TD wanted Graham or Morgan first before Spoon

Hardyfalcon

TD wanted Graham or Morgan first before Spoon, he basically said that in his interview on NFLN, he's happy with spoon and so am i, but he would have picked DE first if they were available. So he may be still looking to upgrade DE for the future.

That may very well be true. But TD did not say anything of the sort on NFLN.

If he did it was likely because there was more depth at OLB than at DE in this draft. The quality DEs were gone before we picked, so there was no reason to trade up to get somebody in the second round for the sake of drafting for the position. Had we been able to get Graham, we could still have found a decent OLB in round 2 but not the other way around.

I saw the interview with him on Saturday and he definitely gave the impression that Witherspoon might not have been the pick if the right DE was available. If not, he wouldn't have needed to mix into his remarks "after a couple of the DEs came off the board earlier" into his remarks.

I believe we would have drafted Graham or Morgan also...With that said... That doesnt mean we settled on anything... If you listen to his pre-draft radio interviews ... TD said e had 5 players targetted for the 19th spot that he really likes....

Regardless... We got a great player

TD wanted Graham or Morgan first before Spoon, he basically said that in his interview on NFLN, he's happy with spoon and so am i, but he would have picked DE first if they were available. So he may be still looking to upgrade DE for the future.

TD had the players rated in this order, Graham, Morgan, Pouncey, Weatherspoon. Weatherspoon more than likely would have been drafted at end of the first or top of the second round had we not taken him at 19. Just a slight reach but spoon will probabley be a good player. TD is young and I believed he learned a lesson in this draft from organizations like philly and others that jumped up a couple spots in the draft to make sure they landed there first or second choice.

Who knows unless your TDs buddy, we got the best player availiable at a Need, some people say that Spoon is best LB on the board, He-ll 75% of the board wanted Spoon for 2 months before the draft now people are 2nd guessing all over the place. Either that or their a ton of newbies on here that will be gone in a month. :P

I'm glad we got Spoon. Hes a 10 year player. ;)

I believe we would have drafted Graham or Morgan also...With that said... That doesnt mean we settled on anything... If you listen to his pre-draft radio interviews ... TD said e had 5 players targetted for the 19th spot that he really likes....

Regardless... We got a great player

Anytime you target 4 or 5 players in a need based draft rather than best available player where you have the 19th pick you are basicly going to take a player with second round value if your first second and thrid choice is gone. TD made a mistake targeting 4 or 5 players. You target 3 and trade up to insure you get your guy.

Who knows unless your TDs buddy, we got the best player availiable at a Need, some people say that Spoon is best LB on the board, He-ll 75% of the board wanted Spoon for 2 months before the draft now people are 2nd guessing all over the place. Either that or their a ton of newbies on here that will be gone in a month. :P

I'm glad we got Spoon. Hes a 10 year player. ;)

I don't think anybody is 2nd guessing the pick. Most of us all like the spoon pick, its just that if one of the top two DEs been available thats what we would have went with. ;)

TD had the players rated in this order, Graham, Morgan, Pouncey, Weatherspoon. Weatherspoon more than likely would have been drafted at end of the first or top of the second round had we not taken him at 19. Just a slight reach but spoon will probabley be a good player. TD is young and I believed he learned a lesson in this draft from organizations like philly and others that jumped up a couple spots in the draft to make sure they landed there first or second choice.

We aren't in the position to do that. Philly had two second rounders and two thirds. That's how they was able to do that. And also Morgan was at the top of his list not Brandon.

Anytime you target 4 or 5 players in a need based draft rather than best available player where you have the 19th pick you are basicly going to take a player with second round value if your first second and thrid choice is gone. TD made a mistake targeting 4 or 5 players. You target 3 and trade up to insure you get your guy.

:lol: Your theory could be right, if any of those 5 players had a second round grade. And trading up in the first is very expensive. TD knows exactly what he is doing. Trading up, when we have other needs, is very stupid.

Watch the video: "when a couple of the defensive ends came off the board early, we then felt comfortable with sid and kroy"

Which hardly constitutes "we wanted graham and morgan but are happy with what we got".

I would have been happy with graham, morgan or spoon. I think the Falcons are too. Anything else is speculation. I am stoked about this draft. Dimitroff and company did a **** of a job. I think. We'll find out in 3-4 years.

He said it on 680 this morning on the Rude Awakening. His words were along the lines of "Everything fell how we thought it was going to. We figured Morgan and Graham would be off the board and so it narrowed it down for us how we thought it would at 19"

Spoon was the (expected) number 3 choice.

funny-dog-pictures-dog-thinks-the-room-is-spinning.jpg

Which hardly constitutes "we wanted graham and morgan but are happy with what we got".

I would have been happy with graham, morgan or spoon. I think the Falcons are too. Anything else is speculation. I am stoked about this draft. Dimitroff and company did a **** of a job. I think. We'll find out in 3-4 years.

Include TG as our 2nd round pick, and this is one of our best drafts in a while.

:lol: Your theory could be right, if any of those 5 players had a second round grade. And trading up in the first is very expensive. TD knows exactly what he is doing. Trading up, when we have other needs, is very stupid.

Weatherspoon had a 2nd round grade. Graham and Pouncey had a top 20 grade and MOrgan a top 15 grade. It isn't stupid to trade up for those 3 guys.

Weatherspoon had a 2nd round grade. Graham and Pouncey had a top 20 grade and MOrgan a top 15 grade. It isn't stupid to trade up for those 3 guys.

Spoon had a second round grade? Really? Who was doing the grading? Cause Corey Peters had a 5th or 6th round grade according to the blogs. TD and Holmgren had him as a 3rd.

So I'm just wondering whose grading system you are using.

Spoon didn't have a second round grade at all. Rick Gosselin had Spoon in his top 32. And he directly get his info from GM's and scouts.

edit: Rick actually had him 26.