So at the bottom of the screen it's going over stuff about the draft, and talking about depth at various positions. It did QB depth (Ryan, Redman), RB depth (Turner, Norwood) and then it did WR depth, and it said Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez (TE). Even ESPN knows we don't have a #2 WR.

In IND and ATL the #2 receiving option is the TE not the #2WR

In Dallas the #1 receiving option is the TE not the #1WR

In Balt the #1 receiving option is the RB not the #1 WR

It just depends on the team scheme.

It actually depends on the players and not the scheme. Witten is a good receiving TE and is better than the WR until Austin emerged and I am pretty sure Austin will get more touches this upcoming season if he continues to improve. The RB was the number #1 option because he is a good reciever, those numbers will decline with the addition of boldin. It depends on the players not the scheme.

It actually depends on the players and not the scheme. Witten is a good receiving TE and is better than the WR until Austin emerged and I am pretty sure Austin will get more touches this upcoming season if he continues to improve. The RB was the number #1 option because he is a good reciever, those numbers will decline with the addition of boldin. It depends on the players not the scheme.

Normally an OC develops his scheme around the talent he has available to put on the field

so I meant the same thing you are saying about players when I used the term scheme

ie ATL would be foolish not to try to go to a future Hall of Fame TE when he is on the team so the plays/scheme are built around the TE being high on the option list.

That is to say the TE is not LAST on the progression list.

Edited by delaigle

Normally an OC develops his scheme around the talent he has available to put on the field

so I meant the same thing you are saying about players when I used the term scheme

ie ATL would be foolish not to try to go to a future Hall of Fame TE when he is on the team so the plays/scheme are built around the TE being high on the option list.

That is to say the TE is not LAST on the progression list.

You and I are a minority on this board... :lol: . I still like MJ too.

I think ESPN may be going off of production...meaning receiving yeards or catches for the depth chart?? who knows, but the good point here is, YES the Falcons do NOT have a really good #2 WR...

If you pull out #2WRs only and rake and stack them. Jenkins fall in the middle of the pack.

It varies depending if you stack by #catches, total yds, y/catch, YAC but he will be in the 16-19

range any way. The only place he falls real low is in TDs, tied with many others at #24.

If however you go through all the #2WRs and pull out the ones that are the #3 option in the pass

progression of the QB then Jenkins fairs some better. But not a great deal.

BUt there is a thing that is true on many different teams (not all) but many. There is a great drop off in the # receptions between the #1 catcher and the #3 catcher. I use catcher because it could be WR, TE, or RB.

ATL and of course Jenkins happens to be one of those team, as is IND. and several others.

On teams (NO) where the drop off is not great the sum of all catches for #1,#2,#3 is the same as on teams with the big drop off it's just a different distribution.

BAD EXAMPLE ATL 85+83+50 =218 N.O. 70+51+48 =169

so here it was the catches below #3 that made up the difference.

So NO Jenkins is not a great #2 WR(he's middle of the pack or a little better) but then only a few teams have a GREAT #2 WR.

There were only 6 #2WR with 60 or more catches, there were 12 with between 50-59 catches.

Team Player receptions

NE Moss 83

Pitt Holmes 79

GB Jennings68

Arz Boldin 85

Ind Collie 60

Minn Harvin 60

Edited by delaigle