Should Falcons package picks into 2nd round to Grab Everson Griffen?

I would think since its been stated that Falcons did like Brandon Graham a lot that the Falcons still would like to take a Defensive End. I was not crazy about taking Everson Griffen in the 1st round because to me he is not a consistent enough player to be worthy of first round. However, Griffen has shown enough ability, upside and his size/speed and potential do warrant a second round pick - I think Ray Hamilton/BVG/Smitty could coach this guy up - we did scout Griffen heavily so I think Falcons have interest.

The problem is the trade value chart - we really don't have enough w/o trading too much to move up for him - which I don't want to do. I think the most I would give up to move up would be #3-83(175pts) and #4-117(60pts). That totals 235pts which equates to moving up only 12 picks in the 3rd to #3-71 - that most likely won't get us anywhere close to Everson Griffen. Having said that, it looks like most trades yesterday did not entail teams paying the full "trade-value chart" to move up.

I would guess if a team wanted to move down enough maybe Falcons could jump up to the tail of the 2nd round - would definitely want to get ahead of New Orleans at #64....Maybe Falcons could target picks #55-#63.....

Of course there is a very real chance Griffen goes early - maybe in 1st half of 2nd round - if so, we got no shot.....

What say You?

I think Griffen will go in the mid of the 2nd especially to the Seahawks and you may have some 3-4 teams that might like his ability to drop in coverage since he did that in college. I think it might take some real muscle to move up and take anyone in the 2nd that has 1st round talent.

Hes gonna be a buc

I can see that happening 4 real.

If we do want to take Griffen we would have to move up pretty high, and the only way we could do that is by packaging a player with the picks so who knows. There are still a lot of other first round prospects that fell because of that crazy first round so even if we dont get Griffen we could still get someone good.

Edited by DirtyBirdSupabowl

Believe it or not but he would be the guy we would taget if we do trade into the 2nd round.

But yea.. It depends on how much it will cost us... Like TD said.. It would cost us a pick this year and next year...

I would not trade a 1st round pick next year (not a 2nd either) but think about it... If Everson Griffen returned to school... Dude would have most likely been a top 20 pick..

Update

link

Got a little draft tip for you all. It doesn't like the Falcons are going to make a move to get into the second round tonight.

Yes. We should.

We are primed for a Superbowl run. We're not a team like Detroit and Cleveland that has needed to add many bodies of talent to their team.

We have a lot of talent as it is. We need someone that can crack the lineup NOW and help us win a Superbowl NOW.

Windows of opportunity don't stay open forever. We need to move on Price or Griffen, in my opinion.

If Griffen was originally on our board as an option at 19, then it would make some sense (not a whole lot though) to trade next year's first and get back to early 2nd.

We also worked out Wootton, so he could possibly be a less expensive option in the mid to late 2nd range.

In no way would I ever consider trading away a next years First Round Pick.

If we lost a key position to a career ending injury this year we would be Royally Skewed.

Steady the Course of Action.

I think the Falcons have plenty of average DEs. I was only in favor of them going DE if they were going to get one of the top 5. Hughes was pretty much the end of the DE bandwagon for me. Time to concentrate on other positions.

^^^^^ That'll just about do it for me ^^^^^

DE is likely on the "to do" list for next year.

I think the Falcons have plenty of average DEs. I was only in favor of them going DE if they were going to get one of the top 5. Hughes was pretty much the end of the DE bandwagon for me. Time to concentrate on other positions.

That is kind of how I feel. We should only be looking at a DE who we feel could take his seat at the top of the depth chart in a year or two. No depth guys- we have those. If there's a guy like that left for Dimitroff/Smith, then by all means move aggressively to get him- but not at the expense of high picks next year (1st or 2nd rounders), so that would mean that someone would have to fall quite a bit, which is still a possibility.

I think he might possibly be their in the third.

I would think since its been stated that Falcons did like Brandon Graham a lot that the Falcons still would like to take a Defensive End. I was not crazy about taking Everson Griffen in the 1st round because to me he is not a consistent enough player to be worthy of first round. However, Griffen has shown enough ability, upside and his size/speed and potential do warrant a second round pick - I think Ray Hamilton/BVG/Smitty could coach this guy up - we did scout Griffen heavily so I think Falcons have interest.

The problem is the trade value chart - we really don't have enough w/o trading too much to move up for him - which I don't want to do. I think the most I would give up to move up would be #3-83(175pts) and #4-117(60pts). That totals 235pts which equates to moving up only 12 picks in the 3rd to #3-71 - that most likely won't get us anywhere close to Everson Griffen. Having said that, it looks like most trades yesterday did not entail teams paying the full "trade-value chart" to move up.

I would guess if a team wanted to move down enough maybe Falcons could jump up to the tail of the 2nd round - would definitely want to get ahead of New Orleans at #64....Maybe Falcons could target picks #55-#63.....

Of course there is a very real chance Griffen goes early - maybe in 1st half of 2nd round - if so, we got no shot.....

What say You?