realisticly who gets there first?

is this the year the hawks finaly get a ring? or perhaps lose in the confrence championship to the cavs, and the falcons get the ring. do thee thrashers squeek into the playofffs and go on a run? do the braves give bobby cox a ring as a parting gift? weve got great to slightly above average teams in all 4 sports who gets the job done?? (and yes i know about 95)

Hawks- They are a great team, and they are close. I really admire what they have become. Still, I'm sorry, I don't see them winning it all as long as Lebron is with the Cavs.

Falcons

Braves

Thrashers- I think it will be a LONG while before this team even gets deep in the playoffs.

Hawks- They are a great team, and they are close. I really admire what they have become. Still, I'm sorry, I don't see them winning it all as long as Lebron is with the Cavs.

Falcons

Braves

Thrashers- I think it will be a LONG while before this team even gets deep in the playoffs.

I agree about the Hawks cause right now they would most likely have to beat the Magic and Cavs in the playoffs to get to the Championship. After that they would have to beat the Lakers, Mavs, Nuggets, or whoever wins the West.

So, I have a question since we all seem to be in agreement that the Hawks have a long road before they can get past the Magic and Cavs. What do you think the Hawks need to be able to get past these teams? I watch a good bit of basketball, but I'm sure a lot of you are more knowledgeable on it than I am.

I say the Hawks because they are headed to the playoffs and anything is possible once you make the playoffs. Remember the 8th seed Hawks pushed the 1 seed Celtics to 7 games a couple years ago.

True, and the 8th seed Golden State Warriors beat the 1st seed Mavericks a few years back. The thing you have to remember though, neither won a championship. The Magic and Cavs have had the Hawks number for a while now. It's not even considered a rivalry because they have been seriously dominated in some games by these teams. Unless they can get over those two humps, they won't even get out of the second round much less compete in the Finals.

So, I have a question since we all seem to be in agreement that the Hawks have a long road before they can get past the Magic and Cavs. What do you think the Hawks need to be able to get past these teams? I watch a good bit of basketball, but I'm sure a lot of you are more knowledgeable on it than I am.

One thing is to get Josh Smith to not take to many jump shots. Another is they need to drive the lane and get the opposing big men in foul trouble especially when facing the Magic got to get Howard off his game quick and earlier. The Hawks are tough to beat when they drive the lane and/or score a lot in the paint opening up Bibby, Crawford, and even Johnson up for open three pointers. I watch as many Hawks games as I can when I can and this is basically what Dominique says often during games.

True, and the 8th seed Golden State Warriors beat the 1st seed Mavericks a few years back. The thing you have to remember though, neither won a championship. The Magic and Cavs have had the Hawks number for a while now. It's not even considered a rivalry because they have been seriously dominated in some games by these teams. Unless they can get over those two humps, they won't even get out of the second round much less compete in the Finals.

True, but we are the 3 seed this year and if we are lucky maybe a 8th seed will upset a Cleveland or Orlando in the first round. Unlikely but you never know because some teams just matchup better against certain teams regardless of the seeding.

Hawks

Falcons

Braves

Thrashers

Everyone is concerned with how the Hawks are going to perform in the postseason. Well, I for one am not. Joe Johnson is looking like a giant among kids out there and so is Josh Smith. Al Horford looks like a 10 year vet and dont even get me going on Crawford. The Hawks are the 3rd best team in the NBA. Behind LA and Clev. Our young Hawks have continuously improved in both the season and postseason. I look for them to make a strong push to the finals this year. I also am almost 100% positive they will have an NBA championship in 3 years. If Johnson stays.

Hawks

Falcons

Braves

Thrashers

Everyone is concerned with how the Hawks are going to perform in the postseason. Well, I for one am not. Joe Johnson is looking like a giant among kids out there and so is Josh Smith. Al Horford looks like a 10 year vet and dont even get me going on Crawford. The Hawks are the 3rd best team in the NBA. Behind LA and Clev. Our young Hawks have continuously improved in both the season and postseason. I look for them to make a strong push to the finals this year. I also am almost 100% positive they will have an NBA championship in 3 years. If Johnson stays.

That is the real question will Johnson stay. And about them being able to get get past the Cavs and Magic they can't get over zealous when they get close or get the lead and start shooting a lot of jump shot. They need to keep driving to the basket.

Hawks - they can beat CLE. They played them closer than they played ORL this year. They have the best chance of all the local teams. That all depends on what happens with Joe. I would go after LeBron or Dwayne Wade. Add a young center to Jamal, Josh and Horford and we're outta here. One year away.

Braves - they are close to where the Falcons are but I'll give them the edge just because of the pitching staff. It's nice. They also have some nice young pieces comin up. Depends on who the next manager is IMO. Two years away.

Falcons - should get back to the playoffs but still soft in the trenches. On both sides of the ball. That's where you win championships. Three years away.

Thrashers - close to being a good team but have the worst odds of the local teams. Four years away.

Hawks will first, just because they are almost playing the playoffs, and the Falcons have to wait a year.

Charlotte has owned Cleveland, so hopefully they draw them and upset Lebron, and then the Hawks can get a good road to a ring.

I don't see the Braves there this year, but I pray they could pull off a miracle.

Thrashers... um... they need to find a geni-infested lamp to even sniff the cup.

Thanks for the great responses guys. I do want another championship in Atlanta, and though I think they can't beat the monsters of CLE and ORL, two years ago I never thought they would beat Boston either. As for the Thrashers, I think they are VERY far away from even go deep in the playoffs, championship anytime soon is out of the question. I just don't have any faith in Don Waddell. I thought with Tampa and Carolina winning championships a while back that the Thrashers were next in line. I was VERY wrong.

Thanks for the great responses guys...

It's all good. I enjoy this topic. I follow all local teams (Georgia is local for me).

I post a similar thread every year as soon as the basketball and hockey teams close out. I didn't do so well in 2008 but got most of 2009 right. Here's a link to the current thread:

Who Will Have The Best Season

Hawks

Braves

Falcons

Thrashers.

Hawks will win this season and so will the Bravos. But even though we havent beat Cleveland this year we have played them tough for 3 and 1/2 quarters evry game. While they are very good come playoffs our 6th man is better than their 6th man and our 6th man Crawford can take control of game in the 4th qt. In the playoffs I think we have to much fire power from Bibby, Joe, and Crawford for Cleveland. Also if Marvin decides to put a string of solid games together we can be the most dangerous team in the playoffs when you add in Al, Josh, and our most dangerous player Zaza PACHUUUUUULIA.

And it seems everytime we play Orlando Dwight gets 30 fouls shots and if he doesnt he cries. He throws down some big time dunks and some blocks but if you really get into him like Zaza did the final game when we beat them he's soft.

I cant stand Dwight but looking at what the matchups might be in the playoffs, if Orlando play the Bobcats dont be surprised to see the Cats win. Their a divisional team that has only beat the Magic once this year but the won game they won is when they started clicking on all cylinders and beat Orlando in Orlando 96 to 89.

Falcons

Hawks

Braves

the problem of the Hawks and Braves is coaching. if the Hawks had a good coach they easily win 14 more games this year that were decided in the cloasing minutes this year. I only know about 'coaching' in baseball by a few friends of mine. they say that the reason the Braves won all those division titles but yet no World Series was pretty much due to their lack of coaching and since they only have one World Series championship, I guess I have to agree, lol.

So you're saying the first 3 are going to all win it all this season right? :D

Hawks, Braves, and Falcons all have a shot at the title this year... hopefully one of them brings it home. I would love to see the Braves go out with a bang since this is Cox's last season.

Plus one Sir

Gotta say it goes

Braves - They have one of the best pitching staffs in the majors, a new right fielder that is looking REALLY good, Chipper, Glaus, McCann... if these guys play motivated baseball (which I think they will for Bobby) then they have everything it takes to win this year.

Falcons - The draft and the injury bug are the two big components here. If the players we draft in the 1st and 3rd (or 2nd if we trade into it) can make an impact, and Jerry, Moore, and Douglas come back strong, it's hard to see a flaw in this team. There are a lot of ifs in that, though. I think the Falcons could do it this year, but it'll probably be 2 years, when Beerman and Sidbury are in their 3rd seasons.

Hawks - They have a shot at winning this year, but it would take a miracle upset in the playoffs, either by another team upsetting the Cavs or the Hawks upsetting the Magic or Cavs. I don't see it happening. The best shot they have this year is to get the 4 seed, have Cleveland get upset, the Celtics beat the Magic in the second round, and it's a Hawks-Celtics East finals. I think the Hawks could take the Lakers in the west, or if the Jazz made it, I'd be very confident in the Hawks taking that series. Once again, a lot of ifs going on here. I wish the Hawks had a point guard that would slash and penetrate to the bucket. It would make this team way better. Oh, and can they put something in the ball that shocks Josh Smith's hands if he touches it outside the offensive paint?

Thrashers - This is the team I love more than any of the others, because hockey is my favorite sport, and this franchise is completely and utterly hopeless. It makes me sad just to think about it... Evander Kane is a gamer, though, and their new assistant GM (who should get the job outright because Waddell is just bad) has them taking smart draft picks. There's hope down the line, but man, I would be surprised to see it happen anytime soon.