Unofficial list and brief bio of undrafted free agent signings

theProf

FLOWERY BRANCH – Former Georgia Tech tight end Colin Peek, who transferred to Alabama, heads up a list of college free agents expected to sign with the Falcons.

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said the team expected to sign 11 to 12 prospects and definitely a running back.

The team is expected to announce the official list later today or Monday.

But here’s a look at the unofficial list as the team waits for the contract process to run its course:

Leroy Banks, TE, Southern Miss, 6-foot-3, 243-pounds: Started his career at Coahoma Junior College. He is from Memphis Whitehaven High.

Tim Buckley, QB, Alcorn State, 6-1, 185: Led the Braves vaunted attack last season.

Rafael Bush, S, S. C. State, 5-11, 195: He was highly productive for the Bulldogs, making 222 career tackles and scored three touchdowns as a senior.

Gabe Derricks, S, San Diego, 6-3, 202: Started for four years at cornerback in college.

Justin Drescher, LS, Colorado, 6-1, 230: A four-year snapper for the Buffaloes.

Weston Johnson, LB, Wyoming, 6-3, 233: Played outside linebacker and was the team captain last season.

Dimitri Nance, RB, Arizona State, 5-9, 224: Parents were born in Liberia. Ran for more than 3,000 yards during one season in high school, but Big 12 schools turned their noses up at him. He had 341 carries for 3,173 yards and 41 touchdowns as a senior while playing in Texas 5Aclassification.

Michael Palmer, TE, Clemson, 6-5, 260: Started all 13 games last season, catching 43 passes for 507 yards and four touchdowns. Played at Parkview High.

Colin Peek, TE, Alabama: He was projected as a fifth or sixth round pick by Pro Football Weekly. Two foot injuries in college probably caused him to drop out of the draft.

Ryan Wolfe, WR, UNLV, 6-1, 205: Visited the Falcons during the pre-draft process. A highly productive receiver, who caught more passes than any receiver in the nation over the past four years with 283 career receptions.

Bear Woods, LB, Troy, 6-0, 245: He had to set out two games last season as part of his appeal to restore his redshirt status with the NCAA. Was the Troy’s leading tackler as a junior with 108.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/04/25/nfl-draft-a-look-at-the-falcons-college-free-agents/

Atljbo's excellent thread on undrafted free agents includes a Kicker that was not on Ledbetter's list. The time of the supporting article for Kicker Lindholm is about one hour after Ledbetter wrote his article.

Lindholm signs with Atlanta Falcons on Free Agent deal

4/25/2010 2:25:14 PM

ATLANTA - According to some reports, former Tarleton Texan Garrett Lindholm has signed a free agent contract with the National Football League's Atlanta Falcons.

Lindholm signed a two-year free agent deal with the Falcons, and the Pflugerville native will now have to make team to give the Texans their second player active in the NFL this coming season.

"Within a minute and a half after the draft, I had a deal done with the Falcons," Lindholm said. "I was relieved. There were no kickers taken in the draft this year, and we really thought that one of us would have gone.

"I knew that once the draft was over, it would be a flurry," Lindholm continued. "Atlanta, Indianapolis and Cleveland all had a lot of interest in me, so I decided I would pick what I believed is the best option for me before someone went another way."

The Falcons flew the special teams coach to meet with Lindholm last Monday to watch him kick.

"I am excited," Lindholm said. "I just hope to do everything I can to make the team and have the chance to play in the NFL."

Lindholm will take part in the Falcons' mini-camp which is set to begin on May 6.

http://www.tarletonsports.com/news/2010/4/25/FB_0425102923.aspx

FLOWERY BRANCH – Former Georgia Tech tight end Colin Peek, who transferred to Alabama, heads up a list of college free agents expected to sign with the Falcons.

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said the team expected to sign 11 to 12 prospects and definitely a running back.

The team is expected to announce the official list later today or Monday.

But here’s a look at the unofficial list as the team waits for the contract process to run its course:

Leroy Banks, TE, Southern Miss, 6-foot-3, 243-pounds: Started his career at Coahoma Junior College. He is from Memphis Whitehaven High.

Tim Buckley, QB, Alcorn State, 6-1, 185: Led the Braves vaunted attack last season.

Rafael Bush, S, S. C. State, 5-11, 195: He was highly productive for the Bulldogs, making 222 career tackles and scored three touchdowns as a senior.

Gabe Derricks, S, San Diego, 6-3, 202: Started for four years at cornerback in college.

Justin Drescher, LS, Colorado, 6-1, 230: A four-year snapper for the Buffaloes.

Weston Johnson, LB, Wyoming, 6-3, 233: Played outside linebacker and was the team captain last season.

Dimitri Nance, RB, Arizona State, 5-9, 224: Parents were born in Liberia. Ran for more than 3,000 yards during one season in high school, but Big 12 schools turned their noses up at him. He had 341 carries for 3,173 yards and 41 touchdowns as a senior while playing in Texas 5Aclassification.

Michael Palmer, TE, Clemson, 6-5, 260: Started all 13 games last season, catching 43 passes for 507 yards and four touchdowns. Played at Parkview High.

Colin Peek, TE, Alabama: He was projected as a fifth or sixth round pick by Pro Football Weekly. Two foot injuries in college probably caused him to drop out of the draft.

Ryan Wolfe, WR, UNLV, 6-1, 205: Visited the Falcons during the pre-draft process. A highly productive receiver, who caught more passes than any receiver in the nation over the past four years with 283 career receptions.

Bear Woods, LB, Troy, 6-0, 245: He had to set out two games last season as part of his appeal to restore his redshirt status with the NCAA. Was the Troy’s leading tackler as a junior with 108.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/04/25/nfl-draft-a-look-at-the-falcons-college-free-agents/

How many UDFAs can a team sign?

I don't think there is a limit on the number of undrafted free agents that a team can sign. It is being reported that the Saints signed 18. Several other teams from the following link have signed 16 or 17:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/p/2010-nfl-undrafted-free-agents.html

BTW the above link for each team undrafted free agent signings does include the new kicker Lindholm for Atlanta that Ledbetter's list did not have:

Falcons

Tim Buckley, QB/RB/WR, Alcorn State

Weston Johnson, LB, Wyoming

Dimitri Nance, RB, Arizona State

Colin Peek, TE, Alabama

Garrett Lindholm, K, Tarleton State

Bear Woods, LB, Troy,

Rafael Bush, DB, Sc. State.

Ryan Wolfe, WR, UNLV

Michael Palmer, TE, Clemson

Gabriel Derricks, CB/S, San Diego

Leroy Banks, TE, Southern Miss

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/p/2010-nfl-undrafted-free-agents.html

colin peek was a nice pickup especially for free.

I think he is the best out of the bunch. He was a very good blocker and shows a knack for getting open along with strong hands.

I think he can learn a lot from TG and could possible displace J. Peele as the #2

Hmm *Chuckle, A player from UW, I know most of you have no clue about UW. Its not exactly known for its sports programs. Born and raised in wyoming, and attended UW, really cool to think he might have a chance of making the team. Would make my day, then again I was happy to see us take some guys from Montana too.I doubt a quality QB, WR,or RB will ever come out of wyoming, but I do know the breeding stock in those parts makes some big boys that can take a beating. So put me down as officially pulling for him.....

Holy sh*t. 3000 yards is 3000 yards regardless of where you play.

Edited by MattIceRyanMVP2

The Palmer kid from Clemson(TE) has incredible hands. I'm very suprised he wasn't taken somewhere in the draft. I don't know aboout his blocking, but if he's an acceptable blocker I would bet just about anything that he makes the team. In the OP I see that we're surely planning on bringing in a rb as a FA. I kind of wish we would have taken a shot at drafting Legarret Blount(sp) the rb from Oregon who got himself into trouble after knocking the kid from Boise in the mouth after their game. I think the 49'ers brought him in as a FA and I think he's going to be an NFL player too.

A lot of good players.... like the Ryan Wolfe and Michael Palmer pickups! Dimitri Nance is an intriuging pick too.

I still can't believe we didn't bring in a single DE the entire draft and UDFA.

It blows my mind... not even one!

I still can't believe we didn't bring in a single DE the entire draft and UDFA.

It blows my mind... not even one!

LOL I was a bit surprised by that too. Actually kind of amused. I think perhaps the FO has a little bit of faith in the guys we have in place?

LOL I was a bit surprised by that too. Actually kind of amused. I think perhaps the FO has a little bit of faith in the guys we have in place?

They must.. and I have faith in them too... I do.

But nearly everyone in the world was in agreement that we lacked a pass rush at the DE position... and we didn't even pick one up?

Just baffled by that. It is actually amusing!

Even the mockers who didn't have us drafting a DE... had us picking up a free agent.

Can't help be beleive TD has something in the works....Umenyiora or Edwards?? Patrick Kerney out of retirement???

:lol: ...... :wacko:

Garrett Lindholm

I live in West Texas and work with the dad of the deep snapper and holder for Tarleton State. He has been telling me all about this kid. Here is the video of him nailing a 64 yard field goal in the D11 playoffs to send it to overtime!!!

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Atlanta may have found a real jewell with this Kicker. From an article posted by Tandy in another thread as follows:

"Most NCAA Division II football players are only dreaming when they talk of playing in the NFL.

Garrett Lindholm is not most Division II players.

The Tarleton State kicker from Pflugerville became an Internet video sensation when he nailed a 64-yard field goal at the end of regulation to send a playoff game to overtime at Texas A&M-Kingsville last fall.

Suddenly, Lindholm, already a pro prospect with a reputation for having a booming leg, was mentioned in USA Today. The kick was even replayed on ESPN's SportsCenter.

Since then, Lindholm has graduated, continued to work out and wowed NFL scouts at a pro day at North Texas when he went 3-4 from 60 yards with the wind and hit a 42-yard field goal against it.

Always humble, Lindholm didn't feel his pro day performance was very impressive.

"The 60 yard kicks were with the wind, and I didn't kick as well as I should have against the wind," said the D2football.com first-team All-American and finalist for the Fred Mitchell Outstanding Placekicker award, who is rated by at least one draft analyst as high as No. 3 among draft-eligible kickers.

"The snapper and holder were guys I had never worked with before and I was kind of nervous about that because the guys I worked with at Tarleton were pretty much automatic," Lindholm said. "But after a few kicks I got used to them."

Lindholm may not have been impressed, but the scouts were, and teams in need of kickers have stayed in touch either with him or his agent as the countdown to this weekend's NFL Draft continued.

"I've talked to the Cowboys, Atlanta, Carolina and St. Louis. Those are all teams who are looking for kickers," Lindholm said. "Tampa Bay and some others have talked to my agent. Several of the teams I don't have contacts with have talked to him."

Lindholm, who has worked with former Dallas kicker turned Cowboys kicking consultant Chris Boniol, kicked 22 touchbacks last season and was a perfect 8-8 on field goals inside 40 yards. He was 5-8 from 40-49 yards and 2-2 from longer than 50, including the historic kick at Kingsville that stands as a Division II playoff record, and a 55-yarder against a stiff wind to beat Midwestern State at the buzzer in a Lone Star Conference South Division game.

According to a list of Division II pro hopefuls on D2football.com, Lindholm is the sixth-rated overall Division II prospect.

While kickers are never taken early in the NFL Draft, teams have been known to draft them in the later rounds. Many get free agent contracts following the draft or are invited to team camps.

Lindholm will take whatever comes his way, but would love the opportunity to stay in Texas.

(Dallas or Houston) would be ideal because my friends and family could come watch me play," Lindholm said. "Also, I'm comfortable kicking in Texas weather. I trained all winter here and it helped to get out and kick in different elements."

As the draft, which began Thursday night, advances into the later stages (rounds two and three are Friday and rounds 4-7 are Saturday) Lindholm, like many other pro prospects around the country will be eagerly watching.

"When some of the teams come up that I know need kickers I'll be looking at my phone hoping it rings. I will definitely be holding (my phone) a little closer than normal," he said. "But I can't worry too much about it because it's out of my control. God will take care of it."