Falcons should follow suit with JA98

real_fan

Turns out the New York Jets did more than change Vernon Gholston's position for 2010. They also took some money from his pocket.

The Jets have restructured Gholston's contract, a source familiar with the situation said on Sunday. While the specific numbers weren't immediately available, the team lowered his base salary (originally $1.9 million), with a chance for him to recoup the money by reaching incentives, a source said.

Jets blog

Looking for more information on the green and white? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

The important part of the restructuring is this: It ensures that Gholston, the disappointing first-round pick in 2008, will go to training camp with the team and will have a chance to earn playing time.

Gholston appeared to be on shaky ground at the end of last season, as the organization deliberated on whether to give him another season or to cut bait. With it being an uncapped year, it would've been the ideal time to unload him without a salary-cap hit. They decided to retain him, but with a different position.

After two seasons at outside linebacker, Gholston was moved recently to defensive end, where he will play behind Shaun Ellis. The change, first reported by ESPNNewYork.com, was cemented when they signed free-agent pass rusher Jason Taylor, formerly of the Dolphins.

Rex Ryan, who confirmed the move Saturday in his post-draft news conference, said Gholston at defensive end "will give us the opportunity to be more athletic at the position." In reality, it puts Gholston one step closer to the door.

Gholston was the sixth overall choice in 2008, and signed a five-year contract with $21 million in guarantees. So far, it looks like one of the worst contracts in recent history. In two seasons, he has yet to record a sack.

We should have did that a long time ago but our front office stands for mediocrity with Jammal Anderson and continue to say he is improving blah blah but in all reality he is a waste he should give back his pay check cause he never earned it ..Its time we cut this waste and move on we have plenty of depth now at DT ..Anderson holds no value he is a waste. Im happy TD got rid of another waste in Houston which he would do the same for Anderson

Guest Gritz

I don't see him being here come training camp. Even the supporters try and point that he helps more at DT, but now we have invested into another DT so that easily puts Jamaal one step closer to the door as well.

Cosign......The only real value he has shown has been that he has been somewhat decent against the run....I don't think he'll be on our roster come late August either...

His fate will really be sealed if the front office decides to bring in any FA DE still out there.

Cosign......The only real value he has shown has been that he has been somewhat decent against the run....I don't think he'll be on our roster come late August either...

His fate will really be sealed if the front office decides to bring in any FA DE still out there.

and if they don't, sadly/painfully to say, if will prob. hang around another year. :(

Busterson supporter checking in here. :lol:

Dude can we please remove this man from our roster? I have seen pretty much every Falcon DE and DT that ever put a Falcon jersey on and I have never, ever, seen a bigger bust. Seriously. All these guys were better:

DE

Claude

Abe

Chuck

Kerney

Doleman

Zook

Green

Brady

Merrow

Pitts

Bryan

Gann

Chauncey

Biermann

DT

Coleman

Babineaux

Jumpy

Grady

Travis

Ellis

Casillas

Jasper

Tilleman

Moe

Dronnett

Holt

Don

Peria

TJ

Edited by FalconFanSince1970

Im against the guy as much as anyone, but there is no point in cutting him right now. Who do we have that is going to take his spot? Maybe if we drafted a DE then i would be ok with cutting him.

Like it or not i would rather have Andersons versatility for DE and DT than to have Johnson or Walker. I think if we were to cut someone on the D line at either DE or DT then it should be one of those 2 guys. Anderson does give us a little more versatility to run some different packages. (not that we ever do that anyways)

But with him we could do different things. And he also could provide depth at both positions if we encounter some injuries.

I believe that we will eventually work him into a full time DT role by the time this season is over and once he puts on his weight and still is not producing then he will be released.

Im against the guy as much as anyone, but there is no point in cutting him right now. Who do we have that is going to take his spot?[/
I would say Gazoo could. Seriously. Give him 700 snaps and he will drag down an NFL QB at least 0.5 times. You seen the guns lately?
Maybe if we drafted a DE then i would be ok with cutting him.Like it or not i would rather have Andersons versatility for DE and DT than to have Johnson or Walker. I think if we were to cut someone on the D line at either DE or DT then it should be one of those 2 guys. Anderson does give us a little more versatility to run some different packages. (not that we ever do that anyways)But with him we could do different things. And he also could provide depth at both positions if we encounter some injuries.I believe that we will eventually work him into a full time DT role by the time this season is over and once he puts on his weight and still is not producing then he will be released.
LMAO. I flat out love TJ. Street free agent. Put in the mix and made the coaches say DAM!!!! Started in most pre season games. Made several plays. Decided to go with the draft board and start PJ. When PJ got hurt he took over and made several plays before he got hurt. Screwed up in one game early in the season. Got chewed out on the sideline. Proceeded to go back in the game and kick some serious as. Ole boy could play on my team. Any day. Trust me.

I really wish we would deal him for a late round pick. Some 3-4 team has to be interested in him. I would be fine with picking up some stop-gap LE in free agency and then dealing him for a 2011 draft pick.

I would say Gazoo could. Seriously. Give him 700 snaps and he will drag down an NFL QB at least 0.5 times. You seen the guns lately?

Yeah that Avi is pretty freaking lame IMO. You can tell he probably just got done doing some pushups and oiled his arms up and is flexing :lol:

LMAO. I flat out love TJ. Street free agent. Put in the mix and made the coaches say DAM!!!! Started in most pre season games. Made several plays. Decided to go with the draft board and start PJ. When PJ got hurt he took over and made several plays before he got hurt. Screwed up in one game early in the season. Got chewed out on the sideline. Proceeded to go back in the game and kick some serious as. Ole boy could play on my team. Any day. Trust me.

Yeah i like TJ's story. I don't think he was a super great player. He was a very solid guy. If i had to choose which one to cut between him and Vance i don't know who i would choose. With the 3 main DT's that we have PJ,Bab,Peters neither of them will see enough PT to make a significant impact. So i think that COULD give the edge to JA98 because he does give us a different skill set and added depth.

Either way Anderson,Walker,Johnson its doubtful any of them will have too big of an impact positive or negative.

Im against the guy as much as anyone, but there is no point in cutting him right now. Who do we have that is going to take his spot? Maybe if we drafted a DE then i would be ok with cutting him.

Like it or not i would rather have Andersons versatility for DE and DT than to have Johnson or Walker. I think if we were to cut someone on the D line at either DE or DT then it should be one of those 2 guys. Anderson does give us a little more versatility to run some different packages. (not that we ever do that anyways)

But with him we could do different things. And he also could provide depth at both positions if we encounter some injuries.

I believe that we will eventually work him into a full time DT role by the time this season is over and once he puts on his weight and still is not producing then he will be released.

very logical

Lets face it, the reason Jamaal has not been cut is the very thing that we harp about. HE is versatile. He may not be dominating at any one position, but he plays two positions adequately. Versatility is one of the key attributes that TD and Smitty covet. Jamaal is also a hard worker and keeps his nose clean.

I am not a huge fan of Jamaal. I think that ultimately he was way over picked and isn't the prototypical DE we needed. HOWEVER, he is now the sort of player that the Falcons like. So cutting him makes NO sense at all now.

If we cut bait a year ago, I would have understood. But now, he is a role player that fits into our scheme. Will he be resigned at the end of his contract? Maybe not, but he also may take less money and have a Gholston style contract. Incentive laden.

Cutting him isn't the prudent thing now. Unless we can get some good veteran help in FA, or after cuts.

Yeah i like TJ's story. I don't think he was a super great player. He was a very solid guy. If i had to choose which one to cut between him and Vance i don't know who i would choose.

If my choices are TJ and Vance I gotta go with Busterson. I truly believe either one would take his lunch money. TJ made plays at NT and Vance made plays at UT. I'm sorry but so far both seem to want the position more than Busterson. Believe it or not I want Busterson to succeed. It would only boost us. It's all in his head. He just needs to spend a couple weeks with me and I will get him straightened out. He reminds me of one of my favorite Braves. John Smoltz. All the tools. Needs a mental adjustment.
With the 3 main DT's that we have PJ,Bab,Peters neither of them will see enough PT to make a significant impact. So i think that COULD give the edge to JA98 because he does give us a different skill set and added depth.Either way Anderson,Walker,Johnson its doubtful any of them will have too big of an impact positive or negative.
You are wrong because without a doubt Babineaux is a flat out NFL DT as beater. Yes he has some dog killin gunja issues but he will beat more NFL as than most. Trust me. The rest of em? I'd say it's a free for all. I think I would put my money on TJ. I think the only one that beats him out is a FA or the typical TD/Smitty "'we're gonna start our draft picks no matter how sorry they are' mantra.

ANY time you see The statement TRUST me in his post" let buyer beware".

If my choices are TJ and Vance I gotta go with Busterson. I truly believe either one would take his lunch money. TJ made plays at NT and Vance made plays at UT. I'm sorry but so far both seem to want the position more than Busterson. Believe it or not I want Busterson to succeed. It would only boost us. It's all in his head. He just needs to spend a couple weeks with me and I will get him straightened out. He reminds me of one of my favorite Braves. John Smoltz. All the tools. Needs a mental adjustment.

Seriously your now going to try and convince us that:

1 You want him to succeed when you have done nothing but put him down for like 3 years. Let me guess you want us to TRUST YOU.

2 You are going to straighten him out? How show him how to watch films over and over and over. thanks but no thanks!!!

You are wrong because without a doubt Babineaux is a flat out NFL DT as beater. Yes he has some dog killin gunja issues but he will beat more NFL as than most. Trust me. The rest of em? I'd say it's a free for all. I think I would put my money on TJ. I think the only one that beats him out is a FA or the typical TD/Smitty "'we're gonna start our draft picks no matter how sorry they are' mantra.

Busterson supporter checking in here. :lol:

Dude can we please remove this man from our roster? I have seen pretty much every Falcon DE and DT that ever put a Falcon jersey on and I have never, ever, seen a bigger bust. Seriously. All these guys were better:

DE

Claude

Abe

Chuck

Kerney

Doleman

Zook

Green

Brady

Merrow

Pitts

Bryan

Gann

Chauncey

Biermann

DT

Coleman

Babineaux

Jumpy

Grady

Travis

Ellis

Casillas

Jasper

Tilleman

Moe

Dronnett

Holt

Don

Peria

TJ

tis bad when the likes of Pierce Holt and Mike Gann can beat you out as a D Lineman

tis very bad

You mis interpreted what i was saying.

I am saying because we have Peria, Babineaux, and Peters that neither TJ,Vance or Andersons will have a significant impact positively or negatively. I know that the main 3 should have a good impact.

...JA98 because he does give us a different skill set and added depth...

JA98 and Skill do not belong in the same sentence

...Jamaal is also a hard worker and keeps his nose clean...

To bad keeping your nose clean doesnt make you a NFL caliber DE/DT, now a sack every now and then could be a start