5'11 195lbs CB Dominique Franks

atljbo

35163_Baylor_Oklahoma_Football.jpg

A tall, long corner who reads the action well in front of him and has a nose for the ball, Franks possesses an explosive first step for his size and does a great job of clicking and closing when he's able to squat on routes. He looks most comfortable when throws are in front of him and showcases impressive closing speed and ball skills when jumping routes. But he isn't technically sound in his drop and routinely gets too high in off-coverage and will open up his hips prematurely. He showcases some natural balance initially in his back-pedal, but struggles to get back out of his breaks once he opens his hips. Franks is consistently forced to regain his balance when trying to close. But he does have natural body control and the ability to stop on a dime and work back toward the ball once he gets his hands on the receiver. Franks showcases good straight-line speed and has the ability to open up his hips and track the ball vertically. He exhibits excellent ball skills in coverage and showcases the coordination to consistently adjust his body to the play and break on the pass. He likes to keep his eyes in the backfield but will get caught ball-watching and has a tendency to lose track of his man in coverage. He's blown his share of assignments during his time at Oklahoma and needs to pay more attention to detail. Franks isn't a physical tackler, is long-armed and does a nice job playing off blocks, but he doesn't generate much power on contact and is more of a drag-down guy. Overall, he's a gifted size/speed corner who can close on the ball in front of him. But he isn't a technically sound corner, struggles to keep his feet under him and needs a lot of work in order to hold up in man coverage at the next level. His playing style reminds me a lot of former Buccaneers first-round pick Aqib Talib.
04/25/2010 - COULD SURPRISE: Cornerback Dominique Franks -- He came out early and was projected by some to be a first or second round pick. But he dropped during the pre-draft process. He played "field" corner for the Sooners and defended some of the top college receivers in Michael Crabtree, Dez Bryant and Jeremy Maclin. He won't back down from a challenge but needs to work on his techniques to polish off his game.

Strengths:

Good height and bulk with long arms --- Very athletic --- Fluid hips and quick feet to transition --- Playmaker with terrific ball skills --- Excellent range with a burst to close --- Elusive with great vision --- Reliable tackler --- Confident --- Hard worker --- Can contribute as a return man.

Weaknesses:

A gambler and is too aggressive at times --- Questionable instincts and awareness --- Slow to read and react --- Just average speed --- May struggle to turn and run downfield --- Choppy backpedal --- Not real tough or physical --- Is not a great run defender --- Inconsistent hands.

Notes:

Was a two-year starter for the Sooners --- Named 2nd Team All-Big 12 in 2008 and 1st Team in 2009 --- Averaged 11.9 yards on 29 punt returns and 21.5 yards on 8 kick returns during college career --- Uncle, Charles Franks, also played defensive back at Oklahoma from 1988 to 1991 --- Cousin, C.J. Henry, played in the minor leagues for the New York Yankees and currently plays college basketball at Kansas --- A ballhawk who possesses the physical tools to be a starter at the next level but must refine the mental aspects of his game and his technique.

I agree with both of these statements.... He really does have Aqib Talib type skill set and problems (without the off the field stuff) ... Both are big gifted CB's (both has 4.4 speed), gambles to make plays, and have good ball skills.... On the other side of it... Both are are not technically sound and both have mental lapse (prone to give up the big play) ... I know Aqib Talib is a Buc but the guy is a good CB (i like him as a CB) ....

This is why i love this pick... You can teach a guy to tackle better and better technique.... You cant teach his height, weight, and speed, and ball skills...

This is why i like the Franks pick....The guy has high 2nd round / late 1st round talent.... He has all the tools to be a really good future starting CB in this league.. Franks can sit and learn while working on his technique (with coach Tim Lewis) for a couple of years..... He can also learn for Dunta Robinson.... Ive heard that the guy is a hard worker also...

I really think he will be a draft Gem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq8PTmDGwDc

This is why i love this pick... You can teach a guy to tackle better and better technique.... You cant teach his height, weight, and speed, and ball skills...

What a story if this guy ends up kicking butt. 1st or 2nd round talent... thats all we need to know because we got a nice bargain. As long as he is coachable. Now we have ONE MORE promising corner...wink.gif

Yeah I think Franks is our steal in the draft to get him where we did. You know I have always been one of his

biggest fans since he got to OU.(along with BJ) But his mental lapses and technique are really his biggest

issues. I'm also a fan of Talib. He always plays good against us too. But Franks will develop into a very good

corner.

Yeah I think Franks is our steal in the draft to get him where we did. You know I have always been one of his

biggest fans since he got to OU.(along with BJ) But his mental lapses and technique are really his biggest

issues. I'm also a fan of Talib. He always plays good against us too. But Franks will develop into a very good

corner.

Yup... I remember you wanted us to draft Franks.... I liked Franks but i didnt think he was worth a 1st round pick (because of the mental lapse) since we didnt have a 2nd round pick.... I thought it was no way he could slip to us in the 3rd.... We got the guy in the 5th round....

I still cant believe we got him in the 5th round.