We Must Have John Henderson

slewis1952

I cannot fathom the hesitation to go after a two time Pro Bowler in John Henderson. Heck, Alan Faneca is released by the Jets and BOOM, the Cardinals give him 2.5 M because they needed a guard. Well we need a DL and Henderson is a very good one. He has missed few games in his career, gives you a huge body on the DL, gives you a high motor player which we sorely need. The only things close to him are rookies who haven't played yet or existing DL members like Chauncey Davis, Babineaux, JA98, and Abraham. Friends, that just ain't going to cut it. Without a pass rush, you can coax Rod Woodson out of retirement and he wouldn't have a chance. We need pass rush and we do not have it. Henderson is only 31 and lord knows we have signed older players who have less skill. SIGN JOHN HENDERSON!!!

Edited by slewis1952

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

again i refer to this because he is a beast and he instantly makes our d line better i heard some where on here that babineux could play d end i think that would be awsome im sure him or peria can do it our deffense is good now but we get henderson and there will be alot of slapping goin on lol

In the end, I have learned not to expect Dimitroff and Smith to make personel decisions based on anything besides their extremely in-depth and intritcate evaluation process and "due diligence".

-- What I'm trying to get at is that, I trust them to make the best possible decision based on what is best for the team.

If they think that we need Henderson, they we will get him.

There is great DT available and we are in need of a push in the middle. You can't double team Abraham, Bierman and Henderson. If we can apply pressure consistently with our front four it will make our secondary much better. I don't understand the hesitation at all.

Sign him up! Why settle for top 10 run D when you can be top 3? He would instantly be our best run stopper and the pocket pushing NT we have been lacking. Let the UTs penetrate. Let the NTs push the OL backwards. That's the recipe I want to see.

Hmmm. I really like the sound of that.

Jerry and Babs are similar in that they're sub-300lb pass rushing DTs.

Peters can pass rush, but he's of above average height and over 300lbs.

Have Peters pack on some weight this year behind Henderson and learn from the big man. Henderson knows Coach Smith's schemes backward and forward. So Peters gets reps in rotation with Henderson AS HE LEARNS FROM HIM, and Jerry rotates with Babs in the UT spot.

That sounds so ideal to me. Your guys are always fresh. Your youngsters are getting to 'practice what they learn' in real time. And you get to diminish the growing pains of having so many young guys as key parts of your defense.

I'm pulling for Henderson. From where I'm standing, it looks like he'd be worth it.

2009 Jacksonville Jaguars 15 36

2008 Jacksonville Jaguars 14 44

2007 Jacksonville Jaguars 15 38

Games # of tackles

JOHN HENDERSON

2009 Atlanta Falcons 13 27

2008 Atlanta Falcons 15 27

2007 Atlanta Falcons 16 30

Games # of tackles

Jaamal Anderson

Is there any doubt between a two time all Pro who averages 2-3 tackles a game PLUS has 29 career sacks versus someone who has barely 2 tackes a game and just 2 1/2 sacks in 3 years?????

Edited by slewis1952

In the end, I have learned not to expect Dimitroff and Smith to make personel decisions based on anything besides their extremely in-depth and intritcate evaluation process and "due diligence".

-- What I'm trying to get at is that, I trust them to make the best possible decision based on what is best for the team.

If they think that we need Henderson, they we will get him.

The silence is deafening!! We have signed one free agent (Dunta) and have not indicated anything else.. it scares me!

I don't understand why we can't just give him a 21 million 1 year deal or something. Guess nobody wants to abuse the system. :P

Why would that deal make any sense? Even if there is no cap, that's still real money that has to be paid. He probably will be lucky to get a quarter of that.

I'd be interested in adding him, but if we don't I could understand that too. If there's anything that Mike Smith knows, it's former Jacksonville players and if he doesn't want to bite, there must be a good reason.

Some of you guys are overrating the fk out of him. Hes decent but no where close to what he was a couple years ago...Just like Peterson who we signed last offseason. Everyone was sipping the kool-aid talking about how he would be so good back in M.Smiths system and now look...hes already been replaced.

Some of you guys are overrating the fk out of him. Hes decent but no where close to what he was a couple years ago...Just like Peterson who we signed last offseason. Everyone was sipping the kool-aid talking about how he would be so good back in M.Smiths system and now look...hes already been replaced.

Peterson was great (would have been a probowler if the season ended at week 5 :P ) but we had no depth behind him and as the season went on his old self wore down. That wouldn't necessarily be the case at DT for Henderson.

Why would that deal make any sense? Even if there is no cap, that's still real money that has to be paid. He probably will be lucky to get a quarter of that.

I'd be interested in adding him, but if we don't I could understand that too. If there's anything that Mike Smith knows, it's former Jacksonville players and if he doesn't want to bite, there must be a good reason.

Why not? You wouldn't have to worry about a cap and its not like Arthur is really scratching it for money (I hope not). The worse that can happen is you set a bad precedent for other 1-year free agents in the years to come but who cares let other teams deal with it. We're not usually a team that relys on Free Agency. Splurge this once while the league is allowing us to do it.

Over rated?? Two time Pro Bowler versus what? Our current D-line is the same as last year and they stunk. There really isn't nothing else to say. I hate to see us go cheap at a time where we are a player or two from the Super Bowl

On paper Henderson would make sense. Smitty & BVG knows him pretty well having coached him in Jacksonville. They didn't have problems getting ex-Jacksonville players like Peterson & Williams when they were cut. Add to that TDs policy of making sure they have the right guys in the locker room, maybe there is a personality problem with Henderson.

It is a little frustrating watching proven players go to other teams for a relatively small price.

I think the past problems generated by #7 really haunts Mr. Blank. They seem to put character before talent. With the character constraints Falcons are picking from a much smaller pool of talent than the rest of the league. That makes it even more difficult to compete with some teams.

Teams like the Patriots, Saints, and Ravens will take a chance on players with some character issues because they have veteran leaders that can keep these guys in check. Falcons lack the same type of leadership. Hopefully guys like Spoon will become these kind of guys down the road so Atlanta can start looking at a wider field of players.

We are in a unique situation at DT. We know we have plenty of talent but outside of Babs that talent has yet to pan out or its unproven. Jerrys still practically in his rookie year. Bring in a Proven Vet like Henderson, rotate him Babs and Jerry, let Jerry and Peters get thier feet wet and let Henderson go his own way in 2011. No way I'd suggest this for a QB or a MLB where constantly swapping bodies can hurt you in the long run but at DT all we need is a stop gap for one year and this no salary cap protects us from painting oursleves in a corner finacially.