Where are all the "our pass rush sucks, so draft a DE" people?

yesmann

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a big supporter of grabbing 1 in FA.

explain why in this thread.

Basically i think the person we wanted wasnt there at the picks we had. Now we will see whats out there our test what we have and mix blitz to make up for them. But is someone steps up clearly in offseason or preseason it would be nice to see a new starter who actually gets some form of pressure. Maybe use JA as rotational.

I still think we missed the boat on some very skilled FA`s that could have helped us alot.

I agree we should not have taken a DE just to take one, but Greg Hardy would've been worth the risk in the 6th over the guy from Montana.

I agree, but we must not have liked him. Plenty of guys we passed on I thought were worth the risk, but the braintrust thought otherwise.

neither sidbury or bierman were early round picks so there's no way you can tell me that other de's didn't grade out higher than them in the third round,dimitroff got scooped by the eagles as i've said in all my posts about the draft, you have to get pressure from your ends in a 4-3 defense otherwise why run it,i like how the defense is progressing, but the draft is designed to fill your biggest need and ours was a de that could get pressure,so if you weren't high on any de after morgan and grahm were gone why not make a trade for a proven de,and de is not rocket science in the nfl so there is no learning curve,you just have to develop two moves and decide when to bull and when to speed rush.

I agree we should not have taken a DE just to take one, but Greg Hardy would've been worth the risk in the 6th over the guy from Montana.

It's not unheard of, but it's quite rare for a college underachiever to have the light go on in the pros. If guys don't have strong work ethic in college, they're going to look like rank amateurs against professionals who live and breathe to improve their games. I'd rather have a college achiever than a boom or bust pick.

Actullay, TD said it was Morgan, Pouncey and then Spoon.

I seriously doubt TD would throw our draft pick under the bus like that, I'd definitely need a quote to believe it. Like head busta from augusta said, we scouted Spoon more than any other player. There is no reson to believe he wasn't above the two DEs on TDs draft board.

Once Morgan and Graham went off the board there was little point in taking a player whose ceiling was no higher than Biermann or Sidbury

I totally agree those are the only 2 i wanted. And if we didnt get them i didnt want a DE. I was actually wanting to pick another lber like bowman to finish off lber spot for years to come. Cause we could have gotton a guy like cam thomas in the 5th as well as franks which i thought was a great pick. That would have had the cb spot and lber spot filled for years to come. I just didnt think there was any de that was better than what we had after morgan and graham

Help me out here what makes everybody think we did get the player we have always want. We have paid him the most attention "TD" is on record for saying that this is the guy they have always wanted. He has even mention that they did not target Graham prior to the draft. Not to mention he has not in three years targeted a "elite" talent DE thru FA or draft. Where is the delusion coming from? Is it because of the "draft experts" or consensus favorite position. In fact we didn't scout any "elite" talent DE until three weeks prior to the draft.

I'm not a mind reader and I don't have a crystal ball only thing I can do is go by what the guy said and what he actually done and I haven't seen any evident to think the guy deviated from his plan. We ended the season with 4 major holes: OLB, CB, Oline depth and Dline depth (pass rush). Our first off season addition was CB, our first picks addressed everything else (OLB, DT, OG/C & OC/G). What else is there to figure out, since the begin of the draft TD said he was concerned more about the pass rush up the middle versus the end position.

Can someone please help me with where you guys are getting your inside information other than speculating every jester someone makes as a sign that we didn't want this player or that player. Someone made a thread the other day that the fact that MS left the room that meant he was mad with a pick for god sake did any think maybe the man had to go take a piss! We scouted Peters so I have no doubt that he was high on our list as players we were looking at. I thought most of this "conspiracy theory" nonsense would have ended by now but see it will never until all players play their first full season and everyone can compare the performance of each play. We got the player we wanted!

i got my inside info.from watching 16 games in which the qb had all day to sit back and pick apart the secondary,from watching teams consistently convert on third downs,for being near the bottom of the league in sacks,qb pressures,and hurries,and getting absolutely nothing out of the end position last season

Once Morgan and Graham went off the board there was little point in taking a player whose ceiling was no higher than Biermann or Sidbury

This, this, this.

I said it all along. If we didn't get a first round DE I didn't think we would take one later

Our pass rush sucked last year, and I wanted a defensive end.

The long learning curve means it can't be ignored for long. In two years Davis, Anderson, and Abraham will likely not be on the roster. If we draft rookies then, our pass rush will suffer until they get passed the learning curve. With the rotation we run along the entire defensive line, defensive end still remains a position we will need to address.

This is very true. While we might or might not have been better off with a DE in round one, and I certainly wasn't in the camp that it was the best move, spork is dead on that we aren't looking beyond our collective noses here. DE is going to be emptying out in a year or two and who do we have to replace them? No one.

Even though we have those bodies here now, they were hardly productive last year.

I seriously doubt TD would throw our draft pick under the bus like that, I'd definitely need a quote to believe it. Like head busta from augusta said, we scouted Spoon more than any other player. There is no reson to believe he wasn't above the two DEs on TDs draft board.

He actually said during Spoon's presser that they were looking at him since last year when there was some talk about him coming out early. And they worked him out more than Graham and Morgan. So guessing of course, I'd say it was Spoon, Morgan, and Graham.

Quote please!

I dont think he will find one but TD als said that if Pouncey was still on the board at 19 along with Spoon, Spoon still would have been the choice.

I think out of Morgan and Graham TD and Smith ofcourse had their top DE out of the 2. But when their top DE went of the board they were going to take the best 4-3 OLB in the draft in Spoon. Realisticly I doubt TD and SMith believed the top DE in their minds would be there at 19 and Morgan wasnt.

IF the best DE in the draft falls to you ofcourse you have to take him because like TD said elite DE's come around once in a blue moon in FA. I dont believe Pouncey would have been the pick over Spoon and TD being realistic probably had Spoon our top shoice the whole time because he probably knew there was a slim chance of Morgan falling to 19.

This is very true. While we might or might not have been better off with a DE in round one, and I certainly wasn't in the camp that it was the best move, spork is dead on that we aren't looking beyond our collective noses here. DE is going to be emptying out in a year or two and who do we have to replace them? No one.

Even though we have those bodies here now, they were hardly productive last year.

This is true..

Just because we didn't address the DE position in the draft don't think our pass rush doesn't suck, because it does. We're all hoping that John returns to form and that our DE's are more productive this year. What if John doesn't improve? What if we continue to struggle to get a pass rush? Those are still possibilities.. I can see why we didn't bother to address it this year like some said after Graham and Morgan the drop off was significant.

DE is still a huge need for us and I hope that we address it next year.

This is true..

Just because we didn't address the DE position in the draft don't think our pass rush doesn't suck, because it does. We're all hoping that John returns to form and that our DE's are more productive this year. What if John doesn't improve? What if we continue to struggle to get a pass rush? Those are still possibilities.. I can see why we didn't bother to address it this year like some said after Graham and Morgan the drop off was significant.

ssshhhh

Dont say that too loud. Just because you are making sense doesnt mean it should be said. The 'I told you so' crowd will be on you like vultures on roadkill!

After all, if you think we need a pass rush you are basically saying you know more than TD

and that equals blasphemy these days... :rolleyes:

/sarcasm off

This is true..

Yes, but unlike last year and previous years especially we are a little better in dealing with that now. We're going see a level of aggression we haven't seen here in a long time. There's going to be more blitzing, not just from the LB corp, but from the secondary as well. And it was all made possible by picking up Dunta in FA.

You want to draft a 1st round DE because we may or may not have some one one roster today to replace them? I have to questions.

1. Prior to the draft did we have someone to replace any of our OLB in the next year?

2. Was this our last offseason if that becomes an issue can we not address that next year thru free agency (R. Edwards, M. Kiwanuka, S. Merrimann or T. Hali) or draft which next year draft appears to be much deeper (A. Clayborn, G. Romeus, B. Miller, R. Quinn and etc)

Sid had limited plays, so it's hard to be for sure. Biermann is coming along very well. But if anyone gets injured then we are in trouble. And if we want more pass rushers, they are still a few years out.

An INJURY at the DE position could be CRIPPLING to our chances to have a great season this year...that's true for many teams, but especially us!! :( I was also one of those that wanted Spoon @ the 19th pick...He not only helps us as a potential pass rusher with designed blitz packages, but also at a position of NEED where we were (and probably still are) a little thin.

It would be nice to have DEs stockpiled like the Giants, who arguably have 2 sets of STARTERS now at the DE position, but I would much rather have that depth in the "interior", which just so happens to be the shortest distance to opposing QBs :D . And, like some have already stated, the "value" at DE was "suspect" at best, after the selections of Morgan and Graham. I would much rather add a free agent VETERAN for depth purposes at DE than "HOPING" to draft an impactful rookie in his 1st season.

Edited by BirdzEyeView

i got my inside info.from watching 16 games in which the qb had all day to sit back and pick apart the secondary,from watching teams consistently convert on third downs,for being near the bottom of the league in sacks,qb pressures,and hurries,and getting absolutely nothing out of the end position last season

We can all agree this happened. However, why it happened seems to be the real question. John Abraham and Beirmann were the two DEs on most 3rd down snaps. If you want a DE, which 3rd down DE do you bench?

Many here seem to conflict with TD on why, as TD didn't find it necessary to trade or mo0ve around to make sure we got a pass ruishing DE.

He stated repeatedly he is comfortable with our DEs from last year. He also shored up CB and LB, both positions that can have a lot to do with an effective pass rush.

You want to draft a 1st round DE because we may or may not have some one one roster today to replace them? I have to questions.

1. Prior to the draft did we have someone to replace any of our OLB in the next year?

2. Was this our last offseason if that becomes an issue can we not address that next year thru free agency (R. Edwards, M. Kiwanuka, S. Merrimann or T. Hali) or draft which next year draft appears to be much deeper (A. Clayborn, G. Romeus, B. Miller, R. Quinn and etc)

My point exactly. I wanted us to either pick up an end by trade or thru FA'cy this year. We can still go that route if we have to next year and still draft one in the first round, depending what Abe's situation is after the season and what the team does with J. Anderson.

I can also see us taking another O-lineman next year as well, maybe two.

Edited by Falcons 'til Death

they are at home feeling like idiots...I had been saying it all along.

simple logic tells you that we already drafted 2 DEs. If we have the same guys coming back, why draft another guy to set the process back a couple years.

:blink: We drafted 2 LBs in those same drafts.

Who's feeling like the idiot now? :lol:

I was in favor of drafting Spoon. However, with a 6th

it would have been worth a shot at Greg Hardy. He was

ready for the NFL a couple of years ago and I think he

just lost focus on the college game. Similar to his

QB Jevan Snead. Hardy is going to come back to haunt us

now that he is at Carolina. He is not going to be mediocre

he is going to be outstanding or get cut. Very risky but

well worth a 6th round pick. Eric Norwood was out of the

picture after we picked Spoon but I think it would have

been hard to pass him up as the rounds rolled on. Carolina

did well with those 2 picks.

So I liked the Spoon pick very well but after that I have

some doubts. Just watch and see what they look like. I have

major homework to do to even learn who they all are.

We can all agree this happened. However, why it happened seems to be the real question. John Abraham and Beirmann were the two DEs on most 3rd down snaps. If you want a DE, which 3rd down DE do you bench?

Many here seem to conflict with TD on why, as TD didn't find it necessary to trade or mo0ve around to make sure we got a pass ruishing DE.

He stated repeatedly he is comfortable with our DEs from last year. He also shored up CB and LB, both positions that can have a lot to do with an effective pass rush.

TD and Coach obviously are expecting the Beerman and Sid to make big strides, along with some vamped-up

blitz packages

How's the shoulder Gaz?