MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH THIS YEARS DRAFT..

MagnusXXIII

The Hawley pick in the 4th.

I am fine if the FO thought Hawley was a better prospect than Tennant ... I know we did our due diligence and that we like to hand pick personalities for the line.

But here is my issue...

Take Dominique Franks in the fourth and Hawley in the fifth and we keep our extra 6th.

He was going to be there (the fifth would have still been a reach).

I know it only cost us an extra 6th but that is all we got for Houston and we would have thought Franks would be gone...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fine if the FO thought Hawley was a better prospect than Tennant ... I know we did our due diligence and that we like to hand pick personalities for the line.

But here is my issue...

Take Dominique Franks in the fourth and Hawley in the fifth and we keep our extra 6th.

I know it only cost us an extra 6th but that is all we got for Houston and we would have thought Franks would be gone...

Clearly you're wasting your life instead of taking advantage of your psychic powers.

I trust our FO more than I believe your uninformed assumption, sorry. If Hawley wasn't in danger of being plucked before one of our later picks, they would have waited. The guy is extremely underrated, as are nearly all our picks. Watch his film. He can play 4 positions(LG, OC, RG, & long snapper) & he'll be the quickest & strongest lineman on the team while still having excellent size.

You armchair GM's are all ignorant whiners.

But here is my issue...

Everyone's boards are different. You can't say you know for sure when a player will go. You would think you could get Corey Peters later on, but apparently Browns were ready to pick him up a few picks after us.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Clearly you're wasting your life instead of taking advantage of your psychic powers.

I trust our FO more than I believe your uninformed assumption, sorry. If Hawley wasn't in danger of being plucked before one of our later picks, they would have waited. The guy is extremely underrated, as are nearly all our picks. Watch his film. He can play 4 positions(LG, OC, RG, & long snapper) & he'll be the quickest & strongest lineman on the team while still having excellent size.

See I knew after the Draft we would starting agree on somethings LOL

Everyone's boards are different. You can't say you know for sure when a player will go. You would think you could get Corey Peters later on, but apparently Browns were ready to pick him up a few picks after us.

Hindsight is 20/20.

I agree the Peters situation is an exact reason why if the guy is there go ahead and take him. I dont think that FRanks was initially high on our Board, but I do feel like because he fell TD saw value and potential and made the move to get him, the same thing with Sidbury last year, except we didnt need to trade up.

But here is my issue...

You make no sense.

1. Why take Franks in the 4th when in reality he lasted into the 5th ?

2. Why wait until 20th pick in the 5th for Hawley when it is impossible to know if he would last until then ?

Tennant fell b/c he had elbow surgery and had not been able to work out. NFL Network reported his weight has dropped down to 280 lbs. Hawley is a "mauler" who is known for blocking through the whistle and finishing blocks. TD's saw his mean streak and liked it. Who are any of us to say that other GMs did not like him too ? Especially considering Tennant's surgery.

Only time will tell if TD reached or not on Hawley. Tennant is a Saint.......so we will be able to see both on the field for the next several years.

I knew this was coming.

I like the pick ... but doubt he was at risk ...

You make no sense.

1. Why take Franks in the 4th when in reality he lasted into the 5th ?

2. Why wait until 20th pick in the 5th for Hawley when it is impossible to know if he would last until then ?

Tennant fell b/c he had elbow surgery and had not been able to work out. NFL Network reported his weight has dropped down to 280 lbs. Hawley is a "mauler" who is known for blocking through the whistle and finishing blocks. TD's saw his mean streak and liked it. Who are any of us to say that other GMs did not like him too ? Especially considering Tennant's surgery.

Only time will tell if TD reached or not on Hawley. Tennant is a Saint.......so we will be able to see both on the field for the next several years.

Not saying I preferred Tennant ... obviously the FO liked Hawley better.

TD said himself he was suprised to see Franks there in the 5th. TD probably had a 2-3 grade on him ... but CB was not as big a priority if Mike Johnson does not project to C.

TD needed to check the box ... but did so early in my opinion.

Just keep wandering around like a zombie chanting "In TD we truuuust...In TD we truuuust".

The rest of us will debate and discuss Football.

The name-calling and condescending tones around here are getting out of hand.

Thanks ... was suprised at the viciousness ... I guess we had a "perfect" draft :rolleyes:

So you are suggesting a 6th round pick is valueless?

No, I'm suggesting the 6th round pick DID provide value to us in that it helped us to secure the player (Franks) we wanted in a previous round who was more highly rated on the Falcons board.

You are assuming Hawley would have been available in Round 5. I don't know on what basis you can do that.

+1 sir.

i love the pick. the falcons clearly targeted most if not every selection they made, and because of this they picked guys a little early only according to pre-draft reports, but also to MAKE SURE they landed their guys.

i would also like to point out that unlike the previous two years where TD had a tendency to get good value by picking players with slight injury history...this year it seems his focus of obtaining similar value was by targeting UNDERRATED players.

Hawley might have been available with our pick in the 5th, but if he is who we wanted why wait till then? as for the Tennant lovers - why him? because he is accustomed to Ryan's hand in his cooch? because he has good intangibles? those are valid, but otherwise Tennant does not fit what this OL is evolving into.

Our FO played the draft game at an elite level & clearly had some inside info or just did their homework so well they knew what other teams boards looked like. There's no other way to explain knowing to nab Peters 2 picks before Cleveland & moving up to the exact spot possible to get Franks before 7 CB's in 9 picks ran.

All our picks have a similar theme... Graduated college, are football & real world smart, can play multiple positions/very versitile, appear very underrated after watching their film, & have zero potential for off field issues.

To think our FO didn't do their homework & have this draft 100% calculated & the picks done in a wrong order is foolish & ignorant as ****. And I'm not being viscious, I'm just tired of reading some of you clowns who claim to be psychic & think you know better than professionals who do this for a living. The Falcons are my team, & you disgrace them, us, & the faith in the orgaization when you second-guess & armchair ignorance from your sofa.

Yo Beef! Ignorant whiner here.

In a needs based system specific draft would we be better

or worse off if we had picked 1-Baluga 3a-Corey Peters 3-Eric Norwood

4-Parrish Cox 5-Greg Hardy 6-Anthony Dixon 7-Myron Rolle ?

We don't know and probably never will but it is all message board

discussion not "ignorant whining".

Yo Beef! Ignorant whiner here.

In a needs based system specific draft would we be better

or worse off if we had picked 1-Baluga 3a-Corey Peters 3-Eric Norwood

4-Parrish Cox 5-Greg Hardy 6-Anthony Dixon 7-Myron Rolle ?

We don't know and probably never will but it is all message board

discussion not "ignorant whining".

That's the problem. What do we as simple fans know about these players? We know what the draft "experts" know, and they don't even know what they are talking about.

We pick out names because we hear them a lot of draft websites and on TV. We hear a name we aren't familiar with, people immediately scream out "reach" or "who" and knock the pick. In reality, no one on this messageboard is more qualified or knows more about these players than Thomas Dimitroff and his scouting department. So how can we sit here and call a pick stupid, a reach, or "wrong" when we don't have near the amount of information to make these decisions and conclusions.

It's like going into a hospital after watching a few episodes of House or ER and telling a doctor how to do his job. It's just stupid. That's why there is such a condescending tone. Because these people who are absolutely ignorant about the draft compared to these GMs have the gall to sit here and tell them they were right or wrong about something they have decades of experience personally training for and taking part it.

Reading a scouting report on Walterfootball or memorizing Mel Kiper's top 100 doesn't make you an expert. If they were so good at talent evaluation they would be the GMs and scouts, not journalists and beat writers.

That's the problem. What do we as simple fans know about these players? We know what the draft "experts" know, and they don't even know what they are talking about.

We pick out names because we hear them a lot of draft websites and on TV. We hear a name we aren't familiar with, people immediately scream out "reach" or "who" and knock the pick. In reality, no one on this messageboard is more qualified or knows more about these players than Thomas Dimitroff and his scouting department. So how can we sit here and call a pick stupid, a reach, or "wrong" when we don't have near the amount of information to make these decisions and conclusions.

It's like going into a hospital after watching a few episodes of House or ER and telling a doctor how to do his job. It's just stupid. That's why there is such a condescending tone. Because these people who are absolutely ignorant about the draft compared to these GMs have the gall to sit here and tell them they were right or wrong about something they have decades of experience personally training for and taking part it.

Reading a scouting report on Walterfootball or memorizing Mel Kiper's top 100 doesn't make you an expert. If they were so good at talent evaluation they would be the GMs and scouts, not journalists and beat writers.

Well sometimes the obvious choice is the correct choice.

You don't have to overwork and out think everything. I like

the little list I put together based on my smoke and mirrors

methodology better than our draft. Is it better? We get to

watch and it costs us nothing!

Well sometimes the obvious choice is the correct choice.

You don't have to overwork and out think everything. I like

the little list I put together based on my smoke and mirrors

methodology better than our draft. Is it better? We get to

watch and it costs us nothing!

And you realize that you "draft" is based on hindsight, is based on your extremely limited knowledge of anything NFL related, and is mostly based off of "expert" scouting reports and mock drafts at best?

It seems extremely arrogant to think someone's mock draft after the fact is better than TDs.

And you realize that you "draft" is based on hindsight, is based on your extremely limited knowledge of anything NFL related, and is mostly based off of "expert" scouting reports and mock drafts at best?

It seems extremely arrogant to think someone's mock draft after the fact is better than TDs.

I think you will find that all those people were on the board when

we made our pick. That is second guessing but not hindsight in it's

truest sense. I am not hostile about the draft just very curious about

why they picked who they picked. My job is to watch and see, but wondering

is allowed.

But here is my issue...

And that's why you're not a GM. I think Hawley can C, G, and T. Now a lot of so called experts say we should have waited. But I bet you if we had waited he woud have been gone. The FO runs hundreds of scenarios before the draft begins, so that they can anticipate what might happen and what might. Have you seen the various Falcon scenarios that they have run. If not, then you can't say for sure he would have been there. You can only as*-u-me and you know what assume does.

Edited by Chitown2ATL_Falcon