We have gone from "a good young team", to "a good young team with quality depth"

gazoo

This 3rd draft of TDs was the icing on the cake that has completed the bulk of the rebuild. This year TD and Smitty were able to draft for quality depth as opposed to desperate position need.

We still need a piece or two and let's not forget Les Snead and Lionel Vital have done an OUTSTANDING job of finding players like Dominique Foxworth and Brian Williams after cuts in the previous years so we're not done yet.

1. Our new LB is ready to step in and start IMMEDIATELY. I can't wait to see Weatherspoon and Lofton lined up next to each other. Weatherspoon adds a dimension we did not have before which is a force on 3rd downs at WOLB by blitzing and coverage packages. We SUCKED on 3rd downs last year don't forget. Also, the importance of WOLB in the Tampa Cover 2, where a guy named Derrick Brooks manned that position for a decade. Our defense has sorely missed a playmaker at WOLB and now we have it. (I am not comparing the two players, just illustrating the importance of WOLB in the cover 2)

2. Our OL and DL got better and deeper. The trench players we selected in Peters and Johnson are ready to start producing at some level THIS YEAR. They have been in quality systems with quality coaches that have them NFL ready and our lines are better and deeper NOW. I LOVE the Corey Peters pick to add to our rotation.

3. Big, 5'11" CB Dominique Franks can return punts and kickoffs THIS YEAR, and he may work his way into DB or even NB eventually competeing for the #2 spot. We also drafted guys with sensational speed for special teams. Speedster and athletically gifted Shann Schillinger will be a standout on specials teams and will play teams THIS YEAR. Hawley can long snap.

4. Oh yeah, we also added a real veteran #1 CB which we did not have last year who fits our scheme perfectly. Houston did not fit our scheme, the difference between these two will be striking against passing offenses like NO.

This year we stocked the roster with scheme specific players that the coaches no longer have to figure a way to fit the scheme around as they did the last 2 seasons. Now, we have the depth to sustain injuries at far more positions than we had the last 2 years. In fact, this could be the deepest, most talented roster I've seen in years here. Many players can play 2 positions, something underrated by or fans but critical when you have injuries.

I'm friggen stoked to see this team come together this year. With this schedule we have, we could go all the way if we stay relatively healthy.

Guest mashburn

you know I also read a article on why the falcons picked who they did. and the best thing said was the falcons has NEVER been a team who was built up until TD and smith came in.

they are trully building this team for better and getting them ready for this year super bowl.

Yeah its great we have first round top 10 PICKS (Anderson) at depth ..too bad on any quality NFL team guys liek that would be cut .

Yes, because Anderson obviously looks like he has a long term future with this team. :rolleyes:

You're knocking the organization for not just cutting an 8th overall pick selected from the last regime?

Seriously, the difference between you and Vick75 is simply the tone.

Yes, because Anderson obviously looks like he has a long term future with this team. :rolleyes:

You're knocking the organization for not just cutting an 8th overall pick selected from the last regime?

agreed

He's just trying to find a way to wipe all the egg off his face after guarantying me that JA98 would be cut this offseason. Him and FFS70 have had their fragile belief systems shattered by us not drafting a DE. They are already attacking the Weatherspoon pick simply out of anger that we didn't get a DE.

no that is the truth we use first round picks for depth ..lol

They also got a younger faster Finneran in the fifth round.

Yeah, this kid might really become a good possession receiver for us. The scouting reports I've read say that he's an incredibly good, precise route runner too....

I think he has the physicality and strength to be a factor on quick fades and jump ball routes in the end zone too.

This 3rd draft of TDs was the icing on the cake that has completed the bulk of the rebuild. This year TD and Smitty were able to draft for quality depth as opposed to desperate position need.

We still need a piece or two and let's not forget Les Snead and Lionel Vital have done an OUTSTANDING job of finding players like Dominique Foxworth and Brian Williams after cuts in the previous years so we're not done yet.

1. Our new LB is ready to step in and start IMMEDIATELY. I can't wait to see Weatherspoon and Lofton lined up next to each other. Weatherspoon adds a dimension we did not have before which is a force on 3rd downs at WOLB by blitzing and coverage packages. We SUCKED on 3rd downs last year don't forget. Also, the importance of WOLB in the Tampa Cover 2, where a guy named Derrick Brooks manned that position for a decade. Our defense has sorely missed a playmaker at WOLB and now we have it. (I am not comparing the two players, just illustrating the importance of WOLB in the cover 2)

2. Our OL and DL got better and deeper. The trench players we selected in Peters and Johnson are ready to start producing at some level THIS YEAR. They have been in quality systems with quality coaches that have them NFL ready and our lines are better and deeper NOW. I LOVE the Corey Peters pick to add to our rotation.

3. Big, 5'11" CB Dominique Franks can return punts and kickoffs THIS YEAR, and he may work his way into DB or even NB eventually competeing for the #2 spot. We also drafted guys with sensational speed for special teams. Speedster and athletically gifted Shann Schillinger will be a standout on specials teams and will play teams THIS YEAR. Hawley can long snap.

4. Oh yeah, we also added a real veteran #1 CB which we did not have last year who fits our scheme perfectly. Houston did not fit our scheme, the difference between these two will be striking against passing offenses like NO.

This year we stocked the roster with scheme specific players that the coaches no longer have to figure a way to fit the scheme around as they did the last 2 seasons. Now, we have the depth to sustain injuries at far more positions than we had the last 2 years. In fact, this could be the deepest, most talented roster I've seen in years here. Many players can play 2 positions, something underrated by or fans but critical when you have injuries.

I'm friggen stoked to see this team come together this year. With this schedule we have, we could go all the way if we stay relatively healthy.

Good analysis! I think the theme with TD's drafts is he looks for players who can contribute...

In 2009, Jerry, Moore, Owens, Sidbury, Reynolds, Adkins and Walker all contributed.

From the 2010 draft I think...

Spoon will start at WLB

Peters will be in our DT rotation

Johnson will see time at left or right guard

Hawley could very well see time at the interior of our OL as well as a long snapper

Meier will get some catches this year

Franks will get a chance to compete with Weems as a returner and may see time as DB or NB

Shillinger will be a core special teams player

This Draft is significant in that TD and Smith have now completed the building phase, having

three drafts to get their kind of players (speed, urgency, etc...). Their jobs become a little

easier from here on out, where they only have to add players through the draft, that have either

retired or left through free agency. And that should happen at a very orderly pace over the next

five years, considering how young this team is.

Yeah its great we have first round top 10 PICKS (Anderson) at depth ..too bad on any quality NFL team guys liek that would be cut .

What are you even talking about? McKay drafted Anderson, not TD. As well as the fact that he is serviceable at 2 positions. He's not a pass rusher, unfortunately but he has value. He'll get his chance this training camp and if he doesn't work out, he'll be gone. It's an uncapped year so right now, his draft position doesn't matter.

Why don't you just go find another team? This is the best the Falcons have ever been and you still find something to whine about.

That or you just think it's funny to pretty much be a troll.

Good post Gaz.

I was thinking about our team when they were talking about how the Patriots constantly bring in young talent for depth and to develop it to replace older talent.

Good point Rounz. You notice next year Balock will be up for a contract year and we drafted a starting ready LG this year. McClure may retire next year and we brought in a center.

Its awesome to be in this positio to already stock young players in positions we think will be a near future need.

Well said Gazoo, +1 for your efforts. Some good points supported with logic and reason.

I'm pretty psyched about the depth we appear to have and (barring any rash of injuries like last season) we should be able to win our division and win games against anyone.

Good point Rounz. You notice next year Balock will be up for a contract year and we drafted a starting ready LG this year. McClure may retire next year and we brought in a center.

Its awesome to be in this positio to already stock young players in positions we think will be a near future need.

I think that's another good point.

Since this regime has been here, they've been mostly concerned with plugging holes and "hiding" positions.

Now I think this must be fun for them to be able to play with the future a little bit rather than just the present.