All overrated: Mays, Tebow, Gerhart, Rolle part of class

disagree on 3.

Bulaga, Weatherspoon, & Rolle.

1. Bulaga, you are taking a 1 game snapshot and using that for your entire judgement. Are you factoring in that Bulaga was returning from a 3 game layoff due to a thyroid problem when they played Michigan? The week prior he played a few snaps to get his feet wet against a D-II (or something like that) school before the Michigan game, but this was his first significant time back against quality opponents. Some of the symptoms of thyroid problems are fatigue, exhaustion, feeling run down and sluggish, difficulty concentrating, & brain fog. All of these can be controlled with medication, but it does take time to get doses right. I do believe that affected him in the Michigan game. Look at Jose Reyes of the Mets for an indication of how long it should take to get back after thyroid issues. Bulaga will be fine.

2. Weatherspoon, I agree he probably won't be a superstar, but he's not going as a top 5 pick either. A team drafting him expecting a solid starter at LB for the next 7 - 10 years is going to be very happy with what they get.

3. Rolle, overrated? He's probably going to go in the 4th round or so, just about exactly where he should. I don't see that as overrated. Now if someone jumps on him in round 2, then yeah, that team probably overrated him, but I don't see anybody doing that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand this hate towards Rolle just because he has something great to look forward to after football. It's as if people are taking it as an insult that something could be possibly greater than a football career, and that having one should be good enough.

I don't ever remember this guy saying he's going to play a couple years and then quit whenever he feels like becoming a doctor. It's an immature and surprisingly stupid assumption.

Wake up, folks.

God forbid football isnt the end all-be all in his life right?

+1

TD has stated numerous times that he believes our biggest problem with the pass rush last year in the middle, and that they believe Abraham will come back strong. He thinks with the return of Jerry our pass rush problems will be helped greatly.

With that in mind, going with OLB do to Peterson's poor play and lack of depth hardly seems like a crazy idea.

He also stated that they were looking to add an edge rusher this offseason, maybe he changed his mind after continuing to further review tapes, but he did state that.

God forbid football isnt the end all-be all in his life right?

+1

That's great and all, but when you draft someone for your NFL team, you want football to be the end-all in their life. At least initially. You want those guys that are simply dedicated to the game. Myron's dream has always been to be a doctor which is tremendous, just not the right dream if you want to be a good NFL player. If playing in the NFL is your ultimate goal for your 20's, you don't take a year off to pursue something else.

That's great and all, but when you draft someone for your NFL team, you want football to be the end-all in their life. At least initially. You want those guys that are simply dedicated to the game. Myron's dream has always been to be a doctor which is tremendous, just not the right dream if you want to be a good NFL player. If playing in the NFL is your ultimate goal for your 20's, you don't take a year off to pursue something else.

You're making assumptions. You're assuming that becuause this guy has something better than football in the long-run, that's his main focus regardless of what he's going to do before it. Don't you think that if you have the brains to be a neurosurgeon, that you'd be smart enough to understand that your football career (as a safety) will last until early 30's? EARLY 30'S! The guy has plenty of time and he knows it.

And I have no idea where you get the idea that football teams want their players to be football players with no future, only to dump them when they pass the 30 mark. That is very selfish and far from the truth.

Having spoken with Rolle himself a couple years ago, he told me face-to-face that he's always wanted to be a football player. Are you that limited to believe that he cannot want both? That's what he defined as being a "student athlete". If you have any common sense, taking a year off from football to ensure that you have something great when you do finish is the right thing to do.

It's unbelievable how prioritized "tradition" and "the way things have always been done" is to some people. Get over yourselves.

Cheers,

GO

Mays could be the next Ronnie Lott. I've watchsd every game he's played in, and he just dominates.

The only reason for the drop off his senior year is cordinators stopped going to his side of the field. They gave up ala Deion in his prime. I'm a Falcon fan since '73 but now live in thhe desert of the NFL, Los Angeles.

So I follow USC.

"not the right dream if you want to be a good NFL player"

I honestly dont understand that statement, because wanting to be a doctor has nothing to do with being/not being a good football player.

And the guy will be 23 at the start of the season...not exactly over the hill.

Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford

He's a tough kid who plays hard and put up some big numbers at Stanford.

But I don't see the elusiveness you need in a back on the next level. He isn't running over people either like he did for the Cardinal.

He is supposed to be a really good kid. And you get the feeling people are rooting for him to succeed. But I see him as more of a fullback than a feature back. You must make people miss on the big-boy level as a starting runner and I don't think he can do that on a consistent basis.

So you want to take the third leading rusher in U.S. high school history, and the leading rusher in D-1 last year and turn him into a fullback. Really?....Really? Now that's funny I don't care who you are. It appears your 'cism is showing just a bit. Petey Carrell at USC had the same thoughts when Gerhart came out of HS...wanted him to play OLB or FB. Toby flipped him a bird, signed with Stanford who said he would run the ball and Toby ran it down USC's throat the past two years. LMAO

Good article. I think most are right and I fully agree with the Spoon comments. I've wanted Graham all along but my second choice may be Spoon depending on whose left. Graham is the guy we need if there and I couldn't see anyway we could pass on him. I don't like Morgan at all, he just couldn't get it done against good competition and was completely shut down alot of games. I don't know about JPP. He has alot of potential but we need someone ready to contribute,IMO. I wouldn't mind trading down but only IF Graham is gone.

The most overrated of this list, in my opinion, is Carlos Dunlap. I completely agree with the part about him not being dominant and his former teammates who were dominant, have done nothing in the NFL thus far.

Coming from a bulldog fan......

Its cool. Dunlap has 20 sacks in 2 starting seasons, MVP of title game, Part of a #1 overall defense in the NCAA.

Played DE his whole life, unlike JA98 and Dunlap giving 80% like most claim is better than most DEs in the draft 100%.

Mays could be the next Ronnie Lott. I've watchsd every game he's played in, and he just dominates.

The only reason for the drop off his senior year is cordinators stopped going to his side of the field. They gave up ala Deion in his prime. I'm a Falcon fan since '73 but now live in thhe desert of the NFL, Los Angeles.

So I follow USC.

Ronnie Lott was a complete safety that was known for his vicious hits.

T. Mays is simple known for being an enforcer. Not a big playmaker.

Consensus is that he struggles man to man against inferior competition, coverage is simply not his thing.

Making him a LB might be best for his NFL career.

I like how honest this scout is in this article. A first round player should be a guy who impacts your team, not a guy who can fill in a starting position. I feel Spoon is not going to be a Patrick Willis type of play maker line backer. He will probably be at most a run stopper on a good day. Its like Chris Johnson. He is and was the best first round pick of that year. He has brought the Titans to a new level with his play and everyone on the defense has to account for him, which leaves others to make plays. That is the type of player a first rounder should be. He should be some one who brings a new element to the team, not just a "starter". And yes Spoon is just a "starter". The guy who can bring the most impact to this team would be Graham at 19. I believe Graham could really bring that new element to the defense. If you just watch him one on one attack an offensive lineman, Graham really brings an aggressive approach to his game.

Are you serious? Patrick Willis is a monster, you could easily say he is the best LB in the game right now. Thats an awful comparison.

And how do you know what Spoon will be on a good day? On a bad day he still might be a leader on the a Defense that is relatively young and getting better and better. Dont say Spoon will be at most a good run stopper on a good day. The guy can cover, he brings speed and urgency to the Defense, and is a leader.

We dont need Spoon to make things happen for other players. The players on our Defense compliments each other very well. You wanna run up the middle then find we have 2 quick penetrating DT's waithing for you, if you get past them then you have to deal with our thumper Curtis Lofton. Running up the middle is not working then fine run outside but just know we got 2 fast OLB's, 1 is Spoon and he will find the ball and if you want to stretch it to the sideline then fine Spoon has no problem showing of his speed and ability to get to the sideline and still make the tackle.

Run the ball and stop the run. Coach Smith has stated that this is exactly what we want to do. We can surely run the ball and with the progress the Run D made over the course of last year we are a few pieces( maybe just one piece away) from running the ball extremely well and stuffing the run extremely well.

When teams cant run they have to throw, thats when we will see the Predator show back up. Thats when Dunta our big FA will dominate opposing number 1 recievers. Thats when we will see the range of Decoud and Moore making plays all over the field.

Run the ball and Stop the Run. Spoon can help us stop the run and he can also throw in some good coverage skills as well.

And how with Spoons play making ability and leadership not bring another element to this team? And thats fine if Spoons just a starter cause thats exactly what we need at OLB, but if you just want to think he is a playmaker then fine thats your own opinion but atleast try to get your facts straight first.

I'm not going to bash Graham or anything like that because he will be a very good player in the NFL imo, but dont talk down Spoon as if he's a guy that getting talked up to much because he can back up all of his hype with the stats he has produced.

Coming from a bulldog fan......

Its cool. Dunlap has 20 sacks in 2 starting seasons, MVP of title game, Part of a #1 overall defense in the NCAA.

Played DE his whole life, unlike JA98 and Dunlap giving 80% like most claim is better than most DEs in the draft 100%.

I Smell BS.. You Are a Gator Fan. No UGA Fan Can possibly Have Joe Haden As an Avi And Say C.Dunlap Isn't OVERRATED. That's Like Saying I (A Huge Falcons Fan) Think Reggie Bush Was A Great Pick And Definitely Worth The #2 Overall pick and would have Drew Brees As An Avi. Not Happening. If You Are A UGA Fan You Are not a Very Loyal or Good One If you're siding with The Gators in anything. (BTW Not An UGA Fan Nor A Gator Fan)

You know, I agree with everything in this article. Some of them will be good NFL players, but some are clearly over-hyped. Spoon is not a pass rushing linebacker..remember that kids. We need PASS RUSH.

With the Spoon love fest on this board you're not gonna find too many that agree with you..

Maybe. But I agree with him. Much rather have Graham or Pouncey over Spoon.

But you're missing the point. He's dominated in college, what else more can he do?

Dominating college ball doesn't always mean dominating the NFL. Graham is overrated in my book, I think there's just better DE's to have in the later rounds.

Dominating college ball doesn't always mean dominating the NFL. Graham is overrated in my book, I think there's just better DE's to have in the later rounds.

Yeah, that's been proven a lot over the years. I have doubts too with Graham but it's not enough for me to put him as overrated. Just curious, what other DEs do you think would be better for the LDE spot over Graham?

I could dominate in college football also, doesn't mean I will dominate in the NFL.

None of these draftees can prove that they have dominated in the NFL because they have not played in the NFL. They have only played in college and therefore cannot have NFL experience and therefore none of these draftees are worthy of being picked because you are setting a standard that is unrealistic and abysmal.

Feel me?

GO