Solidify

juiceaccts

We didn't go flashy, we went solid. This draft told me the most so far about what our franchise will be... solid. perennial solid.

We took a few risks last year and we had some really bad injury luck. All over, not just with our '09 draft. Not a TON of injuries but KEY injuries. (Dude, how did we end with 9-7 ... we should have been 7-9 with all that crap)

We got some really good value last year and can still reap those massive benefits. We're becoming one of them 'stacked' teams. Depth draft is what winners do. I'm not trying to make the obligatory panickers (never fails, go to any of the other 31 message boards) feel better, I just want to put my thoughts out there and get some feedback. Lets take a look at last year before we talk about our draft...

We lost 3 guys that we all had huge hopes for. Douglas, then Jerry, then Moore. We all saw what the loss of Douglas did to our offense, and how Jenkins struggled. We saw Jerry immediately being disruptive, at least in pass rush, then when he went down our pressure disappeared like Houdini. Moore was completely unproven as a Falcons but a baller in college. A difference-maker. I really like Coleman (more than others on this board) and DeCoud showed up last year in his first starting role, but Moore and DeCoud? Wow.

So.. our draft: I was on the 'DE in the 1st!' wagon. I really wanted Graham and once the Eagles (wow) got him I was praying for Morgan. TD said that a 'couple guys came off the board' that made his decision easier when he went for Spoon. That's fine, TD played the game and got his guy at his pick, no BS. This was an insanely safe pick (we all know about DE bust ratios) considering Weatherspoons work ethic, skill, and injury history.

Then we skip the 2nd and get a DT prospect that I've never heard of. A OT/G and a G/C come next, "Boring!" I thought. A CB who many are calling a "steal" comes next, who I am actually least excited about. A WR who I've never heard of next, and a S to cap our draft class. What do all of those have in common? We got ****** up at those positions last year AND had trouble with consistency. OH SNAP, it only makes perfect ******* sense!

Our DT is insurance (PJ's knee and Babs' suspension) and possibly an answer if PJ can't handle the run.

OT/G/C two picks are potential starters behind some of our strugglers, quality backups and can help us when we lose some folks to FA or retirement in the near future.

We have a spot open at CB with the 'loss' off Houston and Hill. Guy with a lot of upside and someone we could see at KR/PR.

Next a WR who will compete for the last WR spot... wtf? This guy is so underrated it's not even funny. I'd hate to see Weems go but Meier has the spirit, hands, sick routes, leverage, smarts, basically every thing except for speed (4.6 I believe) and this is my FAVORITE pick of the draft.

Lastly an admittedly fodder pick. Will compete for the 4th S slot and some ST play.

I'd like to say also that I was a huge proponent of trading down to the bottom of the 1st and getting Griffen. Apparently the NFL scouts knew something that was only mildly reported and Griffen was badmouthed by his former coaches. A 'steal' is basically great upside for the amount you 'spend' on a player. As covered, that wasn't the style of this draft. Risk was last year, and was fun for the boards... not for the field.

So we come out of this draft with not much to talk about. That's the problem for most people. Solid ain't flashy. Not until September, that is.

Falcons really got hurt when they lost linemen last year, they just drafted insurance for the interiors of both lines.

Here's a draft analysis I agree with:

By Tony Moss

NFL Editor, The Sports Network

Analysis: Weatherspoon was hardly a surprising selection for Atlanta, as Mike Smith was looking to upgrade the front seven. Weatherspoon can play MLB, but will probably begin his career on the outside. With the first of their two third-round picks, the Falcons got a player in Peters who will add some immediate depth on the interior d-line. Peters could have a chance to start. With the final pick of the third-round, Atlanta targeted Johnson, who could offer some long-term depth. Hawley, who can also play guard, was a similar-type pick in Round 4. Franks is an undersized corner, who may add most of his value as a special-teamer. Meier is a converted quarterback who could be the heir apparent to long-time, versatile Falcon Brian Finneran. Schillinger, a special teams possibility, will join another ex-Montana Grizzly, Kroy Biermann, on the Atlanta roster.

Bottom Line: Really good draft for the Falcons, who wisely spent their top picks to enhance defensive front seven and offensive line.

Grade: A-

Think of it like taking a crap. Do you want it to be FLASHY or SOLID?

Cheers,

GO

Hahahah I love this, +1.

Do you want our draft to be a crap shoot? Do you want it to blow up on us and end up with a big mess?

No, you want to stick around for a long time. You want to be constipated with quality.

Solid picks.... yes.

The big thing I see too is versatility.... everyone we drafted seems to have played multiple positions..... that just adds to depth without adding players... Brilliant!

I think every one of these guys enjoys and loves the game of football.... high character guys.

GO FALCONS!

I agree after I got over being hurt because Graham and Morgan were off the board I realized the Spoon is a great consulation prize for me and he will be a good one. The rest of the DRaft we passed big name after big name but we got players that will help solidfy our depth and be groomed to replace some of our current starters especially on the OLIne. I am really excited about our Oline picks and I do think that Johnson is going to be pushing hard to start this year so the Guards better get ready. The More i read and watch with Meier teh MOre I like about him too.

I like this draft, as a matter of fact I like this draft more than last year because I see us as being able to pick depth and not looking for immediate starters everytime we pick like the Lions, Bucs, RAms, RAiders, ETC.

Just wait gents.. 2 or three years from now, we have at least 3 starters possibly 4. Not to mention this draft is like 2 in one because we have guys from last year just now getting into thier starting roles.

Johnson- Outstanding rush offense in Alabama. don't kid yourself he is a starter for Atlanta soon.

Hawley-just might be the next Atlanta starting C.

Weatherspoon-We don't hear it but I guarantee teams are envious that we just landed the best allaround OLB in the draft with unreal ability.

Peters- Will be a rotational starter in no time. There were many teams in line to grab this guy.

Franks-He just might be taking a Chevis Jackson role sooner than later.

Meier-This kid made his place in the pros and he just made a switch from QB. Talk about unlimited upside. He is bigger and faster than Anqoin Boldin, faster that his team mate at KU who got more play, smart as **** and already a good route runner. Between Jenks and HD, he can sub for awhile but when everyone sees what he does, we will have to make room for him. Could be Jenks is the one to be worried. and I like Jenks btw.

Holy crap, just look at the list we have already... Robinson, Jerry, HD, DeCoud, Moore, biermann, grimes, lofton, owens, reynolds, sidbury, nicholas, norwood.

also don't be surprised if udfa colin peek takes zingers position at TE.

Just wait gents.. 2 or three years from now, we have at least 3 starters possibly 4. Not to mention this draft is like 2 in one because we have guys from last year just now getting into thier starting roles.

Johnson- Outstanding rush offense in Alabama. don't kid yourself he is a starter for Atlanta soon.

Hawley-just might be the next Atlanta starting C.

Weatherspoon-We don't hear it but I guarantee teams are envious that we just landed the best allaround OLB in the draft with unreal ability.

Peters- Will be a rotational starter in no time. There were many teams in line to grab this guy.

Franks-He just might be taking a Chevis Jackson role sooner than later.

Meier-This kid made his place in the pros and he just made a switch from QB. Talk about unlimited upside. He is bigger and faster than Anqoin Boldin, faster that his team mate at KU who got more play, smart as **** and already a good route runner. Between Jenks and HD, he can sub for awhile but when everyone sees what he does, we will have to make room for him. Could be Jenks is the one to be worried. and I like Jenks btw.

Holy crap, just look at the list we have already... Robinson, Jerry, HD, DeCoud, Moore, biermann, grimes, lofton, owens, reynolds, sidbury, nicholas, norwood.

also don't be surprised if udfa colin peek takes zingers position at TE.

12140065756iBZv4.jpg

I was able to read the first line...

Gem of a post Juice, I missed it for a while.

I'm with ya, I think Meier could win the sleeper award.

If we can stay healthy, I think we break some records this year. I haven't been this excited about something in a very long time. Normally I'm going into football season rambling about if these 2 or 3 guys have a good season, we might make the playoffs & have a couple pro bowlers. And I just pray for no injuries & every year they happen & it shoots down the entire feeling. But this year, it's crazy. There's soooo much GOOD depth even if there are injuries I'm not worried. When I look at everyone, it seems like we could actually have 5 or 6 pro bowlers if they have break out seasons.

Heck, even some of our UDFA's seem like potential great talent & that almost never happens. Normally there's maybe 1 guy I'm like he might make ST but there's 4 or 5 that could actually make the 53, which is crazy.

Sky is the limit this year. I love this draft. We drafted for depth which signals very good things. Teams don't do that unless they're on the verge of something big.

Losing Douglas, and Jerry really hurt us. I wouldn't be surprised to see Douglas become the #2 WR.

I dont see HD unseating Jenkins as the starter and anyway he is more dangerous in the slot with the screens and his matchups against safeties and LBs.

The losses hurt bad last year including Moore we had 3 guys that didnt even get to make a difference last year. We had critical losses and its only by heart we ended up 9-7.

Turner missed half the year. Ryan missed a couple games that probably would have decided whether we went to the playoffs. Norwood was banged up, etc, etc.

This year we have a bit more depth and hopefully we wont have the season ending injuries.

We all know injuries are a part of the game but if we can sustain our health, there are no limits for this team.

You always have a first thought. I like many others was a little thrown off, never mad but it didnt really go exactly like I thought it would. And thats ok. However.....it doesnt matter if you get them in the 1st, the 7th or sign em after the draft. You win some and you lose some. Some will work out and some wont. Now we cant all expect every single pick to have HOF careers, let alone make a giant impact. But hopefully with TD's success we will have solid contributers, and maybe one or two that will be true difference makers. I havent posted much since the draft(got a puppy, a 1 year old and a 4 year old) but I have been reading. And I have noticed, like myself the moods/opinions have started to become more and more optimistic since. Well so now that the draft is over, aside from camps...what the **** do we do until August?

Ray Lewis

Falcons really got hurt when they lost linemen last year, they just drafted insurance for the interiors of both lines.

Here's a draft analysis I agree with:

By Tony Moss

NFL Editor, The Sports Network

Analysis: Weatherspoon was hardly a surprising selection for Atlanta, as Mike Smith was looking to upgrade the front seven. Weatherspoon can play MLB, but will probably begin his career on the outside. With the first of their two third-round picks, the Falcons got a player in Peters who will add some immediate depth on the interior d-line. Peters could have a chance to start. With the final pick of the third-round, Atlanta targeted Johnson, who could offer some long-term depth. Hawley, who can also play guard, was a similar-type pick in Round 4. Franks is an undersized corner, who may add most of his value as a special-teamer. Meier is a converted quarterback who could be the heir apparent to long-time, versatile Falcon Brian Finneran. Schillinger, a special teams possibility, will join another ex-Montana Grizzly, Kroy Biermann, on the Atlanta roster.

Bottom Line: Really good draft for the Falcons, who wisely spent their top picks to enhance defensive front seven and offensive line.

Grade: A-

I agree with it as well.