Corey Peters would have been CLE's pick at #85..

Peter King MMQB

I love these draft scenarios, in case you hadn't noticed. Here's another one: In Cleveland, midway through the third round, the Browns already had addressed cornerback, safety and running back; now they had two more priority positions to fill: defensive tackle and offensive tackle. They had picks 85 and 92. They had their two guys lined up from about the 70th pick on -- Kentucky defensive tackle Corey Peters and Arizona State tackle Shawn Lauvao. In the draft room, president Mike Holmgren, GM Tom Heckert and coach Eric Mangini, along with a few of the scouts, monitored the draft. Colt McCoy kept sliding.

"I had talked to Jon Gruden about Colt and he really liked him,'' Holmgren told me. "But Tom said we've got our plan, we like this defensive lineman and the offensive lineman, and we should go ahead and pick them. I kept saying, 'What about the quarterback?' ''

At number 83, two spots before the Browns were going to pick, Atlanta GM Dimitroff picked Peters, the defensive tackle the Browns had in their sights at 85. "Then,'' Holmgren said, laughing, "the fates were telling me something. We had to pick him. I said to Tom, 'Let's pull the trigger.' I tried to run this draft the way Ron Wolf used to in Green Bay. Everyone contributed. But I kind of pulled rank a little bit. I said, 'Let's do this.'''

At the podium in Manhattan, Texas coach Mack Brown announced: "With the 85th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select Colt McCoy, quarterback, Texas.''

Peter King MMQB

I love these draft scenarios, in case you hadn't noticed. Here's another one: In Cleveland, midway through the third round, the Browns already had addressed cornerback, safety and running back; now they had two more priority positions to fill: defensive tackle and offensive tackle. They had picks 85 and 92. They had their two guys lined up from about the 70th pick on -- Kentucky defensive tackle Corey Peters and Arizona State tackle Shawn Lauvao. In the draft room, president Mike Holmgren, GM Tom Heckert and coach Eric Mangini, along with a few of the scouts, monitored the draft. Colt McCoy kept sliding.

"I had talked to Jon Gruden about Colt and he really liked him,'' Holmgren told me. "But Tom said we've got our plan, we like this defensive lineman and the offensive lineman, and we should go ahead and pick them. I kept saying, 'What about the quarterback?' ''

At number 83, two spots before the Browns were going to pick, Atlanta GM Dimitroff picked Peters, the defensive tackle the Browns had in their sights at 85. "Then,'' Holmgren said, laughing, "the fates were telling me something. We had to pick him. I said to Tom, 'Let's pull the trigger.' I tried to run this draft the way Ron Wolf used to in Green Bay. Everyone contributed. But I kind of pulled rank a little bit. I said, 'Let's do this.'''

At the podium in Manhattan, Texas coach Mack Brown announced: "With the 85th pick in the 2010 NFL draft, the Cleveland Browns select Colt McCoy, quarterback, Texas.''

I was just getting ready to post this. Guess Cleveland was going to "reach" too. In TD I TRUST!!

Thanks for posting. I really wonder who our sources are because TD must have known that Peters was going to get picked in the 3rd. He also knew that he had to move up to get Franks because there was about to be a run on CB's. In an interview TD mentioned he was getting text messages and phone calls from his sources inside other organizations about what teams were going to do. Anybody have any insight on how that works?

Many of the "experts" watch one YouTube video, look at paper stats, read someone elses report which was probably written half-cooked & with bias, & they dismiss players if they're not a media darling or go to a successful school.

Our FO met with each of these picks multiple times, worked them out personally, got them to scheme on the chalkboard, & watched hours of game film spanning 2-4 years of college play growth to get a guage on them.

The "experts" are anything BUT experts & are really just a step up from a lot of our armchair GM's except they actually get paid to be ignorant & spew uninformed crap.

Many of the "experts" watch one YouTube video, look at paper stats, read someone elses report which was probably written half-cooked & with bias, & they dismiss players if they're not a media darling or go to a successful school.

Our FO met with each of these picks multiple times, worked them out personally, got them to scheme on the chalkboard, & watched hours of game film spanning 2-4 years of college play growth to get a guage on them.

The "experts" are anything BUT experts & are really just a step up from a lot of our armchair GM's except they actually get paid to be ignorant & spew uninformed crap.

Agreed. If any of these "experts" knew what he was doing he'd be in a front office not a laptop.

Why is any pick considered a reach? Just because some non-NFL employeed who are journalistic hacks say that someone is "rated" low? If a team picks a guy regrdless of the round, it is not a reach for that team.

Draft analysis has really gotten on my nerves this year.