with TD knowing what he's doing.

I in no way shape or form want to be the FKN Jets. They are a joke to me and are going to flop so hard. They are the type of cocky team that picks up every big name player rex ryan can get his dirty *** hands on.

I like being a team of small names that prove thier worth with stats. It's apart of building man. This will be the year i think that all the pieces that people arent understanding that fall into place. I think our expectations fall right into place it's a great time to be a falcons fan right now just you wait and see.

I Gotta agree , if we just let TD handle the Draft and Mckay handle the Free Agents we would have a Super Bowl Roster for sure.... if that were the case our Defensive Starters would probably look like this

Abe de

Haynesworth dt

Babs dt

Peppers de

now that friends is a pass rushing D Line

Dansby lb

Lofton lb

Weatherspoon lb

Robinson cb

Sharper s

Decoud s

Bodden cb

I Gotta agree , if we just let TD handle the Draft and Mckay handle the Free Agents we would have a Super Bowl Roster for sure.... if that were the case our Defensive Starters would probably look like this

Abe de

Haynesworth dt

Babs dt

Peppers de

Dansby lb

Lofton lb

Weatherspoon lb

Robinson cb

Sharper s

Decoud s

Bodden cb

And hope to god that the salary cap never comes back after seeing this

I have to somewhat agree with the original poster. I wish TD was more aggresive in Free Agency. Last year, we all kind of poked fun at the Saints for trying to rebuild thier defense through free agency. Then the Saints defense became an incredible playmaking machine and they went on to win the Super Bowl.

But....one Super Bowl win is more than the Falcons have. You can't win a bunch of them til you win the first.

The Colts never make a splash, they hardly even sign any FAs but there own, yet they've been the most consistent team in the NFL.

You don't want to go the route of the Redskins, but I do think adding the occasional extra guy could be helpful. Basically adding 2 sizeable free agents prior to the draft as opposed to 1.

Taking CB and DE or OLB or WR would have given us more options. The real action this year was in trades...5th rounders acquired solid talent.

I'd like to see Dimi start adding one extra player (than what he does) each year, but am pleased with the overall direction of the team, and am excited to see it come together.

You don't want to go the route of the Redskins, but I do think adding the occasional extra guy could be helpful. Basically adding 2 sizeable free agents prior to the draft as opposed to 1.

Taking CB and DE or OLB or WR would have given us more options. The real action this year was in trades...5th rounders acquired solid talent.

I'd like to see Dimi start adding one extra player (than what he does) each year, but am pleased with the overall direction of the team, and am excited to see it come together.

I agree. I myself am not against him looking for a WR. i wish we would have signed a soild #2 WR iono the WR position on our team is a mystery after roddy. we dont know how jenkins is going to do he could come out and start catching and HD might not play to his potentioal after missing out all last year but i wouldnt count on that one.

Abe de

Haynesworth dt

Babs dt

Peppers de

Dansby lb

Lofton lb

Weatherspoon lb

Robinson cb

Sharper s

Decoud s

Bodden cb

Don't forget about the offense...

Matt Ryan QB

Ronnie Brown WQB*

LaDainian Tomlinson RB

Larry Johnson RB

Willie Parker RB

Michael Turner FB

Brandon Marshall WR (via trade, M. Jenkins/7th)

Roddy White WR

Terrell Owens WR

Antonio Bryant WR

Tony Gonzalas TE

Alge Crumpler TE

*Wildcat Quarterback

Now that, my friends, is a high-powered offense.

Oops, gotta go... CoD MW2 Team Deathmatch is calling my name.

Don't forget about the offense...

Matt Ryan QB

Ronnie Brown WQB*

LaDainian Tomlinson RB

Larry Johnson RB

Willie Parker RB

Michael Turner FB

Brandon Marshall WR (via trade, M. Jenkins/7th)

Roddy White WR

Terrell Owens WR

Antonio Bryant WR

Tony Gonzalas TE

Alge Crumpler TE

*Wildcat Quarterback

Now that, my friends, is a high-powered offense.

Oops, gotta go... CoD MW2 Team Deathmatch is calling my name.

whatchu smoking

It would irritate me, but I understand that we are building a team for a long run more than just a one-hit wonder.... We are adding good, deep talent in most positions and competition breathing down their neck!

I'm excited for a strong year!

Edited by Beezy

+1

Me too. I think TD is an excellent GM, don't get me wrong. I just keep hoping he's waiting to see something particular in a team he's built from the draft, and then - boom - he's going to have an offseason where he knows it's just 2-3 missing pieces, and goes ahead and picks up the right FA players to make it happen.

In all honesty... I'm not sure this year is the year. But when he came onboard, I said I'd be happy if he could bring us a SB in 5 yrs.