A take on our pass rush

juiceaccts

OH SNAP. Here we go.

So, I wanted Graham or Morgan (or Griffen, but that's beside the point!) We didn't get them. I thought TD made the right choice to take Spoon at 19, and with all the revealed character problems with Griffen, I'm glad that the FO did their homework.

Okay, we get Pajamas back. The Jerryman. He showed us a bit of what he can do. A pass-rushing DT, albeit one coming off an injury, will of course help take focus off Abe and Biermann. I'd expect PJ to be spelled by Johnson and Peters and Anderson when we're on running downs to work him in slow (there has also been some concern about his ability to play the run.) That'll keep him fresh and hopefully healthy.

We got Spoon this year who TD alluded to using in our pass rush. Nicholas, our best pass rushing LB should theoretically improve and we could see additional pressure from him as well.

Then, next to PJ the most important addition to our pass rush is actually our corner, Robinson. I think he can add to our 'coverage sack' count. So can Spoon, I'd imagine.

Lastly you should take into consideration that our whole defense (minus Abe I suppose) is young and actually improving year to year. DeCoud, Grimes, Owens, Nicholas, Biermann, Lofton, Babs... all these guys are getting better (don't forget about what guys like Moore or Sid or Walker could do, too!) There's no way to get worse, really -- without injuries.

In the words of TD...

"The arrow is pointing UP."

Biermann is in his 3rd year, and he has progressed each year, I expect a breakout year for him. Also with the new MMA training program if it has the same type affect on our players as it did a Jared Allen then we could a monster pass rush. The hand speed and leverage of our players should improve from this type of training. I am excited about this season. I am going to try to make it to Mini Camp.

Edited by bighurt

Well, I still say I don't know because I REALLY don't. Its not skepticism, its a case of not knowing. Generally big guys who get hurt in the lower extremities lose their burst. Not only that but since Jery was a rookie, he still is in many ways. I said the same last year of Lewis. Babineaux is a (?) because of off field issues. Peters is a serious unknown for me. Johnson was alright, but he didn't beast it up last year. Walker was a bright spot, but wasn't a serious monster. Abraham fell off after 3 games, not sure if he'll do much this year (age), Sidbury and Anderson looked a lot like one another and Biermann did in fact get better.

This is why I say that we look basically the same as last year.

I'm uncertain. I'm cheering but uncertain.

Well, I still say I don't know because I REALLY don't. Its not skepticism, its a case of not knowing. Generally big guys who get hurt in the lower extremities lose their burst. Not only that but since Jery was a rookie, he still is in many ways. I said the same last year of Lewis. Babineaux is a (?) because of off field issues. Peters is a serious unknown for me. Johnson was alright, but he didn't beast it up last year. Walker was a bright spot, but wasn't a serious monster. Abraham fell off after 3 games, not sure if he'll do much this year (age), Sidbury and Anderson looked a lot like one another and Biermann did in fact get better.

This is why I say that we look basically the same as last year.

I'm uncertain. I'm cheering but uncertain.

Everything you said is true, definitely. I just think with all of the options/possibilities that will help us improve, there's virtually no way we do worse. If we lose Abe or Babs for the season I think it's safe to say we're screwed though as far as sack totals.

I think our pass rush will have a bounce back year but at some stage Abe will have to be replaced and we'll have to hope that Sidbury has a good year because if Abe has another down year I can see us releasing or trading him next year to free up salary to go after or draft a starting RDE next year as Abe I think is due 11 mill next season so I'm thinking Abe is playing for his financial future this season so I'm expecing big things this year.At the very least double digit sack total and if not I think we'll off load him next season.

I actually hope they use Abe on both sides this year like they did in 08 he seemed to have alot more success coming at teams in 3rd and long siuations attacking from both ends of the line.