Panthers trade Chris Harris to Bears for LB Jamar Willaims

Big Bubba

Not even close. I've touted Chris Harris on this board as one of if not THE best ball hawks in the NFC South. Your defense just got weaker. Jeez what is Fox and Hurney smoking these days?

Harris was on tight leash for a while now. The stink he made when we released Delhomme and Hoover was horrific on his Twitter page.

All I know is that dude had a nose for the ball and I'm glad he's out of the division.

He was a very hard hitter. He led the Panthers in missed tackles also and in terms of FF, has been average to below average the past two seasons.

He was very outspoken, you just can't rip the front office on a regular basis on Twitter as much as he did, and expect to keep your job. I mean, If we cut Beason or Davis, then by all means, he should have went on a rampage. Delhomme though? Hoover? Other average to below average aging guys that he only spoke out for because he was friends with and not because of his invested interest to the future of the team?

The Panthers FO for the past 16 months has been a train wreck and deserves every bit of ripping it gets. Selective justice if you ask me, Crybaby Smith can sucker punch guys eye sockets loose and we haven't seen him sent packing yet.

If you're going to do something stupid, it pays to be the best at your position in that franchise's young history so you know your safe?

You traded a starter for a nonstarter? Who's going to step in at SS? Where will Williams play? This doesn't look like a good trade to me, but maybe you can fill me in 08.

What Lead Farmer said. :P. Or vice versa. Martin showed flashes of brilliance last season in his limited time on the field. They had to find a way to get him out there on a regular basis. Godfrey looked average before his injury and then much better after he healed from his injury. Both are faster than Harris which helps a lot in a Meeks controlled defense.

Jamar Williams is a pretty good LB. He just wasn't getting a fair shake over in Chicago, was buried deep in their roster despite looking great every chance he got to play. We'll know soon enough exactly where Fox/Meeks will fit him in and how they'll use him.

Edited by 08NFCSChamps

Harris was drafted in the 6th round by the Bears, he performed under most of the expectations Chicago had for him. Traded him to the Panthers for a 5th round pick, he has a break out year with the Panthers. Now, after he appears to have slowed down, we trade him back to the Bears for a LB they drafted in the 4th round, that apparently didn't live up to the expectations of the Bears FO either, despite playing well when given the chance.

Why do I get the feeling that in a few years after Jamar Williams has a couple good seasons and starts to slow down, the Panthers will trade him back to the Bears for a guy they drafted in the 3rd round. I think in about 10 years, we'd have bamboozled them out of someone they drafted in the 1st round by giving them back a guy they originally drafted in the 2nd round.

Panthers are to the Bears what the Patriots are to the Panthers.

Harris could lay the wood but he was definitely weak in coverage, something sort of expected of a strong safety anyway. Zod actually sat down with him for an interview a few months back, and although he didn't mention it at the time, Harris apparently disclosed to him that he was being shopped behind the scenes and he knew he was on the way out.

It sucks to lose a veteran who has had success in our system, but honestly I'm excited about Sherrod Martin possibly getting a shot at the starting FS job. It's not like we're chucking some untested greenhorn or scrub out there; he practically looked like the NFC's version of Jairus Byrd when he got to start a few games last season. He had 3 INTs and one FF in three starts and has great instincts with a clear nose for the ball.

Part of me thinks this might have been in the cards the whole time. The coaching staff had clear starter-caliber talent on the bench in Martin, and although Harris was still a big hitter and a FF threat every time he got near a ball carrier, he was starting to whiff on some tackles. The actual return from the trade is what bothers me, though. From what I've heard from Bears fans, Jamar Williams is a very talented LB that fell victim to the surprise return of Lance Briggs (he was supposedly drafted to take Briggs' spot during his contract standoff with the Bears) and a deep LB corps. Carolina has a deep LB corps and he probably won't see the field outside of ST or injuries, so I don't really get it.

Edited by Michael K

He worked well with our old defense, but he was a weak link in the new system. Like you said, bad in coverage and a little on the slow side to boot. I did enjoy his hits though. I'm more excited about Martin starting than sad about Harris leaving.