FalconLord's Post-Draft Review

Best Draft Picks

1. Mike Johnson, Guard -- Clearly our rushing attack was terribly inconsistent last season and the front office was looking to fix it. Johnson is a mauling, road-grater who can clear space for Turner. Im not sure that he will be a high skill pass protector, but playing guard should help hide him. In my opinion, he will start in place of Blalock very soon in 2010. Great draft pick!

2. Sean Weatherspoon, WLB -- The second best pick goes to a very safe draft pick. Spoon has zero bust potential and will become an immediate starter. He likely wont make any probowls (seeing as how all pro-bowl OLBs come from blitzing 3-4 schemes), but he will accumulate a ton of tackles i.e. Curtis Lofton. I expect him to make a few more impact plays than Lofton, but by and large he will be a solid chase and tackle OLB.

3. Kerry Meier WR -- I am completely confident that he will be in our WR rotation for years to come. He runs excellent routes and catches the ball with his hands every time. He is a physical player who is hard to cover due to his size. I know its been said many times, but he is a lot like Brian Finneran. Again, another safe pick.

4. Dominique Franks, CB -- Underrated ball skills and should make the team as the 6th CB. Has enough size and versatility to shift around in the secondary, so I wouldnt be surprised if he was cross trained at safety. Runs a sub 4.5 40, and has returned kicks in HS and all through college. Seems like a guy who will integrate well and learn quickly with Curtis Lofton helping him out. Im not one to call him a "steal" like we got a pro bowler in the 5th round, but I really think he will be an excellent contributor.

Team Strengths

Corner -- One stud and five contributors (Owens, Grimes, Jackson, Williams, Franks)

Offensive Line -- We have our five starters returning plus we have three young players with various potential. Garrett Reynolds and Joe Hawley are developmental guys while Mike Johnson is an immediate contributor.

Runningback

Tight End -- Gonzo, Peelle, Peek and Palmer are great pass catching threats

Quarterback

Wide Receiver -- White, Jenkins, Douglass and Meier

Team Weaknesses

Safety -- We are really going to be tested at safety this season. Coleman isnt a good cover safety and DeCoud is still young. We dont have a deep cover safety and teams are going to try to exploit that. Cant put any stock in William Moore and Shann Schillinger probably isnt quality depth.

Defensive End -- Not enough quality depth. One injury could really hurt our already weak pass rush. Really only two proven starters in Abraham and Biermann. Sidbury is pure potential. Davis and Anderson are wasted roster spots.

Linebacker -- Not enough quality depth. Peterson had a terrible second half to the season, and Nicholas is serviceable at best. We really only have two good players at LB and one of them is a rookie. That isnt reassuring.

I expect a slightly improved defense, and a schematically improved offense for the 2010 campaign. I would prognosticate a 10 win season and an early exit from the post season. We wont be a true post-season competitor until we really find an impact pass rusher and a playmaker at safety. Since we couldnt fill either need in the draft, I am glad we filled some other holes that will keep us moving in the right direction.

nicely written. i think weatherspoon will make a bigger impact than lofton did in his rookie year.

the problem i still see with lofton is he doesnt have fluid hips. weatherspoon does well in space, hes an underated north and south guy maybe almost the same with lofton. but for sure he has superior side line to side line coverage which we really need.

if lofton does not improve in sub packages like the nickel. i look to see weatherspoon move into the mlb when it comes to our nb.

folks, it doesnt get any better than this...we have 2 vocal leaders playing the LB roles. both will play at high levels and compete against each other. expect brutal tackles from lofton/weatherspoon. these guys are out to hurt people...

the mike johnson pick really makes me think that "competition" is needed for blalock. i seriously see johnson fighting for the LG position. only MC/TC and time will tell who wins this out. but we know that the running game will be established this year...

kevin meier imo was not only a safe pick, but a serious pick. if we have any injury to our core wr (#1,#2). we are in serious trouble. nice move imp from td.

the dominique franks kinda surprised me. hmm. let me think, parrish cox or franks? then i remembered that cox had been arrested for something.

nicely written. i think weatherspoon will make a bigger impact than lofton did in his rookie year.

the problem i still see with lofton is he doesnt have fluid hips. weatherspoon does well in space, hes an underated north and south guy maybe almost the same with lofton. but for sure he has superior side line to side line coverage which we really need.

if lofton does not improve in sub packages like the nickel. i look to see weatherspoon move into the mlb when it comes to our nb.

folks, it doesnt get any better than this...we have 2 vocal leaders playing the LB roles. both will play at high levels and compete against each other. expect brutal tackles from lofton/weatherspoon. these guys are out to hurt people...

the mike johnson pick really makes me think that "competition" is needed for blalock. i seriously see johnson fighting for the LG position. only MC/TC and time will tell who wins this out. but we know that the running game will be established this year...

kevin meier imo was not only a safe pick, but a serious pick. if we have any injury to our core wr (#1,#2). we are in serious trouble. nice move imp from td.

the dominique franks kinda surprised me. hmm. let me think, parrish cox or franks? then i remembered that cox had been arrested for something.

Mike Johnson might just play the RG position. Blaylock wasn't that bad. Who knows. Kevin is cool. But he's not someone that's going to open up the field. He's a third WR at best. We needed a true number two.. He's not that. Unlike White he will almost always be single covered. Everyone seems to think that Douglass will come back and be better than ever. It takes two years to come back at a higher level with the injury he had. I just hope he can stay healthy this year. (Remember Trey Lewis) I think Cox is a better player than Franks. Franks isn't bad but probably not a true number two CB. Cox is.

I think you could add Defensive Tackle to one of the strengths if Peria can get healthy, Jerry and Babs with Peters, Walker, Lewis rotating seems nice

Cant do it.

Babs is good.

Jerry is unknown.

Peters is unknown.

Walker has very little experience.

Lewis was terrible most of last season.

Thomas Johnson is a solid backup.