Terry Pendelton

ugadawg

20 members have voted

1. 1. DO you like him or not

ok my 1st topic Kelly Johnson had potential but was to hot and cold

4 yrs with Atlanta is a 264 avg and avg 11 HRs year. 20 games in he is at 322 and 7HR. Over half his year end HR's already reached in 20 games.

Chipper and Mac our 2 best hitters go to their dads if they have a slump.

Frenchy love him or hate him he went down hill and then looked outside the team for hitting help and he has improved since with the Mets.

Nate we can all see has been worse here with our lineup then in Pit with no support????

who can give anything or anyone that he has helped. Or who can add to my opinion that he has helped no one but has hurt

I just popped over here after comparing Terry Pendleton to Mike Woodson. I'm glad to see this thread.

I'll only focus on one example to justify my dislike of TP being our hitting coach: Frenchy.

Jeff Francoeur. He came up as a rookie and "tore it up." He was hitting homers and plenty of EBHs. Just like anyone else in the league, teams started figuring him out. Don't throw him a fastball down the middle on the first pitch; give him something low and outside followed by high heat.

He slumped. Now I understand a slump, but what alarms me is he sought outside assistance: Rudy Jaramillo (hitting instructor of the Texas Rangers). Two weeks with this guy, and he is one of the best in the game if no the best, and Frenchy is tearing it up in ST and the first two weeks of the 2009 season.

Then the slump returns. Why? It is my humble opinion because Frenchy begins chasing again and returned to free-swinger form. TP can't correct this and we trade him for Ryan Church.

Now I am not placing all the blame on TP. I also recognize that I am not in the clubhouse or down on the field with the team. However, Frenchy is improving again with a new squad.

It seems to me that TP must accept some of the responsibility.

Like I said, this is just one example.

I think he is clearly the problem. I hate to say it because I try to support our players and the staff, but there is no reason to act like this is not obvious. Players leave and their numbers get better, players come in and their numbers drop.

In any other ocupation if the results in your department were this terrible you would be gone immediately and TP has to go before this season is totally sunk. Bring in McCann's Dad as the new hitting coach. Just someone please...TP is failing.

Someone has to be scapegoated and he's as good a target as anyone I suppose.

But in the end, the players who are just not doing their job must bear some responsibility. I find it tough to believe that Pendleton is solely responsible for Glaus, McLouth, and Cabrera's struggles. And if he is, then it's only fair to credit him with Prado's success, right?

We will see how Kelly Johnson ends up at the end of the season. As for Francoeur, he looks like the same undisciplined streak hitter that he was in Atlanta.

Someone has to be scapegoated and he's as good a target as anyone I suppose.

But in the end, the players who are just not doing their job must bear some responsibility. I find it tough to believe that Pendleton is solely responsible for Glaus, McLouth, and Cabrera's struggles. And if he is, then it's only fair to credit him with Prado's success, right?

We will see how Kelly Johnson ends up at the end of the season. As for Francoeur, he looks like the same undisciplined streak hitter that he was in Atlanta.

So are you saying that 1 hitter doing good makes up for 3 struggling ones?

So are you saying that 1 hitter doing good makes up for 3 struggling ones?

No, but if he's responsible for the struggles of 3 veteran players who have been in the organization for less than a season, then he has to be given credit for the ones hitting well who have come up through the organization. It's only logical.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be held responsible. The hitting coach is always the first to be blamed when the team struggles offensively. It comes with the job. No matter the sport, it seems that fans like to think that all it takes it the right coach to work his magic and make things all better. But that is often wishful thinking and they don't want to face the harsh reality that more times than not, their players just aren't good enough. I think that Glaus is finished as an effective hitter, while Cabrera and McLouth will continue to be average no matter who is the hitting coach.

No, but if he's responsible for the struggles of 3 veteran players who have been in the organization for less than a season, then he has to be given credit for the ones hitting well who have come up through the organization. It's only logical.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be held responsible. The hitting coach is always the first to be blamed when the team struggles offensively. It comes with the job. No matter the sport, it seems that fans like to think that all it takes it the right coach to work his magic and make things all better. But that is often wishful thinking and they don't want to face the harsh reality that more times than not, their players just aren't good enough. I think that Glaus is finished as an effective hitter, while Cabrera and McLouth will continue to be average no matter who is the hitting coach.

You have to consider that the way he is teaching guys in not effective. Maybe it has worked for Prado, but that does not mean what works for Prado is going to work for Glaus and others. That is how you become a good coach or teacher...you adjust and teach guys to play to their strengths. 1 out of 4 is a terrible ratio.

You have to consider that the way he is teaching guys in not effective. Maybe it has worked for Prado, but that does not mean what works for Prado is going to work for Glaus and others. That is how you become a good coach or teacher...you adjust and teach guys to play to their strengths. 1 out of 4 is a terrible ratio.

Glaus has been hitting in the majors since 1998. I find it hard to believe that Pendleton has so throughly ruined him in just the 2.5 months since spring training started. The same for McLouth and Cabrera, and let's face it, neither have ever been considered more than average major league players.

I don't know enough about Pendleton's teaching methods to comment on it, but I'm finding it very hard to believe that he's capable of ruining a 12-year vet so quickly.

Glaus has been hitting in the majors since 1998. I find it hard to believe that Pendleton has so throughly ruined him in just the 2.5 months since spring training started. The same for McLouth and Cabrera, and let's face it, neither have ever been considered more than average major league players.

I don't know enough about Pendleton's teaching methods to comment on it, but I'm finding it very hard to believe that he's capable of ruining a 12-year vet so quickly.

McClouth has been an All-Star and while I don't entirely blame TP for their struggles it is clear he is not helping. That is his job...to help. I don't expect him to make our line-up .400 hitters, but atleast get all the position players over .200 or you don't deserve a job. If it is on the players totally then we shouldn't be paying a guy with a title of batting coach...what is the point of having one if the onus is on the players.

Edited by R.C. Collins

ok Gritz I will give you Prado and Yunel as TP victories. They both have a closed oppo field approach. No matter who the hitting coach was or is someone on the team would not be able to hit his way. Hitting is very finicky. Hitters are always having to watch tape and make adjustments. Most adjustments are to move something back to where it was because you slowly let them move to another spot and it has caused a glitch. TP may not be good at finding what has moved which is his main job. Those that say it is the hitters job to hit and they should be able to since they are in the bigs are 100% correct. TP's only job should be to always know as soon as something changes and make the move back to the original spot. If a hitter is exposed with a hole some slight adjustments should be made and they must fall into the batters original fundamental and coexist.

This is why Mac and Chipper goes back to their dads. It is not they know more about hitting. It has to do with they know their sons swing better and can see the mispositioned and correct it so they can hit as they once did. Little things make huge differences. What ever flaw is practice will be magnified 10x in the box. That is what TP has to do a better job of or he will continue to fail his hitters which will continue to fail us and the team

whatever happened to Clarence Jones ? He was a petty good hitting coach during our division title winning days . I remember how he coached guys like Gant , Chipper , Justice , Klesco , Andrew Jones , Crime Dog McGriff , H. Lopez and others during his time with the Braves . We sure could use his wisdom now . Maybe one of greatest home run hitters of all time ( Hammerin Hank Aaron ) could help if asked . We got to do something to get these guys to start hitting !! :(