360 to Support U-Verse Later This Year

Just a quick little note from Microsoft's CES 2010 keynote, but man it's a surprise. AT&T U-Verse subscribers will soon be able to use their Xbox 360s as a set-top box. AT&T U-Verse is the one IPTV provider in the US -- admittedly there aren't many -- that utilizes Microsoft's Mediaroom platform and while it was announced at CES three years ago that the 360 could act as a Mediaroom set-top, up until now AT&T customers didn't have this option -- well, maybe not now as an exact release date wasn't mentioned. We also don't have a clue if AT&T will charge for this type of thing. Another thing cool that was mentioned was that a Windows 7 PC can also work as a Mediaroom set-top and Mediaroom was even demoed on a Windows Mobile phone.

----------------------------------------------

I don't know a lot about U-Verse but when it comes I'll look into it. I'm not happy with the price of my cable bill and if it can beat it I'll go with it. This along with Netflix and games would keep my 360 on quite a bit.

Guest Regular Guy

Just a quick little note from Microsoft's CES 2010 keynote, but man it's a surprise. AT&T U-Verse subscribers will soon be able to use their Xbox 360s as a set-top box. AT&T U-Verse is the one IPTV provider in the US -- admittedly there aren't many -- that utilizes Microsoft's Mediaroom platform and while it was announced at CES three years ago that the 360 could act as a Mediaroom set-top, up until now AT&T customers didn't have this option -- well, maybe not now as an exact release date wasn't mentioned. We also don't have a clue if AT&T will charge for this type of thing. Another thing cool that was mentioned was that a Windows 7 PC can also work as a Mediaroom set-top and Mediaroom was even demoed on a Windows Mobile phone.

----------------------------------------------

I don't know a lot about U-Verse but when it comes I'll look into it. I'm not happy with the price of my cable bill and if it can beat it I'll go with it. This along with Netflix and games would keep my 360 on quite a bit.

This is a cool thing for sure, hope you have the 360 well ventilated and have a cooling fan.

That's pretty sweet, but can you use it as a DVR? Even the $120 250gb HD isn't enough for a fully functioning DVR. My Directv HR23 has a 500gb and that still fills up.

What in the world do you record? I think my DVR box is 100GB and it has plenty on it in HD.

But yeah U-Verse has DVR built in. I have a feeling that the external USB support will get upped to a higher amount and help out on the memory side.