Perspective on Draft Prospects

pzummo

I keep seeing everybody harp on what these other websites say about particular prospects and who was a reach and who was a steal. People love quoting mock drafts and how the consensus amongst those draft "scouts" has one player ranked higher than others. I'm here to prove to everybody that listening to these reporting "scouts" is a complete waste of time, and allowing them to affect your opinion about draft selections is an even bigger waste of energy. So, in order to prove my point, I took the "highest rated" mock draft expert along with a website often quote as "evidence" so I could prove my point.

Mel Kiper Mock Draft

Jimmy Clausen was his #4 ranked player on his board. He was picked 48th overall.

Terrence Cody was his #28 ranked player on his board. He was picked 57th overall.

Pro Football Weekly

Jimmy Clausen was the #12 ranked player on their board. He was picked 48th overall.

Colt McCoy was the #37 ranked player on their board. He was picked 85th overall.

One thing ALL mock drafts had in common, absolutely no Tebow in ANY of those first round mocks, with most saying he was going between rounds 3-4. In closing, both of these "expert" drafters would've GROSSLY over-reached on the players noted above. Many even had Colt McCoy going in the first round, and he went 85th overall.

In closing, what makes any of these "experts" reputable enough to judge whether or not a prospect is a reach when they so grossly over and underrate prospects on their own board?