Should the Falcons sign Big John Henderson?

BIRDLAND – The Falcons have drafted defensive tackles rather high in their last two drafts and signed one to a contract extension.

But with Jacksonville releasing two-time Pro Bowler John Henderson, there are unconfirmed reports that the Falcons are interested. He did play for head coach Mike Smith and defensive line coach Ray Hamilton in Jacksonville.

Henderson is set to visit Kansas City on Tuesday. They could offer him a more proponent role and are willing to pay more than the veteran minimum.

The Falcons drafted Peria Jerry in the first round last season and Corey Peters in the third round last Friday. Signing Henderson would provide insurance in case the young players flop.

Also, the team signed Jonathan Babineaux, who’s coming off his best season, to a contract extension during the 2008 season.

Henderson has started 120 of 128 games in eight seasons with the Jaguars. He was a first round pick out of Tennessee in 2002.

Henderson, 31, made the Pro Bowl in 2004 and 2006.

Henderson can probably find guaranteed playing time and more money elsewhere.

Should the Falcons be in hot pursuit of Big John?

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/04/26/should-the-falcons-go-after-big-john-henderson/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

;)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It goes against the direction of the team. We got our free agent pick-up for the year in D-Rob. We won't be getting any more...

ITS A UNCAPPED YEAR, We can get anyone. Literally open the wallets. Not saying they will, but their not going to be talking with him if their not thinking of signing. We have his 2 old coaches, Smitty and Ray Hamilton. Which is a another plus. I'm all for it, we need another veteran like Abe. ;)

Stole this from another post...

Because the following year might not be uncapped and then you might have all sorts of issues depending on what the new CBA says. Might have to cut players or pay a big cap fine, or both.

Plus, it is principal. Pay guys what they are worth. Some players want as much as they can get, like haynesworth. See how he worked out. Not to well. You don't have to pay a truck load of money for high quality players. You have to pay them well, but the most is not always the best.

I don't know what the front office and TD are thinking, but history repeats itself. We aren't the Jets, Cowgirls, or Redskins. I am willing to bet that this guy does NOT become a Falcon. Last time we brought in a guy from Smith's Jags, we kinda got burned. And what all of these posts are failing to realize is that the Jags are letting him go for a reason... It's easy really. Jags don't want him, because they have young guys. We have young guys. Why would we want him? We are aiming for youth. TD has said time and time again that "We build through the Draft". Why would they go against that theory? He's on the wrong side of the hill.

I think a successful veteran presence would be good but only one problem. I think the guy would want to start so where does that leave Jerry and Peters? I think he may also want to get paid 4M or so a year. That may be worth it for a couple of years but how does Jerry and Peters get worked in? The less snaps they get the longer they may be stuck in the learning curve. In two years Peria will be 28.

I think a successful veteran presence would be good but only one problem. I think the guy would want to start so where does that leave Jerry and Peters? I think he may also want to get paid 4M or so a year. That may be worth it for a couple of years but how does Jerry and Peters get worked in? The less snaps they get the longer they may be stuck in the learning curve. In two years Peria will be 28.

Another Valid and well thought out point...+1... Who do we cut to make room for this guy?

I'd say sit on the bench and watch an NFL player show you how to play the DT position.

I'm not against it. We have one DT coming off a knee injury, one facing a 4 game suspension, a rookie, and the rest aren't nearly as good as Henderson. He knows the system, sign him.

hit the nail on the head!

but besides that, Henderson would do nothing but improve our overall defense. I do not see why people would not want him.

I would hope Henderson would not be coming here to start. We already have our starters in Jerry and Babs. He would be great rotational depth. And since we rotate A LOT, this will ease the pressure off Jerry and an untested rookie. T Johnson and T Lewis weren't all that good anyway, and Vance Walker can try to steal some time with a great camp.

I would hope Henderson would not be coming here to start. We already have our starters in Jerry and Babs. He would be great rotational depth. And since we rotate A LOT, this will ease the pressure off Jerry and an untested rookie. T Johnson and T Lewis weren't all that good anyway, and Vance Walker can try to steal some time with a great camp.

That's another valid point. He would want to start, and ACJ already stated that he expects "starters" money... The falcons don't want to pay him more then Vet minimum...

BIRDLAND – The Falcons have drafted defensive tackles rather high in their last two drafts and signed one to a contract extension.

But with Jacksonville releasing two-time Pro Bowler John Henderson, there are unconfirmed reports that the Falcons are interested. He did play for head coach Mike Smith and defensive line coach Ray Hamilton in Jacksonville.

Henderson is set to visit Kansas City on Tuesday. They could offer him a more proponent role and are willing to pay more than the veteran minimum.

The Falcons drafted Peria Jerry in the first round last season and Corey Peters in the third round last Friday. Signing Henderson would provide insurance in case the young players flop.

Also, the team signed Jonathan Babineaux, who's coming off his best season, to a contract extension during the 2008 season.

Henderson has started 120 of 128 games in eight seasons with the Jaguars. He was a first round pick out of Tennessee in 2002.

http://blogs.ajc.com...ta_falcons_blog

wink.gif

He knows the coaches, coaches know the player and his strengths and weaknesses. He is a leader and the young DT's can learn from one of the best. Win / Win IMHO

It would be nice to have him but if he is still around before TC then I say then lets get him. We would be able to dictate the money we would give him because if another teams hasnt signed him at 31 I dont see where he can really argue for a lot of money.

But as of right now I say keep the DT's we already have. I dont think some people realize the strides Thomas Johnson made throughout the season. I tihnk we will keep the DT's we already have and imo Lewis will be the DT that gets cut.

I have no problem with going into the season with:

Babs

Jerry

Johnson

Peters

Walker

as our DT's

Also, the team signed Jonathan Babineaux, who’s coming off his best season, to a contract extension during the 2008 season.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/04/26/should-the-falcons-go-after-big-john-henderson/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

;)

Does a "Bear" **** in the "Woods"?

bear-woodsjpg-ee4252752e478b73_large.jpg