Meet fifth round pick Kerry Meier

Statick

Falcons Q&A: Meet fifth round pick Kerry Meier

7:37 am April 28, 2010, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

NAME: KERRY MEIER, Age 23

Kansas wide receiver Kerry Meier pulls in a 26-yard touchdown reception over Missouri safety Justin Garrett on Saturday in the fourth quarter of the Tigers' loss to the Jayhawks at Arrowhead Stadium on Wednesday, Dec. 3, 2008. ¦ ED ZURGA/The Associated Press

POSITION: Wide receiver

SCHOOL: Kansas (Pittsburg, Kan. High School)

HT, WT: 6-foot-2, 224 pounds

DRAFTED: Fifth round, (165 overall)

(His brother Dylan died the Monday before the draft in a hiking accident in Arkansas. Dylan played quarterback at Kansas State. The funeral was on Monday.)

Q: What was it like getting selected by the Falcons?

A: “I was ecstatic. When I first saw the area code pop up, I wasn’t familiar with who it was, but I picked up the phone and they said the Atlanta Falcons. I was the happiest man on this planet. It’s something that you really can’t put into words right now. But I’m so excited to be where I am today and have the opportunity to come in there and help out in anyway possible.”

Q: How was your combine workout?

A: “It was a great experience getting to go to Indianapolis and have the opportunity to workout for all of the teams. It’s something that I’ll definitely remember. I definitely learned a lot from it. Overall, I thought I did well. You always want to do better. . .but I’m on the verge of getting an opportunity to play.”

Q: Did they come out there or did they bring you to Flowery Branch for a work out?

A: “Actually, I never really had a personal workout with (the Falcons). I had the opportunity to go down to Orlando and play in the East vs. West Shrine Bowl game. I went to the combine and had a pro day. I guess when you combine the three ordeals, I proved something to them and I guess they were happy with what I did on the football field.”

Q: As a receiver, what do you bring to the Falcons?

A: “I think I bring a lot of different things. Not only just being a receiver, coming from Kansas and being an ex-quarterback and having played quarterback, I definitely have a good knowledge of the game and just being a good football player is what I do. I’m really not going to wow you with speed or anything like that, but the one thing I do well is I pay very, very close attention to what I’m doing. I pay a lot of attention to the details. I think I do some other things extremely well. . .I’m looking forward to getting there and going to work.”

Q: After making the switch from quarterback (in 2007), at what point did you know that you were a wide receiver?

A: “Over time. There wasn’t just one instance where I thought ‘hey, maybe I can play a different position other than quarterback.’ Over the past few years I made the transition to becoming a wide receiver. I played a lot of games and had the opportunity, with the offense we ran, it was a spread offense, I caught a whole lot of balls from a great quarterback. Just going through the transition at Kansas I learned a whole lot from a great coaching staff that knew a lot about football. That is going to make the transition from college to the NFL a lot easier. I learned a lot at Kansas through coach (Mark) Mangino. . . I know there is a whole lot of work of ahead of me but I look forward to helping out the Falcons in anyway possible.”

Q: What was your favorite route at Kansas? What was your bread and butter route for the Jayhawks?

A: “I caught a lot of balls over the middle. A lot of over routes, whether if they came off of a boot or a naked (boot). I caught a lot of balls over the middle, catching like digs . . . the intermediate routes. I got a lot of mileage out of catching balls over the middle.”

Falcons Q&A: Meet fifth round pick Kerry Meier

Q: What was your favorite route at Kansas? What was your bread and butter route for the Jayhawks?

A: “I caught a lot of balls over the middle. A lot of over routes, whether if they came off of a boot or a naked (boot). I caught a lot of balls over the middle, catching like digs . . . the intermediate routes. I got a lot of mileage out of catching balls over the middle.”

That is the best part right there. He could potentially open up a lot for our offense. I am worried about his speed tho.

That is the best part right there. He could potentially open up a lot for our offense. I am worried about his speed tho.

He stated that he's not a burner. As long as he knows how to run a route and gets to know how Matt throws, then he can still hurt opposing defenses.

I remember when Steve Largent used to play for the Seahawks. He was the slowest guy out there, but he always found ways to get open. He was like a magician out there in that he'd always be open and make a great catch.

Here's to hoping that Meier can play to at least a quarter of Largent's talent.

He stated that he's not a burner. As long as he knows how to run a route and gets to know how Matt throws, then he can still hurt opposing defenses.

I remember when Steve Largent used to play for the Seahawks. He was the slowest guy out there, but he always found ways to get open. He was like a magician out there in that he'd always be open and make a great catch.

Here's to hoping that Meier can play to at least a quarter of Largent's talent.

The best wr's in this league weren't burners or taken in the first. I like this guy and believe that he can make himself known early.