Which LB is the odd man out in the starting lineup

yesmann

63 members have voted

1. 1. Which LB will not be a starter?

It needs to be Nicholas. Mike Pete was a big playmaker for us at times last season, which is something Nic just isn't (a playmaker). He's a solid player but there's nothing about his game in which he stands out as being particularly good in...sure, Pete hurt us a little in coverage last year but Weatherspoon's presence and versatility will make up for it. And the young defense needs the energy and enthusiasm Pete brings as a leader.

I guess we are just going to see what happens when the season starts but I have to disagree with your assessment of NIcholas.

Again you are looking for WOW stats, like INT and what not, but HOw Come Nicholas led all of our LB in sacks and he didnt even play on passing downs hmmmmm...... HOw can nicholas was in on Nickel situations along with Wire towards the end of the season hmmmmm..... I really think you are not apprecaiting the impact Nicholas had on our running game, I encourage you to go back and watch the games and focus on Nicholas.

I wasn't looking at any stats, actually. I was recalling what I saw during the season. And I'm telling you, nichols was an absolute ghost in multiple games that he played in.

I recall the sacks. But I also recall the tipped balls and batted down passes in the zone by peterson.

I'm just saying, I doubt he'll be a starter. Trust me, nothing would make me happier than to see nichols kick his game up to the next level and secure the future of our lbing corps at-

spoon-lofton-nichols

But as long as peterson is fit enough to play, I don't see it happening. Not unless he makes large strides in the offseason/training camp.

Good post. Nicholas is very underrated on this board. He definitely was our best coverage LBer, and he's also quite good against the run. As Spoon progresses in coverage, I think the two Nickel LBers will probably be Nicholas and Spoon.

Nicholas had 0 pdefs and 0 ints. How was he our best coverage LBer? I know, I know, stats don't tell the whole story. But I still think Nicholas sits and Peterson slides over.

I wasn't looking at any stats, actually. I was recalling what I saw during the season. And I'm telling you, nichols was an absolute ghost in multiple games that he played in.

I recall the sacks. But I also recall the tipped balls and batted down passes in the zone by peterson.

I'm just saying, I doubt he'll be a starter. Trust me, nothing would make me happier than to see nichols kick his game up to the next level and secure the future of our lbing corps at-

spoon-lofton-nichols

But as long as peterson is fit enough to play, I don't see it happening. Not unless he makes large strides in the offseason/training camp.

I really think that MIke P understands why he was bought in when we signed him as a stop gap until we drafted or groomed his replacement. Nicholas was given an opportunity to start to see if he could prove to be a starter, which he did IMO and was rewarded with an increase in playing time on Nickel downs when Peterson could get the job down and Lofton was struggling to recognize coverages.

It needs to be Nicholas. Mike Pete was a big playmaker for us at times last season, which is something Nic just isn't (a playmaker). He's a solid player but there's nothing about his game in which he stands out as being particularly good in...sure, Pete hurt us a little in coverage last year but Weatherspoon's presence and versatility will make up for it. And the young defense needs the energy and enthusiasm Pete brings as a leader.

Obviously Peterson made more big plays than Nicholas last year, because he played WLB. SLB is not the flashy position, they do more of the dirt that doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. Peterson at SLB would have made less big plays than he did. Now that Spoon is the big play WLB, we have to ask who is better suited to play SLB. Nicholas is faster, better in coverage and is a better blitzer. And don't forget that Pete is going to be a year older, meaning that what we got from him in the second half of last season might be all he has left.

Nicholas had 0 pdefs and 0 ints. How was he our best coverage LBer? I know, I know, stats don't tell the whole story. But I still think Nicholas sits and Peterson slides over.

Maybe not playing on most passing could have a little something to do with it

Stats stats stats. If you look at the games then you see Peterson getting toasted frequently, while you don't see the same with Nicholas. Those stats probably mean Peterson was targeted a lot more in coverage.

spoon-lofton-nichols

Pete played well EARLY in the season. He was not good at all as the season went along. Nicholas is not a big play guy, but SLB is not the position where you're going to be in position to make a lot of stat plays.

I'm just asking how someone can make the claim that Nicholas was our best coverage lineabacker when he had 0 pdefs and 0 ints.

He seemed to be better with playing his man assignments to prevent passes from going to his man, therefore causing the QB to go to another read.

Two points

- Peterson had more opportunities to accumulate stats against the pass because he was challenged more. Nicholas' coverage in zone was generally sound and so he wasn't thrown at IMO.

- Nicholas played better as we went on, and is on the upslope of his career. Peterson played worst as we went on, and is on the downslope of his career - so I would imagine that if these trends continue then Nicholas will get the nod. Peterson would also be an excellent 4th backer as a primary reserve, as he could realistically know all the assignments for all three positions as he has played in the Smitty scheme for so long.

Having 4 good LBs and then a couple of special teamers in Wire/Adkins sounds like a good plan to me.

Two points

- Peterson had more opportunities to accumulate stats against the pass because he was challenged more. Nicholas' coverage in zone was generally sound and so he wasn't thrown at IMO.

- Nicholas played better as we went on, and is on the upslope of his career. Peterson played worst as we went on, and is on the downslope of his career - so I would imagine that if these trends continue then Nicholas will get the nod. Peterson would also be an excellent 4th backer as a primary reserve, as he could realistically know all the assignments for all three positions as he has played in the Smitty scheme for so long.

Having 4 good LBs and then a couple of special teamers in Wire/Adkins sounds like a good plan to me.

I agree. Excellent post.

Because he watched the games and assessed the coverage instead of simply looking at the stat sheet.

Yeah, I watched the games too.

You're the one making the claim that Nicholas (0 ints, 0 pdefs) was our best coverage linebacker as opposed to Peterson (8 pdefs, 1 Int - tied for 7th in the leagure out of all linebackers.)

I realize that Peterson started off fast and tailed off. I realize the responsibilities of strong side versus weak side. I realize that Peterson is getting old and is not the future. But I don't get how you are saying that Nicholas was our best coverage linebacker.

Is he really Nicholas island where no one can complate a pass on him? biggrin.gif

Yeah, I watched the games too.

You're the one making the claim that Nicholas (0 ints, 0 pdefs) was our best coverage linebacker as opposed to Peterson (8 pdefs, 1 Int - tied for 7th in the leagure out of all linebackers.)

I realize that Peterson started off fast and tailed off. I realize the responsibilities of strong side versus weak side. I realize that Peterson is getting old and is not the future. But I don't get how you are saying that Nicholas was our best coverage linebacker.

Is he really Nicholas island where no one can complate a pass on him? biggrin.gif

He was just because you get 1 pick but give up passes and TD doesnt equate to good in coverage. Peterson fell off after 4 games of a 16 game season, part of the reason also has to do with the pass rush, but Peterson age was his biggest weakness. I am not saying that the LB coverage was that good, because it wasnt, but I do think that overall based on a 16 game season the Nicholas was the most consistent.

He was just because you get 1 pick but give up passes and TD doesnt equate to good in coverage. Peterson fell off after 4 games of a 16 game season, part of the reason also has to do with the pass rush, but Peterson age was his biggest weakness. I am not saying that the LB coverage was that good, because it wasnt, but I do think that overall based on a 16 game season the Nicholas was the most consistent.

I'm confident that Smitty will put the best combination out there for any given situation and I want Nicholas to do well because he is the future.

You have to admit that Nicholas Island was kinda funny, though. biggrin.gif

Obviously Peterson made more big plays than Nicholas last year, because he played WLB. SLB is not the flashy position, they do more of the dirt that doesn't always show up on the stat sheet. Peterson at SLB would have made less big plays than he did. Now that Spoon is the big play WLB, we have to ask who is better suited to play SLB. Nicholas is faster, better in coverage and is a better blitzer. And don't forget that Pete is going to be a year older, meaning that what we got from him in the second half of last season might be all he has left.

Yeah I'm not at all down on Nicholas, and I'm not 100% locked in on Pete still having as much value as I think he does. I just think considering Pete's role as one of our leaders, he deserves to be in there.

Honestly I think it's going to end up being a rotation in the LB core. Lofton, Spoon, and Pete are all very versatile LBs. I think between the 3 of them and Nicholas, we will see some rotating. They'll all get plenty of playing time.