TD drafted best taget available

Hardyfalcon

TD even admitted it himself "they we're guys that we targeted that came off the board early," so what does TD do? He drafts his best target available because he can't trade down and worries his targets might get drafted because his "texting contacts" says they may take his player. I don't think teams tell other teams who they're gonna take. I'm for best player available even if its a quarterback. I like most of our picks but a couple of them are reaches. -_-

TD even admitted it himself "they we're guys that we targeted that came off the board early," so what does TD do? He drafts his best target available because he can't trade down and worries his targets might get drafted because his "texting contacts" says they may take his player. I don't think teams tell other teams who they're gonna take. I'm for best player available even if its a quarterback. I like most of our picks but a couple of them are reaches. -_-

I cant say much other than I disagree with you. Its pretty much pointless to take the best player on a position you dont need, when your aim is to fill needs through the draft.

Should we take the best player available we would either have to add pricy free agents or trade all the time to mend positions of need while hoping that key positions doesnt get injuries thus collapsing the house of cards. Only positive is that should the QB get injured, the selection you just made in the draft will turn out to be infinite wisdom.

Im leaning more towards BPAaNP over BPA.

Yeah.... maybe.

But they all have something in common!

Versatility, durability, swagger, and a perfect scheme fit.

Really all that matters,

Where they are drafted doesn't matter.... it's what the do on the field now they are part of a classy organization with Superbowl on the mind!

;)

I'm all for drafting best player available as position of need. Some people don't get it. Would I have loved Dez Bryants talent? Umm, yes. Did we need it more that Weatherspoon? No.

Exactly. Best player available (scheme fit and potential/trainability) at a position of need.

The only teams that draft best player available regardless of need are..

Teams that need everything, and are perennial bottom dwellers.

Or

Teams that don't need anything all that badly, like say the Colts, Pats.

Very few teams are in either position, so you rarely see a draft that way.

As the rounds progressed, I saw a lot of logic in what TD and our FO did in FA and the draft. We got fundamentally sound, smart football players who can all step in and contribute in some fashion right away. When you look at the picks individually, and looked at who was on the board at the time they were taken, you might make an argument for a different player in some cases. But even that is just an argument for arguments sake, because we won't know how these players are going to turn out for several years.

Except for spoon. That guys going to kill somebody.

The teams who have generally been competitive over the long haul tend to draft BPA regardless. People think that means that every player has a different grade. Within BPA there are values based on one need versus another. If two players are equal by a team's measuring system, they will undoubtedly take the one of greater need, but they don't just throw players at a hole and hope to plug it if that player isn't as good as someone at another position, with the exception of QB, of course. In the real world, a team with Tom Brady isn't going to take a QB #1, because that is a singular position on the field, unlike all the other positions. It's obvious when a team drafts solely on need because they leave blatantly superior talent on the board for a perceived 'hole' in the team.

It's seldom a successful practice...