NFL.com says we are average

Did not see it posted:

Atlanta Falcons: C+

The Falcons wanted to upgrade the speed and athleticism of their team at a few key areas, but fell short of their intentions. While Sean Weatherspoon adds a dynamic playmaker to their linebacker corps, the team was unable to add a pass rusher to alleviate some of the pressure on John Abraham. The Falcons landed a quality cover man in Dominique Franks in the fifth round, and he could play a pivotal role as a sub-defender in their dime packages. Overall, the team added a few talented players, but it still enters the summer with a some holes to address.

Key picks:

Round 1 (19th overall): Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri

This loquacious playmaker has exceptional speed, and has the potential to be an impact player as a weakside linebacker. Given the importance of the Will in Tampa 2 schemes, Weatherspoon is poised to play a pivotal role as a rookie.

» Video: Falcons select Weatherspoon | Weatherspoon's combine workout | Meet Weatherspoon

Round 3 (83rd overall): Mike Johnson, G, Alabama

Johnson lacks exceptional size, but his toughness and relentless motor allow him to compete in a short area. While he doesn't upgrade the Falcons, he should be a solid backup for the team in his first season.

» Video: Meet Johnson

Round 5 (135th overall): Dominique Franks, CB, Oklahoma

Franks has good ball skills and awareness, and is adept at playing in zone coverage. Given the Falcons' woes against the pass in 2009, Franks could emerge as a contributor in the team's nickel or dime packages.

» Video: Frank's combine workout | Meet Franks

I sort of agree, but I think we get a lower than expected grade do to the lack of flashy players. Of course, time will tell.

I swear all the "Draft Experts" are copy and pasting half thier anylasis from each other. How is Mike Johnson undersized? That dude's as big as a house.

I think I have to agree. BTW, what makes you a "draft expert?" Can you get a BA in "the draft" at your local university?

Mike Johnson undersized? At 6"5 and 312 pounds, WTF is average, or God forbid, "big"? That's the exact same dimensions of All-Pro mauler Steve Hutchinson, minus a whopping one pound. In fact, outside of being one pound short of Hutchison, he's bigger than every single starting guard in the Pro Bowl(1 inch taller than Jahri Evans, but 6 pounds lighter).

Edited by Radical Ace

Mike Johnson undersized? At 6"5 and 312 pounds, WTF is average, or God forbid, "big"? That's the exact same dimensions of All-Pro mauler Steve Hutchinson, minus a whopping one pound. In fact, outside of being one pound short of Hutchison, he's bigger than every single starting guard in the Pro Bowl(1 inch taller than Jahri Evans, but 6 pounds lighter).

i've come to the conclusion that no one wants to say anything nice about us, which is fine with me cause when we win the super bowl we can rub it in everybody's face

lawls. Thanks for the info but who cares what they think. I respect Mayock a heck of a lot more than Kiper but come on, are we really going to think they have more of an insight than TD and our scouting department? I'm not. We will see in the next 2 to 3 yrs. Everyone thinks our #1 need is DE. Of course they think we flopped. TD sees it otherwise and I will trust him over NFL Network or ESPN. This draft was about depth. We have one starter who should be an impact player and then we have guys who will play rolls like Peters and Franks and maybe even Mike Johnson. All those guys could be starters down the road as well and Peters was really a huge pick for us because we rotate so much they want many starter quality guys along the front line. Not to mention Babs could be facing a suspension.

6"5 312 is a big Johnson to me!

Round 3 (83rd overall): Mike Johnson, G, Alabama

Johnson lacks exceptional size, but his toughness and relentless motor allow him to compete in a short area. While he doesn't upgrade the Falcons, he should be a solid backup for the team in his first season.

6'5'' 312lbs (Official) Isn't "exceptional" size?

WTF?

Had we taken Everson Griffin in the third instead of the "no name" Corey Peters we would have gotten an A-grade across the board in the media. Actually if we had traded our 3rd rounder (CP) and next years second to move up in the second round and picked Everson Griffin there, we would have gotten A+'s across the board. TD would look like A GENIOUS to all the draft experts because in doing so, he confirms their belief the Everson Griffin was a major steal at that point in the draft. They would all be "yeah, TD gets me..."

It is ALOT about name-recog. and perception and to a far lesser extent - scouting. Don't worry about the grades.

Had we taken Everson Griffin in the third instead of the "no name" Corey Peters we would have gotten an A-grade across the board in the media. Actually if we had traded our 3rd rounder (CP) and next years second to move up in the second round and picked Everson Griffin there, we would have gotten A+'s across the board. TD would look like A GENIOUS to all the draft experts because in doing so, he confirms their belief the Everson Griffin was a major steal at that point in the draft. They would all be "yeah, TD gets me..."

It is ALOT about name-recog. and perception and to a far lesser extent - scouting. Don't worry about the grades.

Agreed. Ravens pick up a Sergio Kindle and a Mount Cody both of which have alot of room for improvment and were labeled potential busts when it was thought they had first round potetial but all of a sudden you get those guys late and its "look I've heard of those players and look how late they went".