Bear Woods

Robb4242

Troy’s Bear Woods gets his top choice

By Drew Champlin

Published: April 24, 2010

Bear Woods didn’t get drafted in the 2010 NFL Draft, but he got his No. 1 pick.

Moments after the draft concluded, the former Troy linebacker, an all-conference pick in 2008 and 2009, signed a priority free agent deal with the Atlanta Falcons.

There was no waiting around after the draft, and terms were reached almost immediately.

Atlanta’s last pick was early in the sixth round at pick No. 171.

“Up until the Draft, we had it planned out that Atlanta was the No. 1 place for me to go and the place I could fit in the best if I didn’t get drafted,” Woods said. “Five minutes after they made their last pick, they called me up and told me that if I didn’t get drafted, they wanted to sign me. There

was no sense in waiting around for other teams because this was the best fit for me.”

Woods didn’t mind not getting drafted. He was hoping a team stacked with linebackers wouldn’t pick him, and his hopes came true.

“The main word is relief,” Woods said. “Now, I’m just ready to go. I’m not letting not getting drafted get to me, because this is the role I’m used to.

The underdog role is right where I’m comfortable.

“I’m ready to go represent Troy and represent my family.”

Woods was a walk-on from MacClenny, Fla., in 2005, who turned into an all-conference player and one of the league’s top players by the time he

graduated.

article