The Case for Sergio Kindle by The Smartest Man in the World (Me)

The Official Sergio Poll  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Why don't you want the Falcons to draft Sergio Kindle?

• I actually DO want Sergio Kindle.
    • I just don't trust the guy, and yes, it's a Texas thing.
    • Who is Sergio Kindle? Did you mean Sean Witherspoon?
    • Peria Jerry will be back next year and he will have 1,000 sacks.
    • My friend knows a very high ranking individual in the Falcons brass who said that there is a chance that Kindle may very possibly be a bust.
    • LOL-Do you know how to use the search feature? Someone made a Sergio Kindle thread in January of 2008. Newbie! LOL!
    • Special teams decides 4-5 games every year-vote Leigh Tiffin in round 1
    • I watched his 3-cone drill at the combine on the NFL Network, and it sent up some red flags... Did I tell you I work as a scout when I'm not posting 60 times a day?
    • I LOVE THOMAS DIMITROFF!!!KJADHLKGAHDG
    • I don't need a reason-I have 40,000 posts, and my lack of a life somehow makes my opinion more valid than yours.

Why aren't we talking about Sergio Kindle? Why isn't ANYONE talking about Sergio Kindle? All I hear about is Ndamakung Suh. Let's talk about a prospect who's first name I can actually spell. Speaking of which, Sergio is a pretty good first name. This is reason #1 why we should draft him. Kindle. Amazon.com liked it so much, they named their e-reader after him. The guy's not even in the pros yet, and Amazon.com wants a piece, and you guys start 6,000 topics about Sean Witherspoon, or "Spoon." Come on man... That's an eating utensil. Give me just ONE guy who had a successful NFL career while being named after an eating utensil, and I will admit that I'm wrong... You can't do it. I rest my case. Stop talking about Sean Witherspoon, he won't be there at 19.

The biggest knock on Kindle is that he is undersized and is more of a 3-4 OLB than a 4-3 OLB/DE. Well, that argument is about as worthless as my kite I made out of rocks. The fact of the matter is that Sergio Kindle CAN play in a 4-3 as an OLB/DE. Case and point: Brian Orakpo. People made this SAME argument last year about Orakpo, and what did he do? He played OLB and DE in Washington's 4-3 last year, racked up 50 tackles, 11 sacks, and a spot in the Pro Bowl. Sergio Kindle and Orakpo are almost the same exact person.

So there you have it. Very compelling argument. If you still want Witherspoon: have fun crying when the Giants pick him. If you want Brandon Graham: don't joke around, he lives in Michigan, the commute to Atlanta is just too ridiculous.

Disclaimer: This thread is tongue in cheek, I just think it would be great if we could discuss someone besides Spoon and Graham, who will both be gone by 19, but I also don't want the other person we discuss to be that WR from Georgia Tech. Come on... How are you going to take a WR from a triple-option offense in the first round? You know who would be a good wide receiver in a triple-option offense? Tyson Clabo. He can block, and when no one is expecting him to, he'll run a "go" route and catch the defense with their pants down.

probably because Sergio Kindle in the 4-3 is like a round peg in a square hole. Kindle has the tools to be an elite 3-4 DE. In a 4-3, he is too small and weak to play DE, and not quick or fluid enough to play OLB. Atlanta runs a lot of cover 2 and I would be hard pressed to say that Kindle even remotely fit the cover 2 defense. He just isn't that fluid.

Also, the Orakpo argument is a horrible one. Orakpo is a much more fluid athlete than Kindle is. Orakpo also was blitzing over 35% of the time he lined up as a LB. Orakpo only looked good as a blitzer from the LB spot and was awful from there in both run and pass coverage. He was miscast and a horrible fit for a 4-3 OLB and with Washington experimenting with the 3-4 a lot more this year it will be interesting to see how well he does.

probably because Sergio Kindle in the 4-3 is like a round peg in a square hole. Kindle has the tools to be an elite 3-4 DE. In a 4-3, he is too small and weak to play DE, and not quick or fluid enough to play OLB. Atlanta runs a lot of cover 2 and I would be hard pressed to say that Kindle even remotely fit the cover 2 defense. He just isn't that fluid.

Also, the Orakpo argument is a horrible one. Orakpo is a much more fluid athlete than Kindle is. Orakpo also was blitzing over 35% of the time he lined up as a LB. Orakpo only looked good as a blitzer from the LB spot and was awful from there in both run and pass coverage. He was miscast and a horrible fit for a 4-3 OLB and with Washington experimenting with the 3-4 a lot more this year it will be interesting to see how well he does.

I disagree. Scott Wright, who knows more about the NFL Draft than either one of us, had this to say about Kindle:

Strengths:

Good size with long arms and a real muscular physique --- Outstanding natural athleticism --- Is explosive with fine speed, quickness and a burst --- Nice agility and balance --- Physical and aggressive --- Is extremely strong and powerful --- Uses his hands well --- Can take on and shed blockers --- Fantastic pass rusher / blitzer and can bend off the edge --- Active with a good motor --- Terrific range --- Does a great job in pursuit --- A powerful tackler and can deliver the big hit --- Fluid enough to drop in coverage and play in space --- Superb instincts and awareness --- Super tough --- Competitive --- Offers a lot of versatility.

Weaknesses:

Ran into some trouble off the field and character is a concern --- Is not real stout at the point of attack --- Will play too tall at times --- Could transition more smoothly --- Minor durability issues --- Bit of a 'tweener.

Notes:

Was a two-year starter for the Longhorns --- Named 1st Team All-Big 12 in 2008 and 2nd Team in 2009 --- Saw extensive action as a backup linebacker and special teamer early in his career --- Played outside linebacker in 2008 and defensive end in 2009 --- Served as a team captain as a senior --- Had a rough upbringing and was abandoned by his mother for drugs as a child --- Was arrested and charged with driving while intoxicated in July of 2007, which led to a three game suspension --- Drove his car into an apartment building while text messaging and left the scene of the accident in June of 2009 but no charges were filed --- Was hobbled at times by knee, neck and ankle injuries during his college career --- A hybrid with the ability to play either defensive end or outside linebacker at the next level --- An extremely talented prospect who can be an impact player as long as he continues to mature and stays out of trouble --- Reminiscent of former teammate Brian Orakpo and should carry a similar grade on Draft Day.

Source: http://www.draftcountdown.com/ScoutingReports/OLB/Sergio-Kindle.php

You see what I've done there? I've bolded the the parts that contradict what you said. :)

Oh, and I'm fine with drafting him to play DE. DE is a greater need than OLB anywhere, and I'd rather pay the big bucks for an elite pass rusher than an OLB. Great pass rushers, corners, quarterbacks, and left tackles command the big bucks because they are hard to find. Linebackers are like running backs, they're a dime a dozen.

Orakpo played very well for Washington. He also played end at Texas, and performed very well.

Kindle played OLB for Texas and was pretty successful, until last year when they put him in at DE and he was underwhelming. I think he had about 5 sacks. It's pretty clear his best spot is at OLB. He's also a little smaller than Orakpo, who was a little smallish to play DE in a 4-3 anyways. Next, I don't see where he can fit in as an OLB, considering we need one who can cover. We would be paying top price to play him outside of his strength that will make him a top pick. It would almost be like taking Jimmy Clausen to play safety, because we can't fit him in at QB. Lastly, Amazon will not stop sending me emails about buying a friggin Kindle. I don't want one.

And he shouldn't fall to us. We could get much bigger impact and fill in needs in our defensive scheme with a lot of other players.

I have also picked: "I don't need a reason-I have 40,000 posts, and my lack of a life somehow makes my opinion more valid than yours."

Edited by sporkdevil

If Kindle is there at 19 I like taking him. I think he would complement our defense well.

I would have to consider him as well if he's there at 19, 3-4....4-3 who cares we want players straight up. Is there any scientific evidence that kindle cant play OLB- he looked hella fast and quick to the ball against bama...Jus say'n

I would have to consider him as well if he's there at 19, 3-4....4-3 who cares we want players straight up. Is there any scientific evidence that kindle cant play OLB- he looked hella fast and quick to the ball against bama...Jus say'n

That's another good point - Kindle shows up in big games. He was everywhere in the national championship game this past season.

I really don't get it. All of these mock drafters that say he doesn't fit in a 4-3 have him going to the Eagles a couple picks after us. The Eagles run a 4-3.....

That's another good point - Kindle shows up in big games. He was everywhere in the national championship game this past season.

I really don't get it. All of these mock drafters that say he doesn't fit in a 4-3 have him going to the Eagles a couple picks after us. The Eagles run a 4-3.....

Yeah, but it's a different type of 4-3. They blitz their faces off. However, Philly doesn't really put high picks into LB's.