Stay Classy Miami

SWIFT HITTER

Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland apparently has the biggest balls ever, or the littlest amount of tact and class possible. Because normal people would not ask prospective players if their moms were whores straight to their face.

Ireland and the Fins brought in former Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant for a pre-Draft workout, during which Ireland reportedly asked Bryant is his mother was a prostitute.

Bryant's mother, Angela, had Bryant as a 15 year-old, has publicly admitted to selling drugs in order to provide for her children, and came out as a lesbian a few years ago. Apparently this gave some in the media and front offices concern, despite the fact Bryant has never had problems with drugs himself, or even an arrest record.

"No, my mom is not a prostitute," said Bryant, to Yahoo! Sport's Michael Silver. "I got mad - really mad - but I didn't show it."

Bryant didn't mention Ireland specifically, but Silver says that a source close to Bryant confirmed that it was the Fins GM who asked the invasive and rude question.

Silver rips into Ireland calling him "a strong candidate to be decreed the biggest jerk in the history of job interviewers," and "an A-list A-hole."

He also calls the Dolphins' organizational arrogance" and their "habitually brusque treatment of their current and prospective players" a product of Bill Parcells.

"I don't care who you are or who you're talking to - that kind of question usually gets your [expletive] teeth kicked in," former NFL lineman Kyle Turley tells Yahoo!. "I mean, where do these people come from? That's just completely [expletive] classless and totally unprofessional."

Silver also rips Stephen Ross to shreds, as well as the Dolphins handling of the Jason Taylor situation. So if you're up for some anti-front office diatribe, it's certainly worth a read.

Bryant, meanwhile, got drafted to the Cowboys after the Dolphins brought in Brando

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gritz

No excuse for that from any front office.....Only gives me more reason to dislike the Fish and their President...The Big Carp.

this is wierd. I just read this article. Long one if you want ot read it all. http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ao7DaJonWn7fpicj1FhwdZxDubYF?slug=ms-trippintuesday042710

But it speaks volumes about class, integrity, and character. I noticed he has offered his apology now that he is exposed but I ain't buying it. This gives teams the ability to enjoy a real nice hate grudge whien they line up against these low class morons. I can't imagine how angry that would make me if that dude looked me in the eye and seriously proposed that same question. I don't know how Dez Bryant was able to restrain himself but I give him all the credit in the world cause I don't believe I could have done that... we falcons are lucky to have a different class of men running things.

this is wierd. I just read this article. Long one if you want ot read it all. http://sports.yahoo....intuesday042710

But it speaks volumes about class, integrity, and character. I noticed he has offered his apology now that he is exposed but I ain't buying it. This gives teams the ability to enjoy a real nice hate grudge whien they line up against these low class morons. I can't imagine how angry that would make me if that dude looked me in the eye and seriously proposed that same question. I don't know how Dez Bryant was able to restrain himself but I give him all the credit in the world cause I don't believe I could have done that... we falcons are lucky to have a different class of men running things.

Whew ! ! !

Glad Parcells was just using us as a spring board. Goes along with this crap too.

So what if he said Yes, she was a prostitute? What difference would that make?

+1

Good point. Completely irrelevant question. Some of us have parents with questionable backgrounds and it doesn't give us an excuse to mess up just like anyone else. It's none of Ireland's business what his mother did, doesn't sound like Bryant has made any excuses or blamed his mom for anything.

-_- I grew up 30 minutes from Miami, yet I never could stand the Dolphins or their fans. It's a good thing too ... paved the way for me to become a rabid fan of a far superior NFL team.

This is truly one of the most classless things I've ever heard of from a sports team. Where the **** did he get off asking that moronic and infuriating of a question?

Edited by BCEaGleATLFaLcOn

While I Do NOT agree with the question, You have to remember how much these teams are investing. If I was investing that much in ANYTHING, I would want to know every fact. As much as I disagree, I can kinda understand. It's a job. A job in which publicity and PR is everything. Once again, I want to state for the record that I do NOT Agree with asking that.

One thing that kinda jumped out is that Dez is already talking. I'm sure other players were asked some pretty ******** questions, yet very few have came out. Kinda interesting to me... McCoy was quized about what kind of Jock strap he wore, but that was at the combine in front of a lot of reporters. Gerhart was asked about being white, but again it was during a public interview. Just kinda curious why Dez brought this to light...

Edited by joshdoster

While I Do NOT agree with the question, You have to remember how much these teams are investing. If I was investing that much in ANYTHING, I would want to know every fact. As much as I disagree, I can kinda understand. How did this story come out?

But what difference does it make if his mom is a crack whore or not?

While I Do NOT agree with the question, You have to remember how much these teams are investing. If I was investing that much in ANYTHING, I would want to know every fact. As much as I disagree, I can kinda understand. How did this story come out?

I understand wanting to know as much as you can about a prospect, but I just don't understand what knowing the answer to that accomplishes.

well you would need to explain to me how it would be relevant to them signing him or not.

if they want to know because they dont make players whose mothers were prostitutes, well thats just wrong.

well you would need to explain to me how it would be relevant to them signing him or not.

if they want to know because they dont make players whose mothers were prostitutes, well thats just wrong.

There are 2 valid sides to the argument of this question.

I for one do not think it matters if your mom is a prostitute selling drugs to support her family. In a way - that is actually kind of noble of her to care that much to do that if she cant find a real job. She is trying to support her kids any way she can (not withstanding supporting her crack habit but whatever)

The other thing is Question itself and why it actually matters. Dez Bryant is a good football player. He excelled in college, he worked on his own to become what he is now, so whatever his mom does or did shouldnt matter.

I hope Ireland gets fired for this.

Second, I'm thinking we missed the boat on Dez Bryant. If a kid can sit in an interview and not go crazy when something so dumb is asked, he obviously can keep his composure. I know I would have gotten up and walked out.

How many of you regret the falcons not drafting him now? even though I love spoon, Bryant had great value at 19

Second, I'm thinking we missed the boat on Dez Bryant. If a kid can sit in an interview and not go crazy when something so dumb is asked, he obviously can keep his composure. I know I would have gotten up and walked out.

How many of you regret the falcons not drafting him now? even though I love spoon, Bryant had great value at 19

I agree 100 percent. Since Dez didnt flip out when asked the question, WR suddenly became our #1 need. :rolleyes:

The fact that he kept his composure says a lot about his character. Which dispells all the crap about him being a potential character issue type player.

The Miami guy that interviewed him should be fired based on not handing that a guy a contract right then after his response to a question like that.

Not me, and more importanily TD, who got his man. Falcons picked a player at a posiition of greater need.

Edited by vabchbirdlover