Should there be a law prohibiting obese kids from eating at McDonalds?

The Falcon Jedi

If you go to a fast food restaurant and you see a really FAT kid with their FAT parents inhaling Big Macs and fries and milkshakes, shouldn't that be considered parental negligence, or child abuse?

I think it should be illegal and the parents prosecuted accordingly. For the $7 or so they spend stuffing that crap down their kids faces the parents should be responsible enough to take that money and provide more healthy food for their children.

I think all the fast-food chains should take an initiative and refuse to serve visibly obese children anything on the menu that is high fat (burgers and fries and milkshakes) and only offer them items from their low-fat menu (salads).

What do you think.

uh no. it is up to each person what they eat. The government shouldnt have a **** thing to do with it

There are certain foods that should be considered harmful to obese children. And I also think that these fat people and their kids have no ability to govern their own nutrition. This is creating ridiculous costs in health-care that the rest of us are having to pay for thru our taxes and our own medical costs. It needs to end and this would be a great way to make health care more affordable for the rest of us.

There are certain foods that should be considered harmful to obese children. And I also think that these fat people and their kids have no ability to govern their own nutrition. This is creating ridiculous costs in health-care that the rest of us are having to pay for thru our taxes and our own medical costs. It needs to end and this would be a great way to make health care more affordable for the rest of us.

so where does it stop? banning cigs? alcohol?

I would prefer public scorn over government regulation, and I'm pretty surprised that you, self-proclaimed libertarian, would support the latter.

If everyone just started mercilessly mocking the fatties that feed their kids nothing but crap, maybe some of them would say "Man I'm sick of being treated like a fat POS. I'm gonna stop being a fat POS."

But in their defense, when people have to work increasingly more hours to be able to pay the bills, there's less time for home cooking (which is about the only way they could afford to eat healthily). Healthy food is more expensive than fast food.

and what some people cant understand is that some people cant help being fat. I was blessed with a very high metabloism and can eat all the junk I want and not gain a pound. My sister on the other hand, always eats healthy and eats very small potions and gains weight like crazy. So in your mind if she decided that she wanted a cheeseburger since she hasnt had one in years she wouldnt be allowed to eat it?

and what some people cant understand is that some people cant help being fat. I was blessed with a very high metabloism and can eat all the junk I want and not gain a pound. My sister on the other hand, always eats healthy and eats very small potions and gains weight like crazy. So in your mind if she decided that she wanted a cheeseburger since she hasnt had one in years she wouldnt be allowed to eat it?

I too have a high metabolism, blessed with a perfect body thru genetics. But that crap food still clogs our arteries with cholesterol and fat and all other manner of garbage which will invariably kill us with a heart attack one day.

I think you can feed yourself and kids salads and vegetables for the same price if you shop at the right grocery stores. And if there is any price increase it will be nothing compared to the medical bills they will soon be paying to restore their health.

I too have a high metabolism, blessed with a perfect body thru genetics. But that crap food still clogs our arteries with cholesterol and fat and all other manner of garbage which will invariably kill us with a heart attack one day.

I think you can feed yourself and kids salads and vegetables for the same price if you shop at the right grocery stores. And if there is any price increase it will be nothing compared to the medical bills they will soon be paying to restore their health.

yeah that didnt answer the question.

If you go to a fast food restaurant and you see a really FAT kid with their FAT parents inhaling Big Macs and fries and milkshakes, shouldn't that be considered parental negligence, or child abuse?

I think it should be illegal and the parents prosecuted accordingly. For the $7 or so they spend stuffing that crap down their kids faces the parents should be responsible enough to take that money and provide more healthy food for their children.

I think all the fast-food chains should take an initiative and refuse to serve visibly obese children anything on the menu that is high fat (burgers and fries and milkshakes) and only offer them items from their low-fat menu (salads).

What do you think.

SMH at this ^^^^^

Define freedom please?

I am all for freedom, and while it pains me to admit this, I do consider it criminally negligent for parents to allow their children to get fat on fast food and video games. On the other hand... yeah... there are clear violations of freedoms here. This is the most obvious reason to point to when talking about Americans having a shorter life expectancy than some other countries, and one of many many great reasons for strict underwriting in health insurance and against socialized medicine. Let them pay for their own ridiculously expensive health care.

• 2 weeks later...

More infringement on personal freedoms? No thanks.

Who is to say that the fat family gorging at McDonalds got that way from eating fast food? Maybe they are there as a treat to celebrate a good report card or birthday or even as a reward for losing weight.

What if the family suffers from a genetic problem that causes obesity regardless of what they eat.

Keep the govt out of my bedroom, out of my pocket, and off my dinner menu.

SMH at this ^^^^^

Define freedom please?

Is it freedom to stuff junk food into your kids bodies and turn them into ridiculed fat azz slobs? What hope do children have if this is what is considered 'normal' If you cant honestly cook fresh, healthy meals for your children, then you shouldnt be able to have them imo. Any wonder society in general is becoming obese when the easy way out is considered viable and accepted to be normal.

If you cant afford to eat healthy(load of chit) then grow your own vegetables. At least make your children active instead of letting them zone out on the PS3 and television for 13 hours a day...

Obesity is costing the tax payers billions of dollars every year and will only get worse until some types of guidelines are drawn up. We might as well give 9 year olds hand guns otherwise we are imposing on their freedoms :rolleyes:

Edited by d#d#d#

• 1 month later...

That's such a cop-out. No one is cursed with being fat. There's a very simple equation to being fat. Eat more calories then your body uses. Excess calories get turned into fat cells. If your sister became more active and continued a low calorie diet, her body would only have one option: burn the stored calories in the fat cells.

McDonalds and fastfood offer zero healthy options. The "low-fat" on the labels of packaged foods means that they replaced trans fat with processed sugar.

What do you think.

YOU'RE PROBABLY RIGHT JEDI ..... BUT I'D HATE TO BE IN ANY FAST FOOD

RESTAURANT WHEN THEY TRY TO ENFORCE IT. MORE PEOPLE WOULD END UP IN

HOSPITALS THAN THE NORMAL RATE FOR OBESITY. AND IN THESE FAST FOOD

CONFRONTATIONS, THERE WILL BE SOME FATALITIES, AND I AIN'T TALKING ABOUT

NONE OF THE PATRONS EITHER.