Defensive Backs

kchanner

Well not really a depth chart but this is who we should and most likely will keep. We're gonna have 5 CBs and 4 Safeties.

CBs

1. Dunta Robinson

2. Chris Owens

3. Brent Grimes

4. Chevis Jackson

5. Dominique Franks

Strong Safety

1. William Moore

2. Erik Coleman

Free Safety

1. Thomas Decoud

2. Brian Williams

Brian Williams is the vet in the group and he can play both CB and Safety. Talent wise those are the best defensive backs who could make the roster.

I think a lot of people are clueless on Brian Williams. I believe if he's healthy he is the starting LCB. I've seen more and more beat writers saying this. I read an article in the AJC today that pretty much indicates this. I see it like this:

1. Dunta - starting RCB

2. Williams - starting LCB and emergency safety

3. Grimes - nickel back and back up RCB

4. Owens - dime back and back up LCB

5. Franks - 3-3-5 quarter back and punt returner

I think a lot of people are clueless on Brian Williams. I believe if he's healthy he is the starting LCB. I've seen more and more beat writers saying this. I read an article in the AJC today that pretty much indicates this. I see it like this:

1. Dunta - starting RCB

Yeah I agree, Brian Williams IMO is a great cornerback and I think he'll be on the other side of Robinson for sure. And every year Grimes impressed me more and more. I think our cornerback unit will improve the most if we get a little more pressure on the quarterback.

1. Dunta - starting RCB

I dont think bdub has the speed to start at lcb and tearing his knee to shreads won't help much.

Well not really a depth chart but this is who we should and most likely will keep. We're gonna have 5 CBs and 4 Safeties.

CBs

1. Dunta Robinson

2. Chris Owens - TC battle between Owens and Grimes

3. Brent Grimes

4. Chevis Jackson - TC battle between Jackson and Franks

5. Dominique Franks

Strong Safety

1. Erik Coleman - changed the 1-2 setup

2. William Moore

Free Safety

1. Thomas Decoud

2. Brian Williams - Fran Schillinger perhaps?

Brian Williams is the vet in the group and he can play both CB and Safety. Talent wise those are the best defensive backs who could make the roster.

Im still not sure Owens is better than Grimes and certainly this will be one of the TC battles to watch. I think Franks most likely will get the nod over Jackson based on return capability.

Williams is most likely out due to his age and the possibility of not getting back to 100% from his injury.

Other than that I pretty much agree on it ^^

1. Dunta - starting RCB

BUMP

this is the first time in a while that we have had too many above average players in our secondary...and people are arguing about discussing who should stay and who should go

That would be the entire concept of a message board ie. discuss and share oppinions.

That would be the entire concept of a message board ie. discuss and share oppinions.

What i was trying to say was that this is a good thing. It is better to "discuss" and "share our opinons" on whether or not chevis jackson will make the team, or where brian williams is going to fit into the rotation or even starting lineup. Im used to reading people "discuss" about whether or not chris houston should be starting, or if tye hill is the future.

What i was trying to say was that this is a good thing. It is better to "discuss" and "share our opinons" on whether or not chevis jackson will make the team, or where brian williams is going to fit into the rotation or even starting lineup. Im used to reading people "discuss" about whether or not chris houston should be starting, or if tye hill is the future.

Its great isnt it. I like the woundup to training camp, where everything is possible untill we actually see em play come preseason ;)

EDIT: Im sorry, I completely misread your post firs time around. Just disregard my initial reply.

this is the first time in a while that we have had too many above average players in our secondary...and people are arguing about who should stay and who should go

That's what I was thinking. This is the first time where I was high on EVERYONE in our secondary in a long time. They've all shown potential at the pro level, well except for franks but he may be a steal.

I feel like our biggest problem with the pass last year was stopping the #1 wr, and passes over the middle whether it was the te or whoever. With dunta robinson covering the #1 wr and brian williams coming back to play the inside next to sean weatherspoon i feel like our pass defense will be much more effective, making our pass rush also much better.

Randy Waters made this comment in today's NFL Draft Viewpoints section of the AJC Sports paper on page 5:

"...With Robinson and a presumably healthy Brian Williams at corner,..."

Randy Waters is no NFL football guru by any stretch but he's probably at Flowery Branch twice a week and he calls all of their preseason games.

There will be lots of interesting and heated message board discussions/battles when these guys start playing football. I don't necessarily agree with this but here's what I expect:

LCB - Williams vs Owens (Williams)

SS - Coleman vs Moore (Coleman)

WLB - Peterson vs Sean (Peterson)

LDE - Biermann vs Busterson (Lord God I hope it's Biermann)

NT - Jerry vs Peters (Jerry)

C - McClure vs Hawley (McClure)

LG - Blaylock vs Johnson (Johnson)

RT - Clabo vs Reynolds (Clabo)

2WR - Jenkins vs Douglas (Jenkins)

2RB - Snelling vs Norwood (Snelling)

K - Bryant vs a FA (FA)

I can't wait to see how it all pans out. Plus TD will probably make a late camp Foxworth/Williams type move. Hopefully at DE or OT or both. Please?

CBs

1. Dunta Robinson

2. Chris Owens

3. Brent Grimes

4. Chevis Jackson

5. Dominique Franks

Strong Safety

1. William Moore

2. Erik Coleman

Free Safety

1. Thomas Decoud

2. Brian Williams

Agree with everything, but I could see Grimes starting over Owens. You are dead on with Brian Williams. I could even see him playing alongside Decoud in some nickel situations.