Walterfootball.com grades the Falcons draft overall

theProf

2010 NFL Draft Grades:

Atlanta's primary goal entering the 2010 NFL Draft should have been to find players who could help with a pedestrian pass rush that accumulated only 28 sacks in 2009.

Mission failed. I really like Sean Weatherspoon as a prospect, and I know all three prominent pass-rushers - Brandon Graham, Derrick Morgan and Jason Pierre-Paul - went off the board before No. 19, but Atlanta should have done something to ensure themselves of Graham or Morgan. If the Eagles were capable of moving from 23 to 13, then the Falcons could have done so as well.

As I said though, Weatherspoon projects as a very good defender. Guard Mike Johnson could be a starter if he beats out Justin Blalock. And Dominique Franks was a steal at No. 135. But when you're trying to beat Drew Brees, it's paramount that you have a great pass rush. The Falcons still don't.

Overall 2010 NFL Draft Grade given on 4/26/10: C+

2010 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

19. Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri

Sean Weatherspoon is a talented, blue-collar, high-character guy who had Falcons written all over him. He fills a big position of need. (Pick Grade: A)

83. Corey Peters, DT, Kentucky

I guess Peria Jerry's ACL recovery isn't going along very well? If so, this pick makes a lot of sense. If not, you have to wonder how the Falcons will get to the quarterback. (Pick Grade: C)

98. Mike Johnson, G, Alabama

Not the pick I would have made (hello, defensive end?) but I like Mike Johnson as a Round 3-4 prospect. He could challenge Justin Blalock at left guard; Blalock didn't play particularly well last year. (Pick Grade: "B")

117. Joe Hawley, C, UNLV

Joe Hawley? Over Matt Tennant and Eric Olsen? This fills a need at center, but Hawley, a late-round prospect, is a reach. (Pick Grade: C)

135. Dominique Franks, CB, Oklahoma

Dominique Franks is a Round 2-3 prospect. You can never have enough quality corners when you're trying to beat Drew Brees. I really like this pick. (Pick Grade: A)

165. Kerry Meier, WR, Kansas

A big, raw receiver, the Falcons will hope Kerry Meier challenges for the No. 2 receiver position across from Roddy White. I'm not so optimistic. (Pick Grade: C)

171. Shann Schillinger, S, Montana

Someone to push disappointing rookie William Moore. Not a big fan of this selection; still no defensive ends. (Pick Grade: C)

Key Undrafted Free Agents:

Colin Peek, TE, Alabama

Ryan Wolfe, WR, UNLV

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2010atl.php

2010 NFL Draft Grades:

Mission failed. I really like Sean Weatherspoon as a prospect, and I know all three prominent pass-rushers - Brandon Graham, Derrick Morgan and Jason Pierre-Paul - went off the board before No. 19, but Atlanta should have done something to ensure themselves of Graham or Morgan. If the Eagles were capable of moving from 23 to 13, then the Falcons could have done so as well.

Key Undrafted Free Agents:

Colin Peek, TE, Alabama

Ryan Wolfe, WR, UNLV

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2010atl.php

First I've heard of Peek signing with us. Good news.

We now have 2 UNLV Rebels and 2 Alabama rookies in camp this year.

In the draft spin they dished out. They fail to recognize that the Eagles had three 2nd round picks they could could use to move up. Atlanta had ZERO 2nd round picks. So in reality it was much easier or the Eagles to move up then it would have been for the Falcons.

Lets look at what the experts thought about the 07 draft:

l...i...n...k

John Czarnecki, FOXSports.com: Grade –– A+ "Most of their NFC South opponents thought the Falcons really helped themselves. After losing defensive end Patrick Kerney, Arkansas’ Jamaal Anderson made perfect sense in the first round.

Pete Prisco, CBSSportsline.com: Grade –– A: "Best pick: They got the best defensive player in the first round when they took defensive end Jamaal Anderson. He will be a star

USA Today: Grade –– Three Stars: "Defensive end was a major need, and the Falcons got an excellent one in Southeastern Conference sack leader Jamaal Anderson

I don't see the point in giving draft grades a few days after the fact. Maybe a year or two to actually see how the drafted players perform in the NFL, but a few days after is pointless.

I'd also like to point out that Walter Football gave very good grades to teams that drafted players they made it abundantly clear they favored (eg. Panthers got Clausen and they got an A).

In the draft spin they dished out. They fail to recognize that the Eagles had three 2nd round picks they could could use to move up. Atlanta had ZERO 2nd round picks. So in reality it was much easier or the Eagles to move up then it would have been for the Falcons.

I think many of the draft graders fail to adequately take into account the number and rounds that a team has to work with. The best unofficial list of all the Falcons undrafted FA signings as follows:

Falcons

Tim Buckley, QB/RB/WR, Alcorn State

Weston Johnson, LB, Wyoming

Dimitri Nance, RB, Arizona State

Colin Peek, TE, Alabama

Garrett Lindholm, K, Tarleton State

Bear Woods, LB, Troy,

Rafael Bush, DB, Sc. State.

Ryan Wolfe, WR, UNLV

Michael Palmer, TE, Clemson

Gabriel Derricks, CB/S, San Diego

Leroy Banks, TE, Southern Miss

http://www.nepatriot...ree-agents.html

I used to look at Walterfootball.com quite a bit, but honestly it's not a very savvy site for analysis or grading prospects. Every single year they project guys to go early that don't end up going until late in the draft.

They proclaimed Donovan Warren to be one of the better corners in this class and the kid didn't even get drafted.

I don't put much stock in what they post. They don't even usually have a good full list with updated prospect analysis at each position. Aside from the for-sure 1st round picks, every other prospects has severely outdated, misleading, or uninformed blurbs.

l...i...n...k

John Czarnecki, FOXSports.com: Grade –– A+ "Most of their NFC South opponents thought the Falcons really helped themselves. After losing defensive end Patrick Kerney, Arkansas’ Jamaal Anderson made perfect sense in the first round.

Pete Prisco, CBSSportsline.com: Grade –– A: "Best pick: They got the best defensive player in the first round when they took defensive end Jamaal Anderson. He will be a star

USA Today: Grade –– Three Stars: "Defensive end was a major need, and the Falcons got an excellent one in Southeastern Conference sack leader Jamaal Anderson

That's hilarious!.. Why does he keep saying Blalock is going to get pushed? Dahl is the one we're trying to replace.

Very good point about the Eagles.

gb

l...i...n...k

Nice catch.

gb

Well PFW just came out with its draft grades and gave the Falcons a "B". They seem to be the only one acknowledging that Atlanta did not have a second round selection due to trading for TonyG.

"Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons are counting on Weatherspoon to give the defense a lift.

GM Thomas Dimitroff added much-needed youth at key positions. LB Sean Weatherspoon(notes) and DT Corey Peters(notes) have the burst desired in Mike Smith’s(notes) fast-flowing front. The Falcons have already benefited a full season from the presence of TE Tony Gonzalez(notes), for whom they shipped their second-round pick to Kansas City last year. OG Mike Johnson and C Joe Hawley(notes) could eventually step into the starting lineup. Kerry Meier(notes) can contribute as a possession receiver. FS Shann Schillinger(notes) can have a special teams-impact. The Falcons acquired Tye Hill(notes) for a late pick in this draft and it didn’t work out, but they also were able to ship out Chris Houston(notes) for picks. In all, factoring an aging Gonzalez, it is safe to say the Falcons will come away with three starters and some solid contributors.

Grade: B"

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Am.u1kFPSRzJr7nlsc8qisBDubYF?slug=pfw-20100426_draft_helps_nfc_west_get_stronger

I hate reading things like "Hawley? when Tennant and Olsen were available?"... The front office isnt ******** and knew those players were still available but obviously think Hawley is a better fit for the team. People need to stop grading the draft before any actual football is played

165. Kerry Meier, WR, Kansas

A big, raw receiver, the Falcons will hope Kerry Meier challenges for the No. 2 receiver position across from Roddy White. I'm not so optimistic. (Pick Grade: C)

Really? the falcons expect a 5th round converted QB to beat out Douglas, Jenkins, Finneran and Weemes? if he is on the active roster i'll be happy much less a starter.

I used to look at Walterfootball.com quite a bit, but honestly it's not a very savvy site for analysis or grading prospects. Every single year they project guys to go early that don't end up going until late in the draft.

They proclaimed Donovan Warren to be one of the better corners in this class and the kid didn't even get drafted.

I don't put much stock in what they post. They don't even usually have a good full list with updated prospect analysis at each position. Aside from the for-sure 1st round picks, every other prospects has severely outdated, misleading, or uninformed blurbs.

Your right they had the Falcons taking Warren in the first round before we got Robinson..Sad Mayock said if he said he would have stayed in school for 1 more year he would have been 1-3 CB's in next years draft