IM tired of hearing about us not drafting EVERSON GRIFFEN..hes a chill person but....ill tell u the truth

yea i def kno why we didnt take griffen.... i live out here in calabasas,ca and everson smokes...my friend actually is the person who hooked him up with some "cali" around the time td worked him out(give or take 4days). him,mays, and some friends all stayed at this 5star hotel,im guessing tht their agents hooked them up. also i see these guys at the clubs in hollywood ALL THE TIME! they love being in all their usc gear soaking up all the attention. i kno all this bc i have friends tht play/played on the ucla basketball team (jrue holiday and so on) so i end up at the same functions as these dudes... so when u think to yourself why these usc guys slip every year u kno why. ray malaluga just got outta rehab i believe...when ur in LA and u play for usc its like playing for the NFl bc we look at them like our nfl team..most of these guys just wana go crazy out here. so u gotta think if hes willing to do all this(smoking drinking, staying out till 4am 2 days before games) what is this guy going to do with 3million in atlanta? i love usc and he has major talent but there r def some major red flags with some usc guys.

yea and tht thing about pete passing up on mays AND griffen speaks VOLUMES! pete loves usc guys i think he just picked up mike williams off the street, traded for lendale white and drafted mcCoy(who failed his drug test at the combine) but he is a good dude my friends say but. so yea now u kno. and plz lets not make this the new espn breaking news lol.

trust me if ur asking yourself why TD didnt pick up a player im sure he doesnt have just 1, but 10 reasons for doing so.

update:

i knew some wouldnt believe me so i looked and found a pic...not surprised this dude loves the attention lol...im sure i could find way more if i went on my friends fb page

post-547619-127236747538_thumb.jpg

Edited by Califalcon88

I believe it does speak volumes that Griffen fell so far and Pete never reached out a hand.......i mean come on first round talent........you would think Pete would work him into their plans if he could snatch him up as late as the 4th round. I would have to assume he is happy to be rid of him.

Let's not Act like Pete Carrol is this all mighty draft and front office expert this is the same guy that was a failure at head coaching in the NFL and made questionable decisions back then for the Jets . There could be a ton of reasons why Griffen fell and he is def a risk but sometimes the risk is worth . If Griffen turns out to be a stud Pete will have done a bad job along with the other gms including TD

ok well TD doesnt want those kinds of players here in atlanta... i understand a lot of guys smoke in the league....but consider this, how dumb do u have to be to smoke during the draft process?? its just stupid decisions. eveson is the type of dude tht would be trying to hang with some chicks instead of going to OTA's...i would rather invest my money on a person who is going to be focused on helpin my team....everson is a good dude and if u have had a 5 min conversation u would understand tht he does what he wants..end of story...dont get me wrong i would love to have him here..he would do some damage but hes not a person the FO is willing to take a chance on

Edited by Califalcon88
Also I would have took the risk to where he dropped . If it turns out he is a bad risk. So be it dump and move on we could have used a pass rusher

i honestly feel u bro he would be a big help but TD and the FO just doesnt go for all tht....im banking on the fact tht they think sidbury is better then he is and is reaady to make an impact.

If we're not gonna sign players that smoke grass we might aswell start playing 7 man football..

Young guys hang out and party?

It is inexcuseable for TD to ignore are pash rushing weaknesses..

That's the thing though, I don't think our pass rushing weakness is/was at DE. Jerry was drafted last season as a penetrating DT that could also stop the run. When he went down that left a huge void and it showed. Biermann stepped up big time almost tripling his sack total from his rookie season and Sidbury was drafted as a developmental guy with tons of ability just last season. I don't care what anyone says about Abe. The guy had 16.5 sacks in 2008. Guys like that just don't all of the sudden get old in one season and can't produce. Wouldn't shock me at all to see Abe/Sidbury team up on the right side for double digit sacks (Abe by himself will probably get that) and also to see Biermann get more PT and put in 7-9 sacks himself. Add in Peters to the DT rotation along with a healthy Perry and the addition of Weatherspoon and Nicholas' speed as well. Also, the addition of Dunta Robinson will allow for more safety blitzes as we can take the chance of putting him on an island where we couldn't really do that last season and I think we've done plenty to improve the pass rush...

I figured we didn't take him because similar to Michael Johnson and Vernon Gholston, Griffen disappears in lots of games. Does it mean he's lazy? Doesn't have a mean streak? I dunno, but if after 4 years in college, your draft report is still talking about potential, you didn't really meet expectations.

The guys who don't meet expectations in college rarely end up meeting expectations in the NFL.

That's the thing though, I don't think our pass rushing weakness is/was at DE. Jerry was drafted last season as a penetrating DT that could also stop the run. When he went down that left a huge void and it showed. Biermann stepped up big time almost tripling his sack total from his rookie season and Sidbury was drafted as a developmental guy with tons of ability just last season. I don't care what anyone says about Abe. The guy had 16.5 sacks in 2008. Guys like that just don't all of the sudden get old in one season and can't produce. Wouldn't shock me at all to see Abe/Sidbury team up on the right side for double digit sacks (Abe by himself will probably get that) and also to see Biermann get more PT and put in 7-9 sacks himself. Add in Peters to the DT rotation along with a healthy Perry and the addition of Weatherspoon and Nicholas' speed as well. Also, the addition of Dunta Robinson will allow for more safety blitzes as we can take the chance of putting him on an island where we couldn't really do that last season and I think we've done plenty to improve the pass rush...

+1 well said

I figured we didn't take him because similar to Michael Johnson and Vernon Gholston, Griffen disappears in lots of games. Does it mean he's lazy? Doesn't have a mean streak? I dunno, but if after 4 years in college, your draft report is still talking about potential, you didn't really meet expectations.

The guys who don't meet expectations in college rarely end up meeting expectations in the NFL.

And this statement rings true in more than just football circles. If an employee can't meet expectations they either get sent to the mail room or back to the sidewalks pounding out a new job somewhere else. I was never high on Griffen or Dunlap because of the scouting reports on them for this reason. In pro football though, you get a kid like this on contract, if you don't play him you lose, and, if you cut him you lose. TD doesn't come across as a big waster of money. JA98 may not be the most focussed kid on the team but they have been able to utilize him in situations where he is a benefit to the team...for now.

If we're not gonna sign players that smoke grass we might aswell start playing 7 man football..

Young guys hang out and party?

It is inexcuseable for TD to ignore are pash rushing weaknesses..

I think there is more to it then that. He is immature and like to party like a rock star.

Look at the guys we drafted. ALL OF THEM ARE SMART STUDENTS.

Thank you Cappy, voice of reason as always. I am not so sure why everyone was calling for a DE in the draft. Once the big three were gone, there was no one worth taking that was any better than what we already had. TD not trading up should tell everyone that DE is not the problem on the team in their opinion. DT apparently was. I think Sid and Kroy will have good seasons. And ABE will bounce back, I am sure of it. One can hope Jamaal does something as well!

I seriously don't think TD ignored our pass rushing issues just because he didn't draft a big name DE.

When you think about our sack production at the beginning of last season when Jerry was in the game. TD and Smiths' theory about a big body up front actually holds water.

If you have big bodies in the middle that draw double teams, HELLO outside!!

Most all last year teams were able to double and even triple our DE's, big bodies up the middle will help our pass rush.

Case in point. TD didn't ignore our pass rush just because we don't have a shiny new DE from the first 4 rounds.

Let's not Act like Pete Carrol is this all mighty draft and front office expert this is the same guy that was a failure at head coaching in the NFL and made questionable decisions back then for the Jets . There could be a ton of reasons why Griffen fell and he is def a risk but sometimes the risk is worth . If Griffen turns out to be a stud Pete will have done a bad job along with the other gms including TD

this is ********. the point is that the coach of the player didn't draft his former player. if any coach has a chance at someone who already knows his system and has the supposed potential of this DE they would draft him. unless there are reasons he and every other team should not draft him. obviously, he fell so far it is a legitimate enough reason to pass. i am happy ATL focused on the interior lines on offense and defense. they didn't reach for a DE, they didn't package multiple picks for any of the top DE's in this draft (they have plenty already on the 53-man roster), they upgraded the interior lines to improve controlling the trenches, and they scouted guys they believe in. TD and Coach Smith have turned this franchise around...be happy.

Also I would have took the risk to where he dropped . If it turns out he is a bad risk. So be it dump and move on we could have used a pass rusher

BS. if ATL drafted him in the first round and he was a bust you'd be pissed just like jamaal andereson.

agreed. the pass rush will be greatly improved with an improved DT rotation and an improved LB corp. taking a DE with #19 or trading up for the first round DE's in this draft is reaching.

I find it so funny that people wanted to pick up a 4th rounder to "fix" our pass rush.

That's why we drafted Biermann in the 5th and Sidbury in the 4th the last couple of years. If you're not willing to give them time to develop, you certainly wouldn't give Griffen the time he needed to develop.

He may well become a good player some day, but I'm 99.99% sure he wouldn't have done jack-**** this year to fix our pass rush. Those NFL LTs are no joke.

I hear ya.. But we had 28 total sacks last year which is pathetic.. If we were just a middle of the pack pass rushing team I would be more willing to believe that lack of DT play was the culprit..I'm not willing to give our DE's a pass..Perry is still unproven and wasn't there when Abe was beasting in '08.. I find it hard to believe that he would make such a big difference. Biermann is a back up...

I hear ya.. But we had 28 total sacks last year which is pathetic.. If we were just a middle of the pack pass rushing team I would be more willing to believe that lack of DT play was the culprit..I'm not willing to give our DE's a pass..Perry is still unproven and wasn't there when Abe was beasting in '08.. I find it hard to believe that he would make such a big difference. Biermann is a back up...

no DE from this draft is significantly better than the DE rotation we currently have IMO. ATL is already stockpiled with middle of the road DE's. Spoon will provide more impact to this team. what team doesn't want a 16 1/2 sack guy a year? sometimes it aint that easy to find them...

Edited by Dominique is Manufique

People who think TD did a disservice to the Falcons Defense by not going after Griffen needs to understand how teams draft. Now before I say anything, I want to say yes, I have been wrong on players before. Can Griffen become a good player for Minn? Yes. With that said, you cannot, and I mean cannot, just draft a guy because he is a big name. You have to make sure the player fits your scheme, your locker room, and contributes to the overall philosophy you have set for your team.

Griffen may go on to be a great player, but that doesn't mean he would have done anything here. TD must have felt this was not a good fit for whatever reason. Just ask Glen Dorsey, the Chiefs took him because he was the big name, and really haven't figured out how to use him. We took Jamaal without even working him out and it doesn't seem that he's a good fit either. Jamaal was a sack master in college so it looked like it was a can't miss, just like Griffen does now. I am so glad that TD doesnt draft for names, make snap decisions and actually makes a real effort to get guys that fit into the team philosophy. As a 22 year fan of this team, this is not something I'm use to.