G-Dawg's post draft thoughts

Some of these questions have been answered. TD openly said he just didn't want Griffen in our locker room. Apparently many other FO's had the same opinion & he had worse issues than we knew.

Just think about the fact that Seattle needed DE help and Pete Carroll, who coached the guy and knew him better than anyone else, DIDN'T SELECT GRIFFEN!! That should speak volumes to anyone wondering why TD didn't draft Griffen. I'm amazed at the number of intelligent people on these boards who question what the scouting staff of this team does. These guys apend countless hours analyzing, inspecting, dissecting, and investigating every possible thing you can imagine about these players. When they pick or don't pick a player it's for a darn good reason! It's not happenstance. They know what kind of person/player is successful in the NFL and they find them and draft them.

Just think about the fact that Seattle needed DE help and Pete Carroll, who coached the guy and knew him better than anyone else, DIDN'T SELECT GRIFFEN!! That should speak volumes to anyone wondering why TD didn't draft Griffen. I'm amazed at the number of intelligent people on these boards who question what the scouting staff of this team does. These guys apend countless hours analyzing, inspecting, dissecting, and investigating every possible thing you can imagine about these players. When they pick or don't pick a player it's for a darn good reason! It's not happenstance. They know what kind of person/player is successful in the NFL and they find them and draft them.

mike,

Peter King made this very point in his article today and I did not even think about it. Seahawks needed D-End help and did not take this guy - that says a lot.....good point.

Dimitroff was on 680 this AM and he specifically addressed Griffen by saying that while he was one of the more talented pass rushers in the draft, you have to ask if he's a fit for your team on the field and in the locker room. I suspect that in their evaluations, they came to the conclusion that he was not a good fit no matter how much value he might have presented on draft day.

One thing I've had to do when I evaluate and even project is understand that my viewpoints on players might not be shared by the front office. I think Jenkins needs to be replaced - pure and simple. Dimitroff does not and if that is the case...then at this point in time, he's got his starters. When he looks for WR talent, he's going to look situationally. He has a smaller/quicker WR in the slot in Douglas. What he felt he needed was a younger/bigger possession type who could be a Finneran type presence. Would I have liked for a higher priority to have been placed on this position? Sure...but I can understand why it wasn't if certain beliefs I have aren't held by those in charge.

Peter King in his MMQB already confirmed that Holmgren at #85 (two spots after the Falcons) would have snapped up Peters.

My POV on evaluating drafts has changed over the years to simply wanting to understand why moves are made. If I can figure it out, then I have no qualms with the player selected. I simply can't as a fan presume to have more knowledge about scouting players than the pros do. And while we all thought for instance that a Matt Tennant was a perfect fit at C in large part because of his BC connection with Ryan, Round 3-4 was where I though we should grab this position and we did.

At the end of the day, I can go through each of the picks and say "I get it".

Good points DirtyWord......I totally "get" why we did not take Griffen now. Sure its the same reason we did not take Greg Hardy......

I just wish we could somehow have addressed D-End but abscent of the character risks Griffen/Hardy - there was not much passrush talent after 1st round.

Hope Abe/Sid/Beer all step up this year.

I bet dollars to donuts that Meier has a better career than any of those other receivers. And I bet Hawley ends up being a gem aswell. Just watch.

think your way off base if you think Meier will be anything more then special teams help ..He will probably not even see the field in 4 wr sets ..Roddy , Jenkins, HD , Tony G ...We could even slide Weems into slot as well probably before Meier.

yea i def kno why we didnt take griffen.... i live out here in calabasas,ca and everson smokes...my friend actually is the person who hooked him up with some "cali" around the time td worked him out(give or take 4days). him,mays, and some friends all stayed at this 5star hotel,im guessing tht their agents hooked them up. also i see these guys at the clubs in hollywood ALL THE TIME! they love being in all their usc gear soaking up all the attention. i kno all this bc i have friends tht play/played on the ucla basketball team (jrue holliday and so on) so i end up at the same functions as these dudes... so when u think to yourself why these usc guys slip every year u kno why. ray malaluga just got outta rehab i believe...when ur in LA and u play for usc its like playing for the NFl bc we look at them like our nfl team..most of these guys just wana go crazy out here. so u gotta think if hes willing to do all this(smoking drinking, staying out till 4am 2 days before games) what is this guy going to do with 3million in atlanta? i love usc and he has major talent but there r def some major red flags with some usc guys.

yea and tht thing about pete passing up on mays AND griffen speak VOLUMES! pete loves usc guys i think he just picked up mike williams off the street, traded for lendale white and drafted mcCoy(who failed his drug test at the combine) but he is a good dude my friends say but. so yea now u kno. and plz lets not make this the new espn breaking news lol.

trust me if ur asking yourself why TD didnt pick up a player im sure he doesnt have just 1, but 10 reasons for doing so.

Edited by Califalcon88

I am totally with you G-Dawg---I have been a bit down since Saturday not because TD didn't draft the way I thought he should, instead I thought he made questionable picks. Ok, so he knows so much more than me. Maybe there was a plan and his press conference seems to have addressed this, or did he have a bad draft???

It has become more than a couple of iffy picks for me. I have total faith in the Falcon FO and this is the first time I have stood on my heels and said, "your not always right and might have made a couple of mistakes TD" Honestly, I thought Dimitroff was the boy genius & I still do but we know humans are not perfect.

sigh----thoughts?

I am totally with you G-Dawg---I have been a bit down since Saturday not because TD didn't draft the way I thought he should, instead I thought he made questionable picks. Ok, so he knows so much more than me. Maybe there was a plan and his press conference seems to have addressed this, or did he have a bad draft???

It has become more than a couple of iffy picks for me. I have total faith in the Falcon FO and this is the first time I have stood on my heels and said, "your not always right and might have made a couple of mistakes TD" Honestly, I thought Dimitroff was the boy genius & I still do but we know humans are not perfect.

sigh----thoughts?

Nono I'm with you man I have never questioned TD up until this draft. There are a ton of questionable picks plus if he really wanted to could have moved on and took Spoon or even took Dez and try and trade him to Dallas for a extra third. This draft won't turn out a bust but won't be anything special

sigh----thoughts?

Nono I'm with you man I have never questioned TD up until this draft. There are a ton of questionable picks plus if he really wanted to could have moved on and took Spoon or even took Dez and try and trade him to Dallas for a extra third. This draft won't turn out a bust but won't be anything special

Yes, I watched the first two days in their entirety and just got updates on Saturday.....

I'm a little disappointed but don' t really want to be negative on the website I do believe in Thomas Dimitroff so I think this draft will turn out OK - I just wonder if it could have been better.

I would like someone to ask Dimitroff why Everson Griffen, DE-USC was not a consideration in the 3rd round - we had two chances to get him and passed on him both times. I understand the kid may have some maturity issues and inconsistency in his play - but unless there is a major character problem and/or drug use - I don't understand - Obviously there must have been something because 32 teams passed on him 3 times before the Vikings took him in 4th round.

Also was frustrated that Falcons did not draft Riley Cooper or some other WRs I thought would have had better chances to develop into starters over Kerry Meier. Meier sounds like a guy you want to have on your team but just think we could have taken a guy with enough upside to start.

I think Corey Peters might would have lasted until 4th round but Dimitroff says "no"......

Overall, I would give the draft a "B-" but I understand my limitations on knowledge versus Dimitroff/Smith and their scouts - there is no way we can know 10% of what they know...

Loved Sean Weatherspoon, Mike Johnson and Dominque Franks picks. I like Corey Peters but think he was overdrafted......If I pulled the strings, draft probably would have looked like this based on who was available:

G-Dawg's Post-Draft Draft (G-Dawg < Dimitroff rolleyes.gif )

#1-019) Sean Weatherspoon, WLB-Missouri (good pick with Graham/Morgan off the board)

#3-083) Everson Griffen, DE-USC (instead of Corey Peters-even Greg Hardy was available in 6th)

#3-098) Mike Johnson, OG-Alabama (good pick by Dimitroff - was not on my radar though)

#4-117) Corey Peters, DT-Kentucky (if he was gone Geno Atkins was available)

#5-135) Perish Cox, CB-Oklahoma State (instead of Dominque Franks think Cox is just a better player)

#5-165) Joe Hawley, OC/OG-UNLV ( think he would have lasted this long, if not Ted Larsen,OC-NC State - Belicheck/Pats took him so Dimitroff probably liked him)

#6-171) Carlton Mitchell, WR-South Florida (more developmental than Meier but much, much higher upside - compares to Brandon Marshall)

Granted, I have "hindsight" of knowing where all the players went that Dimitroff did not have. While there must be some type of issue with Griffen I think he will mature as a man and hopefully as a football player as he gets pro coaching and works on his craft. He has great upside and skill and would have been worth the gamble.

I think Perrish Cox is more complete corner than Dominque Franks and I think we needed a WR with more upside that has the speed/size to eventually be a successor to Michael Jenkins who just is not really good enough to be a starter for a playoff team.

I feel like my above draft still captures the "spirit" of what Dimitroff was trying to do with this draft but also allowing for players (Griffen/Cox) with more upside than Meier, Shillinger, and Franks....

Anyway those are my thoughts

#4-117) Corey Peters, DT-Kentucky (if he was gone Geno Atkins was available)

I think geno is a good DT but might be too stiff for our scheme. Watch Peters, he led the SEC for a reason.cool.gif