Where are all the "our pass rush sucks, so draft a DE" people?

yesmann

All along sensible fans were saying "why draft a DE when they are hardly ever impact players in year one, we already have two DEs further along the learning curve, better interior rush will help," etc etc. So foor all of the fans wanting a DE, what do you think about this draft? TD clearly feels we are solid at DE.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our pass rush sucked last year, and I wanted a defensive end.

The long learning curve means it can't be ignored for long. In two years Davis, Anderson, and Abraham will likely not be on the roster. If we draft rookies then, our pass rush will suffer until they get passed the learning curve. With the rotation we run along the entire defensive line, defensive end still remains a position we will need to address.

I'm sure TD would have considered Graham or Morgan and I admit, when Morgan got close, I started wanting him. But I think they realize that interior rush would help significantly and Sidbury can develop into a very good NFL player. And Spoon helps our secondary as well as our pass rush.

Actually most of us wanted Morgan or Graham because we felt they were the only two that would make a significant impact as a rookie. They never made it to our pick so well never know.

There was a huge dropoff in DE talent after the first round.

That's true they were off the board, and it's easy to say we would have picked one of them up when in reality we don't know if we'd go with spoon or one of them given the opportunity. But I think Spoon was the guy all along, it's unlikely that either of those rookie DEs would be bettery than Biermann going into year three since rookie DEs have long learning curves.

Our pass rush sucked last year, and I wanted a defensive end.

The long learning curve means it can't be ignored for long. In two years Davis, Anderson, and Abraham will likely not be on the roster. If we draft rookies then, our pass rush will suffer until they get passed the learning curve. With the rotation we run along the entire defensive line, defensive end still remains a position we will need to address.

We already have two young DEs that are well along in that long learning curve, and we will start to see the fruit of the harvest this season with Biermann entering year three and Sid entering year two. We might pick up a DE in next years draft, but we didn't need one this year.

Well Graham and Morgan were off the board. I, for one, didn't want a DE after Graham or Morgan or Griff (looks like TD didn't like Griffen though.) TD has said there where a 'couple of guys' that came off the board early that made their pick at 19 even easier.

I love Spoon, I just really think that with all things considered we're putting a lot of stock into our current DL. I was expecting a DT in the 3rd but was confused when we picked THAT one. Saw some highlights/interviews and am very impressed, though.

I think our season is going to come down to how healthy Abe and Jerry stay and how well they play.

We already have two young DEs that are well along in that long learning curve, and we will start to see the fruit of the harvest this season with Biermann entering year three and Sid entering year two. We might pick up a DE in next years draft, but we didn't need one this year.

Sid had limited plays, so it's hard to be for sure. Biermann is coming along very well. But if anyone gets injured then we are in trouble. And if we want more pass rushers, they are still a few years out.

Sid had limited plays, so it's hard to be for sure. Biermann is coming along very well. But if anyone gets injured then we are in trouble. And if we want more pass rushers, they are still a few years out.

Sid going into year two is in the same situation as Biermann was going into year two, so I expect him to have a similar jump is production this year. He is nearly 270 and runs under a 4.6, and is high character/hard worker or else TD wouldn't have drafted him. When you put that together with our quality DLine coaching, I think he is in for a Bierman-like jump in production this year. Especially with the improved coverage and superior interior rush.

Sid going into year two is in the same situation as Biermann was going into year two, so I expect him to have a similar jump is production this year. He is nearly 270 and runs under a 4.6, and is high character/hard worker or else TD wouldn't have drafted him. When you put that together with our quality DLine coaching, I think he is in for a Bierman-like jump in production this year. Especially with the improved coverage and superior interior rush.

Well of course Sid can make the same jump. I'm not as concerned about this year (short of injury) but 2011 and beyond. We have 3 good pass rushers, with two being quite young and an aging Abe. If Abe is gone next year, I don't think Davis or Anderson can have the same impact. It will really limit our rotation if we continue to ignore the position.

Well of course Sid can make the same jump. I'm not as concerned about this year (short of injury) but 2011 and beyond. We have 3 good pass rushers, with two being quite young and an aging Abe. If Abe is gone next year, I don't think Davis or Anderson can have the same impact. It will really limit our rotation if we continue to ignore the position.

Next year Sid and Biermann will be in their 3rd and 4th seasons. Abe will still be a decent player at least next year if we hold onto him. If we don't, we can find a solid 3rd DE in FA, and we will probably draft a DE pretty early in next year's draft. That's 3 good DEs, 3 good DTs and one or two servicable tpye DEs (Davis).

Edited by yesmann

All along sensible fans were saying "why draft a DE when they are hardly ever impact players in year one, we already have two DEs further along the learning curve, better interior rush will help," etc etc. So foor all of the fans wanting a DE, what do you think about this draft? TD clearly feels we are solid at DE.

I definitely wanted a DE, but not just any DE, a 1st round DE. I wanted Morgan or Graham, and I also liked Everson Griffen but clearly his character/work ethic is not what I was led to believe it was.

Anyways, I didn't just want to draft a DE in the 3rd round just because we needed one. I didn't think we would draft a DE if we didn't pick one up in the 1st, and that was exactly what happened. And honestly I'm glad it happened that way. Not necessarily that we didn't end up with Morgan or Graham, but that we didn't just pick a DE like Griffen, Lane, Hardy, etc. just because we needed one. This was not a good DE class, so I was perfectly happy passing on all those DE's that I didn't want on our roster throughout the rest of the draft.

That leads me to my disagreement with your last sentence. "TD clearly feels we are solid at DE." I don't think you can make that assumption at all. Yes, he didn't draft one this year. But he talked all along about how he wanted to improve our pass rush. Do you think we would have passed on Morgan or Graham if they had fallen to us? I don't think we would have, but that's just me. Even if we had, just because we avoided drafting DE's that we didn't have high on our board (if they were even on our board at all in the case of Dunlap and Hardy) doesn't mean that TD is satisfied with our DE's. I like Biermann and I like Sidbury, but they haven't proven much yet. Biermann will have a chance to emerge and Sidbury will be able to build on his rookie season that started out slow, and I'm happy for that, but I don't think that passing on DE's we didn't like in a sub-par DE class means that TD is happy with our DE's. It just means he didn't see a potential upgrade in the 3rd or 4th over what we have in Biermann and Sidbury, and I agree completely with that.

they are at home feeling like idiots...I had been saying it all along.

simple logic tells you that we already drafted 2 DEs. If we have the same guys coming back, why draft another guy to set the process back a couple years.

I will say it again.....SACKS ARE A FUNCTION OF GREAT TEAM DEFENSE. Unless you have a remarkable pass rusher who comes along about once every 5 years. We are fine at DE. with this draft and free agency we are as close as the 98 team that went to the big dance. We have the DLine, we have the linbackers and we have the DBs to get it done. I am certain that we will improve to top 10 or 12 overall in defense.

I didn't pick any of the players that TD picked, except weatherspoon. I did pick those positions though.

We are gonna have an infusion of talent that teams are just not gonna be ready for!!!!

Get ready falcon fans!!!! here it comes!!!!!

I said that we wouldn't draft a DE all offseason. In Kroy and Sid I trust. Also, with the addition of Peters, who is a pass-rushing DT, our pass-rush got a lot better. Also, we have quite the good OLB who can blitz for us. The name is Spoon. Sean Weatherspoon.

I'm sure TD wanted one of the top two DEs. Once they were gone he probably went to plan B.

Smitty has begged for a pass rush from the LDE position since he came here. Last year he saw his five DEs rack up a whopping 13 sacks and plummet his defense to 26th in the league in sacks. Conclusion: We went backwards.

I think it was a good draft but I still think we need two veteran bigs. DE and OT to solidify our roster.

Help me out here what makes everybody think we did get the player we have always want. We have paid him the most attention "TD" is on record for saying that this is the guy they have always wanted. He has even mention that they did not target Graham prior to the draft. Not to mention he has not in three years targeted a "elite" talent DE thru FA or draft. Where is the delusion coming from? Is it because of the "draft experts" or consensus favorite position. In fact we didn't scout any "elite" talent DE until three weeks prior to the draft.

I'm not a mind reader and I don't have a crystal ball only thing I can do is go by what the guy said and what he actually done and I haven't seen any evident to think the guy deviated from his plan. We ended the season with 4 major holes: OLB, CB, Oline depth and Dline depth (pass rush). Our first off season addition was CB, our first picks addressed everything else (OLB, DT, OG/C & OC/G). What else is there to figure out, since the begin of the draft TD said he was concerned more about the pass rush up the middle versus the end position.

Can someone please help me with where you guys are getting your inside information other than speculating every jester someone makes as a sign that we didn't want this player or that player. Someone made a thread the other day that the fact that MS left the room that meant he was mad with a pick for god sake did any think maybe the man had to go take a piss! We scouted Peters so I have no doubt that he was high on our list as players we were looking at. I thought most of this "conspiracy theory" nonsense would have ended by now but see it will never until all players play their first full season and everyone can compare the performance of each play. We got the player we wanted!

I don't!