Now that I'm coming to grips with our draft...

thanat0s

Okay, I've almost moved into the acceptance stage of mourning the loss of Dez Bryant in the first round, so I will turn my attention to the state of the team for a moment.

The first thing I noticed from our draft was that virtually all of our picks have played alot of football. If you take a look at the number of games started, these guys spent alot of time on the field, so the experience level should be solid. We didn't take any workout warriors, which does please me. The bust rate on those types of players is off the scale, it seems. Had we taken a JPP, for instance, I would've needed therapy.

As I've said before I am a big believer in line play equating to championship football. Any time we add depth or potential along either of the lines, I'm happy about it. As for this player over that player, I don't pretend to be an expert on the kind of DL or OL the coaches need in their scheme, so I just defer to their judgment when it comes to taking Peters and Johnson over other players that might have been available at the time.

My favorite pick? Mike Johnson. The guy is a monster in size and intensity. IMO, had he been a straight up OT prospect, he might have been a 1st rounder. OG's tend to go lower as a rule, so I think we very well might have a player who is among the top names at his position in a few years. I actually wouldn't be surprised at all if he pushes for a starting job sooner rather than later.

The honorable mention for favorite pick is Dominique Franks. I don't know if he will pan out or not, especially with our glut at DB right now, but he is very versatile and athletic. He's also a 'tough guy' which I like. I like my DBs with attitude and he seems to have that, though he might be more suited to safety than CB eventually.

Least favorite pick? Joe Hawley. There is not doubt that we are going to need a Center very soon. I was actually hoping a replacement for McClure was going to be high on our draft board. I appreciate all the years of service Todd has put in, but we seriously needed to upgrade that position. It's the weakest link in our line, imo. Yes, Hawley is strong, but can he play? I think we would've been wiser to have taken Tennant, a long time starter and against much tougher competition. The Reunion with Matt could have been a big plus as well.

Now, as for our 1st round pick, I have to preface this by saying that I'm just going to ignore for a moment the circumstances that led to this pick, and give my opinion on him and what he can bring to the team. I'm not a big fan of drafting LBs in round one. I don't know why, exactly, but I just believe that it is a position, like RB, where similiar talent can be had in rounds 2 and beyond.

Having said that, it's easy to see why the team likes him. Just listening to his presser one can see that he's a smart guy who is very comfortable in the spotlight. I suppose when your rep is that you are very vocal, you had better be used to microphones in your face on a regular basis. I don't want to make comparisons, but I will say that vocal, even boastful defensive players are usually among my favorites. Ray Lewis is my favorite defender, just like Deion and LT used to be back in the day.

Of course, the thing that separates LT, Deion and Ray from Spoon is, they backed up the mouth with performance. If you look at his film, Spoon seems to be just what we need to cover that middle ground in the pass game. If what TD was saying is true, and this kid ran in the 4.5's for them, we might actually have an answer for everybody and their grandma converting 3rd downs against us like they did last year. I still have nightmares about the San Diego game and that was just preseason! If he can take that superior athletic ability, and the attitude and, as he said in his presser, work his way to greatness, then this pick will have been worth it. We desperately need someone on the edge who can cover, tackle and provide some pressure in blitz packages. His resume says that he does all three well. If he can become that player, we will be in great shape defensively for some years.

I think one thing that takes the 'edge' off this draft is that we are basically going into 2010 with 2 drafts. With Jerry and Moore both on the shelf the whole year, we never really got to see what we had in them. If they have used the time off wisely to learn the system and prepare themselves mentally and physically, the infusion of talent could pay big returns this year.

So, that's what I think at this point. See? I didn't bish about Dez Bryant once in this whole post, lol. :lol:

Good Post my man..

It will take me a lil more time to pass on on Dez then you but I like Spoon think he will be a decent pro not a pro bowler but he will get his name known around the league. Im like the kid from Alabama more and more think he will fit right in down the road on our oline .

Im just not thrilled with the draft dont think any of the players we selected will be pro bowlers.I also have a feeling our 3rd round pick Corey Peters will see limited playing time the first couple of years especially if Jerry is healthy and Babs is still on the team..

The first thing I noticed from our draft was that virtually all of our picks have played alot of football. If you take a look at the number of games started, these guys spent alot of time on the field, so the experience level should be solid. We didn't take any workout warriors, which does please me. The bust rate on those types of players is off the scale, it seems. Had we taken a JPP, for instance, I would've needed therapy.

I noticed this as well and I think it's a good point. There is no substitute for football experience and I'd rather fail with someone who didn't have the talent to compete at the NFL level versus someone who didn't have the desire or smarts to compete at the NFL level.

As I've said before I am a big believer in line play equating to championship football. Any time we add depth or potential along either of the lines, I'm happy about it. As for this player over that player, I don't pretend to be an expert on the kind of DL or OL the coaches need in their scheme, so I just defer to their judgment when it comes to taking Peters and Johnson over other players that might have been available at the time.

...then?

Least favorite pick? Joe Hawley. There is not doubt that we are going to need a Center very soon. I was actually hoping a replacement for McClure was going to be high on our draft board. I appreciate all the years of service Todd has put in, but we seriously needed to upgrade that position. It's the weakest link in our line, imo. Yes, Hawley is strong, but can he play? I think we would've been wiser to have taken Tennant, a long time starter and against much tougher competition. The Reunion with Matt could have been a big plus as well.

I saw this as a contradiction

Now, as for our 1st round pick, I have to preface this by saying that I'm just going to ignore for a moment the circumstances that led to this pick, and give my opinion on him and what he can bring to the team. I'm not a big fan of drafting LBs in round one. I don't know why, exactly, but I just believe that it is a position, like RB, where similiar talent can be had in rounds 2 and beyond.

Having said that, it's easy to see why the team likes him. Just listening to his presser one can see that he's a smart guy who is very comfortable in the spotlight. I suppose when your rep is that you are very vocal, you had better be used to microphones in your face on a regular basis. I don't want to make comparisons, but I will say that vocal, even boastful defensive players are usually among my favorites. Ray Lewis is my favorite defender, just like Deion and LT used to be back in the day.

Of course, the thing that separates LT, Deion and Ray from Spoon is, they backed up the mouth with performance. If you look at his film, Spoon seems to be just what we need to cover that middle ground in the pass game. If what TD was saying is true, and this kid ran in the 4.5's for them, we might actually have an answer for everybody and their grandma converting 3rd downs against us like they did last year. I still have nightmares about the San Diego game and that was just preseason! If he can take that superior athletic ability, and the attitude and, as he said in his presser, work his way to greatness, then this pick will have been worth it. We desperately need someone on the edge who can cover, tackle and provide some pressure in blitz packages. His resume says that he does all three well. If he can become that player, we will be in great shape defensively for some years.

I think one thing that takes the 'edge' off this draft is that we are basically going into 2010 with 2 drafts. With Jerry and Moore both on the shelf the whole year, we never really got to see what we had in them. If they have used the time off wisely to learn the system and prepare themselves mentally and physically, the infusion of talent could pay big returns this year.

So, that's what I think at this point. See? I didn't bish about Dez Bryant once in this whole post, lol. :lol:

What I will say is that my hope was that we drafted Spoon. I think we need his type of 'enthusiasm' on our defense. We simply don't have an identity on that side of the ball. Are LB's the RB's of defense? You can make that argument, however, when you hit on one - it makes a huge difference. I'm expecting big things from Spoon.

That said...I agree that we are not valuing developing/acquiring enough weapons for Matt Ryan to the extent we should be. That's a concern. Bryant would have gone a long way toward doing that. But he doesn't sound like a Dimitroff/Smith type of player.

i would have loved to have bryant too but spoon is going to be a great one for us. it was just nice to know that all the talent left on the board at that time, we didnt make a headscratching pick. bryant, spoon, bulaga, and gresham were my bpa at that time. we couldnt have went wrong.

also about jpp, i think ny was the best place he could go, to learn behind some great players in osi, tuck and kiwanuka. along with his high bust potential is a high ceiling.

Dez would have been a nice pickup for us. But the way some of the fans act because we didn't get him is funny. Comparing Dez to Randy Moss, Randy freakin Moss :lol::lol:

Please read THIS article and educate yourself.

Here is the most important part of the article

"The bottom line when you're drafting someone, what it always comes down to is a player's desire to play the game,'' said Green, the former Vikings and Cardinals head coach who is now leading the UFL's Sacramento franchise. "I felt that year that Randy really wanted to play and wanted to prove he's the best, and I get the same impression from Dez.

If you watched the 2008 bowl game against Oregon you would know that. Dez sprained his ankle and was limping yet came back and played in the same game. No way he was gonna sit out his bowl game with an injury. That shows the heart and the desire to play that he has. I think it's extremely foolish for anyone to question his work ethic and desire to play, it's actually laughable because they know nothing about him. They just go with what the media paints him out to be.

If you watched the 2008 bowl game against Oregon you would know that. Dez sprained his ankle and was limping yet came back and played in the same game. No way he was gonna sit out his bowl game with an injury. That shows the heart and the desire to play that he has. I think it's extremely foolish for anyone to question his work ethic and desire to play, it's actually laughable because they know nothing about him. They just go with what the media paints him out to be.

i dont see character flaws with dez bryant. maybe thats because im not a perfect human like some of the posters here. he's gonna be a stud

Ok, he felt that year Randy Moss really wanted to play, what about the plays he took off in Minnesota, the SEASONS he took off in Oakland, and the plays he CONTINUES to take off in NE? I love Randy Moss, the guy is a great talent, but if he would've put in the extra work and kept his head completely in football, the guy would've been the greatest football player to play the game. Now he'll be hard-pressed to even sniff the Lombardi trophy again. Now, I'm not going to question Dez Bryant and his ability/work-ethic/desire, but comparing him to Moss to paint those qualities is like saying you should aspire to be an athlete like Rosie O' Donnel.

OK. SI is asking if he is the next Randy Moss because he is a top talent that will slip in the draft because of some issues. Not because he has Randy Moss talent. Randy is a once in a decade player. Dez is a bad boy. He works out sometimes in Miami with some Ex Canes and I saw him a lot over the summer. He is tougher than Randy. Seems like he loves the game of football. Randy only plays when he wants to. Dez isn't as quick or as fast as Randy. He isn't anywhere close to having Moss speed. Randy is probably the most physically gifted WR that has ever played. If he had the work ethic like Jerry Rice he could have been the best WR ever. Dez will be a Pro Bowl reciever, maybe even a Hall of Famer. Randy is a Hall of Famer.

Ok, he felt that year Randy Moss really wanted to play, what about the plays he took off in Minnesota, the SEASONS he took off in Oakland, and the plays he CONTINUES to take off in NE? I love Randy Moss, the guy is a great talent, but if he would've put in the extra work and kept his head completely in football, the guy would've been the greatest football player to play the game. Now he'll be hard-pressed to even sniff the Lombardi trophy again. Now, I'm not going to question Dez Bryant and his ability/work-ethic/desire, but comparing him to Moss to paint those qualities is like saying you should aspire to be an athlete like Rosie O' Donnel.

Dez can't be the next Randy Moss. Because he doesn't have the God given talent that Randy has. Randy is still a Hall of Fame player, even though he didn't give his all.

Are we talking about the same Dez Bryant?

Yes we are. Dez isn't as fast or as quick as Randy. He struggles catching the ball. Randy has always had great hands. Dez runs a 4.49 to 4.52 40. Randy ran, in his prime, a low 4.3. Randy is crazy fast with pads on like Cris Johnson and CJ Spiller are. Randy, in his prime, was impossible to cover. The man out ran double coverage. I mean seriously who does stuff like that.

No, he couldn't possibly have worked hard by himself to get him where he's at. No way.

Like I said Dez is a bad boy. I have worked out with him before alone with other ex canes. The guy is sick and he loves football. If Randy had Dez work ethic he would be the greatest receiver ever.

Yes we are. Dez isn't as fast or as quick as Randy. He struggles catching the ball. Randy has always had great hands. Dez runs a 4.49 to 4.52 40. Randy ran, in his prime, a low 4.3. Randy is crazy fast with pads on like Cris Johnson and CJ Spiller are. Randy, in his prime, was impossible to cover. The man out ran double coverage. I mean seriously who does stuff like that.

Im with you on Dez might not be the prospect that Randy was but he isnt that far off..Dez would have been a easy top 10 pick outside what happen his senior year ..He is great at adjusting to the football when ball is in the air and has great speed.

but Dez got talent and will be a elite wr in no time..

Im with you on Dez might not be the prospect that Randy was but he isnt that far off..Dez would have been a easy top 10 pick outside what happen his senior year ..He is great at adjusting to the football when ball is in the air and has great speed.

but Dez got talent and will be a elite wr in no time..

That's what I'm trying to tell these people. Dez might be a Hall of Famer. I even said he will be a Pro Bowl WR. He will be an elite receiver in this game.

lol @ saying Randy Moss is a Hall of Famer and that Dez can MAYBE be a Hall of Famer so we shouldn't draft him. Um... if we had the chance at any player that could possibly be a hall of famer, wouldn't you draft him??

Dez might not be as talented as Randy Moss but they both have similar stories and Dez still has elite talent. With his desire to play the game, I see him developing into one of the best WR's in the league.

Dez can't be the next Randy Moss. Because he doesn't have the God given talent that Randy has. Randy is still a Hall of Fame player, even though he didn't give his all.

don't get me wrong, Randy Moss is a once in a lifetime type of physical freak in the WR position, those types don't come along often, there probably never will be another Moss, like there will probably never be a QB that could scramble like Vick. I don't see Dez as another Moss. and I could see Moss in the HOF without giving it his all, I was just stating, if we are going to say Dez Bryant is a hard-worker and what not, then Randy Moss is the last person to use as an example of what Dez Bryant represents.

lol @ saying Randy Moss is a Hall of Famer and that Dez can MAYBE be a Hall of Famer so we shouldn't draft him. Um... if we had the chance at any player that could possibly be a hall of famer, wouldn't you draft him??

Dez might not be as talented as Randy Moss but they both have similar stories and Dez still has elite talent. With his desire to play the game, I see him developing into one of the best WR's in the league.

I never said we shouldn't draft him. I even said he would have been a great pick up for us. I just knew TD wouldn't draft him. Even the article you suggested me to read said Randy is a Hall of Famer. Dez will be a great WR.

don't get me wrong, Randy Moss is a once in a lifetime type of physical freak in the WR position, those types don't come along often, there probably never will be another Moss, like there will probably never be a QB that could scramble like Vick. I don't see Dez as another Moss. and I could see Moss in the HOF without giving it his all, I was just stating, if we are going to say Dez Bryant is a hard-worker and what not, then Randy Moss is the last person to use as an example of what Dez Bryant represents.

True I see what you mean. Dez works harder than Randy. Just imagine what Randy could have did if he actually had a work ethic. He should be the best receiver ever. But Dez will be a great one for the cowboys.