There are no glaring weaknesses on starting defensive unit

yesmann

We also ranked 28th against the pass. Dont think a DE was going to help us cover a WR, TE, or a RB.

No but I like what TD said and I'm just saying something close to it.

"The best shutdown corner in the universe can't cover a journeyman WR for 15 seconds."

The biggest question mark is Jerry. It's hard to know what he is going to be after a devastating knee injury likes that.

Jerries health is a concern. I think we'll probably pick up another DT in this draft just for insurance. We need him healthy though, no doubt.

No but I like what TD said and I'm just saying something close to it.

"The best shutdown corner in the universe can't cover a journeyman WR for 15 seconds."

And thats true but its not like Kroy and Abe cant get pressure. Its mot like we dont have guys that can get pressure because we do and when you have guys that can get pressure and its not happening as much as it should you have to look at other things to find out the answer.

Which we did with the signing of Robinson, now Spoon. I hope we trade into the 2nd to get a very good DT and then be done with the Defensive side of the ball for the most part.

And thats true but its not like Kroy and Abe cant get pressure. Its mot like we dont have guys that can get pressure because we do and when you have guys that can get pressure and its not happening as much as it should you have to look at other things to find out the answer.

Which we did with the signing of Robinson, now Spoon. I hope we trade into the 2nd to get a very good DT and then be done with the Defensive side of the ball for the most part.

Oh I think the outside pressure last season was OK (not great) but there was no push up the middle.

A penetrating DT would help a lot since it would prevent the QB from stepping up and gaining time.

I'm hoping Jerry can do that.

I also think Weatherspoon will help a lot (if he lives up to expectations) in that many of those 3rd and long conversions last season were to TEs and RBs and if he can pass cover very well it will improve the pass defense.

I'm just not sure that Jerry, Robinson , and Weatherspoon can make up for the just average outside rush.

Ok...well that's a good theory, but you are making assumptions about player improvement. Bierman might turn into a start this year, but we all thought he was ready to be a start after the Miami game last year. He had 3 sacks the rest of the year, with lots of playing time. We just really don't know what Bierman and Sidbury are going to do this year, but I hope that everyone who is predicting a leap in production from that group is right.

I understand what you're saying, but if course if we took an end we'd be making an assumption that he'd give us the 10-12 sacks that we needed. And history isn't too kind to first round DE's. There are other ways of improving the pass rush, and we got a big head start on that when we signed Dunta.

With him patrolling the backfield, BVG will be able to blitz a lot more. Sending the house every now and then. I don't know, but BVG is just too aggressive to just sit back in zones. We finished with a team total of 28 sacks, not good. However, all we need is to pick up another 12 to add to that total to probably put us in the top 5. We can get to that with a team effort instead of relying on just one guy.

Our pass rush was pretty bad last year. I think we could stand to do a little more to address this area.

Soooo... yeah. That's still a glaring weakness for me until proven otherwise. Key word being "proven"... not "well Peria Jerry is back" (as if he was all world in his game and a half of his professional career. I hope he excels, but alot of us were on Peterson's nuts at the beginning of the year and now alot of us are seeing his spot as a weakness.

A pass rush always helps you cover everybody.

You can have all the pass rush in the world, that doesn't give Peterson the ability to stay with a tight end for more than half a step (which he is no longer able to do).

We led the league in pressures. That means we were only a split second away from sacks on many occasions. You don't think that the maturation of Biermann and Sidbury will turn some of those into sacks this year? I believe that is where we fundamentally disagree. I see, two very talented atheletes maturing. Especially with Biermann, at this point, all the signs are there. He's been putting the time in in the weight room and it shows in the bulk he's added last offseason and is working to add right now. His work ethic and motor are second to none. He has spoken in interviews about his desire to improve as a run stopper as well as his pass rush (signs of a guy trying to become a complete DE). His improvement between year one and two was draastic and was rewarded with a sizeable increase in playing time. How many times over the years when this whole board was arguing about JA98 did most of us agree that we couldn't make final judgement on him until year three because that's when most defensive ends (Patrick Kerney for example) come into their own. This is year three. This year he will shine. Then there's Sidbury, who at this point is certainly a situational guy with awesome pass rushing potential. Expect to see him make the same leap the BEERMAN did last year.

The pass rush will improve this season. Not because of some first round pick or blockbuster deal. But because Dimitroff drafted these guys to develop to where they are now at this time for this reason. It's clearly part of the process. It's coming together before our eyes.

We led the league in pressures.

Where did you get that stat? I'm not doubting you or being a smart*ss, I am just wondering where that stat is kept. It doesn't seem right to me, seemed like most QBs we played had all day and then some to throw.

Where did you get that stat? I'm not doubting you or being a smart*ss, I am just wondering where that stat is kept. It doesn't seem right to me, seemed like most QBs we played had all day and then some to throw.

I was foolishly repeating what I've heard too may people saying on here. However, you can see indiviudual stats here....

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=DE3&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

I guess I should compile them on my own before making the previous statement. However, you'll see Abe had the third most in the NFL. Biermann also had a pretty high number as well.

Edited by norbendon

we have gotten better.

we still have weakness but so does every team.

Robinson and Spoon add a lot of speed and athletic ability. and coverage ability.

A pass rush does help but even great pass rushers can not get to a guy when its 3 steps and getting the ball out.

It works together, better coverage helps pass rush and pass rush helps better coverage.

LE:Biermann-average if he doesn't improve, solid if he improves this year

DT:Jerry-Likely solid, average at worst if healthy

DT:Babs-Strength

RE:Abe-Strength

WLB:Spoon-Strength. Expect him to contend for ROY

MLB:Lofton-Strength

SLB:Nicholas-Solid

CB:Robinson-Strength

CB:Owens-he or Grimes is solid here

FS:Decoud-Strength

SS:Moore-he or Coleman is solid here

The biggest question marks are Biermann, Jerry, and Moore. Biermann was pretty good last year with a huge jump from year one to year two. It is only reasonable to expect him to at least get a bit better from year two to year three. Any improvement from his play last year makes him at least an average starter at LE. Jerry looked disruptive last year before his injury, he is a solid starter when healthy. Moore is a big question mark, but if he wins the starting job, that means he's better than Coleman. If he's better than Coleman then he's likely a solid player. There are no glaring weakness on this defense, and the LBs are now the strength of the unit. The entire front seven will be a strength if Jerry is as disruptive as he was drafted to be. If he is, then this will be one of the best pass rushing DT combos in the league, meaning a lot of sack opportunities for the DEs.

However, we do have a possible 4-game suspension for Babs coming up. Or have we all forgotten that traffic stop in Gwinnett County.